Is "giving up gaming" an option in your life?

Noyu

Before anything else, do check out my sig.

As you've probably noticed, I'm GPU-less. This has been my build for almost a year now. Earlier this year, I sold my R9 380 to get funds for a bigger IPS Monitor.

This was all within my build plan which was to upgrade to a better GPU by the end of 2017.

Unfortunately, it's already almost the end of 2017 and I sitll don't have funds for the GPU. The GPU was supposed to be funded by my Christmas bonus but that money got re-allocated for my wisdom teeth surgery.

Anyways going to my point, I've been contemplating to just quit gaming altogether. This way I can focus my money on better stuff like travel, experiences, savings, adult stuff.....

OR OR I COULD JUST PULL OUT MY SAVINGS/INVESTMENTS AND BUY AN RX580 A GAMESIR G3S AND A LOGITECH G603 AND BRAG TO MYSELF  HOW AWESOME MY WHOLE SETUP IS ERMAGERD

Have you ever considered giving up gaming? I know most (if not all) of the people here are gamers, casual or hardcore. To those who have already said goodbye to gaming, how was the first few months? years?

Don't get me wrong, I've tried quitting gaming for awhile (twice already actually ahaha). And I can really see the difference in my lifestyle. I'm healthier, I go out more, and I'm just generally better.

edit: oh wow this got a bit more replies than what I anticipated. gimme a sec to reply to all of u kek

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

There was a youtuber... deltiasgaming I think it is spelled who used to play a lot of ESO. (A mmo game). To my knowledge he hasn't fully quit, but he stopped for at least 6 months and started watching his calories and carbs, going to the gym and spending more time with his newborn son and family. He's back to playing games now but on a much more routine schedule and honestly you can see major improvements with his lifestyle since he stopped gaming so much.

You sound like you're trying to quit a smack habit. Like, chill dude, it's just video games.

It's not something you have quit. You can certainly stop putting money towards games and PC parts. But you can always come back to it.

If you want to travel and spend your time on other things then just do that. There's no reason to make it into something it's not.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

ok so my parents have tried but when I am allowed to play again I always fall back into my habits and the only reason they are cool with me gaming now is because By building a pc I can edit photos and video in premier and light room. but I was addicted to mobile games till one day it was just boring and boring to play ex Clash of Clans or any other mobile games.

but I think I will be gaming at least into my early 30's and I have loved playing and have made many good friends. 

So yeah.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

100% give it up? No. Married to a non-gamer who is not exactly understanding of gaming, especially online with friends into the early hours... so, pretty much gaming a LOT less than ever before. I need the escape it offers from time to time though... Real life isn't all that fun to look at.

I've npretty much played games since before I started walking. While I play much less lately, a 100% stop on gaming isn't likely to happen.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Nope, what else would I fill my free time with TV? You can't go out all the time, mostly because money, but also liver damage. Cars, love them but an eye-wateringly expensive hobby, especially if you track them more than once or twice a year. 

I've certainly gave it up as a daily thing. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

For a day or two, but giving up this form of escape would be hard for me and as long as I can keep it a healthy part of my routine I see nothing to gain by giving it up completely. 

Everything in moderation though.

I reduced gaming when I started to work. Now I have a wife and a baby, but I still enjoy 1 hour/day of light gaming with Rocket League :). No more long sessions though... But I wasn't a hardcore gamer to start with.

I stopped gaming and my grades went from C's to B / As. I'm very happy that I did. I'm also thinner and healthier. I'm still broke however.

Selling your graphics card to buy a better gaming monitor and then hope to buy a new graphics card later seems like a pretty stupid plan.  It seems to me that a graphics card + so-so monitor = gaming still.

Every time i get a job my game time quickly falls to near zero. 

I wouldn't give it up completely though.

Spending an hour or two turning demons into ground beef or just wandering different game worlds is a nice way to recharge.

Since i can't afford to travel i can at least visit Novigrad or Velen, San andreas or any other place. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Generally I average about 20 hours for two weeks according to Steam, when I have more time off I tend to play more. Since I'm quitting my job to finish what I was about to not finish and to be able to spend time with my love, I expect that two week average to skyrocket until I get a new job.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

hella no

games are the finest form of escapism ever created

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Nope. Been gaming since I was like 7. I don't watch TV in my spare time and if I'm not going outside with friends I'm on discord, gaming with other friends. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

All done in moderation.  Remember to exercise, eat well, and hygiene.  Yeah thats all I got see ya.

You know when someone asks me this I say

Hilarious_and_original.gif.29cfcd2e0f34b528138c9afda2fa991c.gif 

Closest ive come to giving up gaming would be when my internet went to crap. All I did was just exercise, moment my internet went back to normal half a year later I gained all the weight I lost :( 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

If I have no time for it, sure, I'll sell all my gaming stuff and find something else to do. It's not a big deal in my life these days anyway. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Like if 5% of yearly game releases excites my interest that' a lot already... lmao... I have played only 3 games in the past 10 months, CS:GO, Life is Strange and The Witcher 3... am waiting for FFXV but all quite frankly nearly nothing is exciting to play... games as a service concept only online stuff with micro-transactions and all that shit are so disappointing...

I only like solid story driven games and those are getting rare by the day...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 hours ago, Noyu said:

Have you ever considered giving up gaming? I know most (if not all) of the people here are gamers, casual or hardcore. To those who have already said goodbye to gaming, how was the first few months? years?

More like gaming gave up on me. She said I wasn't paying enough attention to her.

1 hour ago, Monkey Dust said:

Nope, what else would I fill my free time with

I'll wikipedia that :P

Windows almost made me quit gaming. With this I mean, most games. I almost convinced myself to install a good Linux distro on my main rig and, if needed, play those games that run on linux with or without Wine

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

you can just spend less time and money on gaming.

usually people who quit gaming for good at back in like a month gaming more than ever

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

12 hours ago, Volbet said:

You sound like you're trying to quit a smack habit. Like, chill dude, it's just video games.

It's not something you have quit. You can certainly stop putting money towards games and PC parts. But you can always come back to it.

Yeah it's just video games. But when it starts interfering with certain aspects of your life (negatively), it's an addiction. On a lighter note, who says I spend money on games *wink wink*

10 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I stopped gaming and my grades went from C's to B / As. I'm very happy that I did. I'm also thinner and healthier. I'm still broke however.

I'm not exactly broke but I do get your point. hahaha When I did try stopping the state of my finances were more or less the same. It's just that I spend money on something else (or someone else kek)

10 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Selling your graphics card to buy a better gaming monitor and then hope to buy a new graphics card later seems like a pretty stupid plan.  It seems to me that a graphics card + so-so monitor = gaming still.

At the time I was moved to a condo with no internet connection. So basically my GPU was under-utilized as I was just watching movies and por~ *cough cough* TV shows with the rig. It seemed like a great idea at the time.

Just to give you an idea. INITIALLY I was just using a 20" AOC M2060SWD monitor. Bought a 27" LG IPS (w/ FreeSync). 

I wouldn't all it stupid. I just didn't expect my finances to plummet towards the end of the year.

-----------------

Final words from me: I was just contemplating haha It's not like I'm ever gonna do it. Gaming has been a part of my life. It taught me a ton of stuff and it's a part of who I am.

I've decided to give myself this one last upgrade to an RX580. And probably a Logitech G603 and a GameSir G3s in 2018.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

never do never will

it all comes down to Time management, i was never fat and my grade has always been great.

I know when to do chores, when to study, when to exercise, when to play etc etc

know priority, work efficiently, play whole-heartedly