I want my google home to turn on my TV. Let's plan this out.

TechSquidTV

I have a google assistant device and today or tomorrow I am purchasing a TV for my soon-to-be new apartment. I bought a soundbar from Vizio, and an Insignia Google Assistant device. What I am aiming to do is have something similar to "Ok Google, start Netflix" and have it launch a series of tasks. The important one here being, connecting to the chromecast, and launching the Netflix app. But I also want the TV to turn itself on. I believe the feature I need is called CEC? The only thing is the TV I am looking at talks about CEC being used to change inputs on the TV but not if it can turn on the TV when chromecast starts casting.

What exactly should I be looking for?

Also, unrelated question. The soundbar can decode Dolby Digital, and I forget, maybe two or three more. The TV can only decode one. I really only plan on using the Chromecast anyway with Plex and Netflix. Plex content could potentially have that audio but I have no idea about netflix? And does that preserve over chromecast? And then.. if it does... If i HDMI into the TV and optical to the soundbar will it pass through? Or if the TV doesn't support it will I lose it right there.

Just now, Ampix0 said:

I have a google assistant device and today or tomorrow I am purchasing a TV for my soon-to-be new apartment. I bought a soundbar from Vizio, and an Insignia Google Assistant device. What I am aiming to do is have something similar to "Ok Google, start Netflix" and have it launch a series of tasks. The important one here being, connecting to the chromecast, and launching the Netflix app. But I also want the TV to turn itself on. I believe the feature I need is called CEC? The only thing is the TV I am looking at talks about CEC being used to change inputs on the TV but not if it can turn on the TV when chromecast starts casting.

What exactly should I be looking for?

Also, unrelated question. The soundbar can decode Dolby Digital, and I forget, maybe two or three more. The TV can only decode one. I really only plan on using the Chromecast anyway with Plex and Netflix. Plex content could potentially have that audio but I have no idea about netflix? And does that preserve over chromecast? And then.. if it does... If i HDMI into the TV and optical to the soundbar will it pass through? Or if the TV doesn't support it will I lose it right there.

You can get a outlet that is wifi controlled that you can plug your TV into.

If at first you don't succeed...

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: Intel i5 6600k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x4gb)

GPU:

Storage: Seagate 500GB

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

you need to tell us what make and model of the tv it is that you are looking at. and the audio will passthrough as long as there's an optical output on the TV tested on Sony XBR X850D.