AM4 to support 2nd gen Ryzen

NumLock21
4 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

So it looks like they mean Zen+, not Zen 2. Also, Zen 2 won't be a new architecture - just an expansion on Zen.

It`s suppossed to be a completely new architecture, they`re just sticking with the Zen name because it sounds good, and Ryzen was plenty of good press

22 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well support for AM4 does not confirm that x370 will support zen+ or Zen2.

That is true, but this being AMD, I'm pretty sure that X370 / B350 will at least support Zen+, but am maybe not Zen 2.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

8 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Gamer Meld, a guy that makes Tech Videos, about +20K subscribers, unless he was lying. About 2-3 months ago.

I'll check the video out in a little but. And just FYI, subscriber count doesn't mean much, and if we were to discuss the raw number of viewers, other reviewers/testers like Jays have a higher subscriber count. It is very likely that he/she either doesn't know what IPC is, or you misheard what they said.

28 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's said 2nd gen Ryzen might get a die shrink to 12nm, enabling higher clock speeds.

This is where zen starts to get interesting. AMD should be able to close the single thread gap (both IPC and clock speeds) with intel, considering that Intel's IPC is not improving. Also according to leaks, Intel's 10nm process is also not going well, and they don't think they will see an increase in IPC until the 3rd iteration (10nm++).

I think I'll be waiting for Zen 2 to upgrade from my skylake build.

Just now, tjcater said:

I'll check the video out on a little but. And just FYI, subscriber count doesn't mean much, and if we were to discuss the raw number of viewers, other reviewers/testers like Jays have a higher subscriber count. It is very likely that he/she either doesn't know what IPC is, or you misheard what they said.

Probably, but thanks for the Info, I appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I'll check the video out in a little but. And just FYI, subscriber count doesn't mean much, and if we were to discuss the raw number of viewers, other reviewers/testers like Jays have a higher subscriber count. It is very likely that he/she either doesn't know what IPC is, or you misheard what they said.

Hey, is a 4C/8T Zen+ APU with 16 Vega CU`s and 4.4-4.6GHz frequency sounds crazy or it`s just that I want a Decent APU for long term use in Offices and as Home /Home Theater PC`s. (Add an M.2 SSD and 8GB of RAM in a Dual Channel Config aka DDR 4 3200 and you have a Great non gaming computer)

1 minute ago, ONOTech said:

Do you have a source? I'm under the impression it's analgous to Intel's architectural jump from Nehalem -> Sandy

Look at their roadmap... I dont need to say more.

Yeah, already known though. And a good thing, makes no sense changing socket every year for no actual reasons. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Hey, is a 4C/8T Zen+ APU with 16 Vega CU`s and 4.4-4.6GHz frequency sounds crazy or it`s just that I want a Decent APU for long term use in Offices and as Home /Home Theater PC`s. (Add an M.2 SSD and 8GB of RAM in a Dual Channel Config aka DDR 4 3200 and you have a Great non gaming computer)

well a 4c/8t Zen+ APU with 11 Vega CU at 3.6-3.8 is basically confirmed possible. if zen+ offers better clocks we could see some past 4Ghz.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

well a 4c/8t Zen+ APU with 11 Vega CU at 3.6-3.8 is basically confirmed possible. if zen+ offers better clocks we could see some past 4Ghz.

the 3.6-3.8 clocks seem to be for mobile, alongside 10 Cu`s. In a Desktop they can get all the juice possible. 

2 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Considering that the current raven ridge APUs with 8 Vega CUs in laptops competes well with an i7 8350u/7700HQ with graphics a little weaker than an GT 1030, I would imagine it would be very compelling. Not sure if Vega properly supports VP9 though. (I haven't seen VP9 used outside YouTube so it might not matter.)

5 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Do you have a source? I'm under the impression it's analogous to Intel's architectural jump from Nehalem -> Sandy

AMD_Matisse_Picasso.jpg.22b7220bf46650f31251f93d149fcc66.jpg

2 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

the 3.6-3.8 clocks seem to be for mobile, alongside 10 Cu`s. In a Desktop they can get all the juice possible. 

well raven ridge has slides confirming up to 11 CU, the 3.6 - 3.8 Ghz is just a guess off of the ryzen line, assuming no gains in clocks from zen+.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

well raven ridge has slides confirming up to 11 CU, the 3.6 - 3.8 Ghz is just a guess off of the ryzen line, assuming no gains in clocks from zen+.

Hopefully it`s Zen+. It would be amazing.

Just now, ONOTech said:

How did you come to the conclusion based on this picture?

Examples of brand new CPU architectures include AMD ditching FX and implementing Zen, or Intel transitioning to the Core 2 series, which took years to manufacture for both. I'm just confused as to why they would do it again with Zen 2? That doesn't make sense in almost any situation afaik.

Even Linus said on a WAN Show that before the guy that has made Zen left they had already mapped out Zen 2.

And why? Market Disruption. Also Cannon Lake/Ice Lake are coming and those are a brand new process and architecture respectively.

30 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

So it looks like they mean Zen+, not Zen 2. Also, Zen 2 won't be a new architecture - just an expansion on Zen.

It will be kind of like the jump from Broadwell to Skylake. 

Good, it's nice to see AMD making their promises real.

I mean promising support for a socket, especially when it's like multiple years is a big claim. Now it's up to them to make it real but tbh so far so good.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

No, I see what you're saying now. Yeah, the core is different but the uArch is fundamentally the same. 

Don't mind me. I suppose I was reading too much into it :P

Hey Also your AMDesperate build could have been I-AMDesperate

48 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Do they mean Zen+? I thought AMD confirmed that Ryzen refresh will use the glorified 14nm process and Zen 2 will use 7 nm.

i saw the interview, he made the distinction very clear, they will support ryzen 2 aka ryzen on 7nm

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

I though Coffee Lake and the next gen would be supported on Z270?

Thats what everyone told me, to get Skylake/Kabylake instead when Ryzen first came out.

Because Coffee Lake and Skylake/Kaby Lake are very similar people assumed support would be there.

I mean apart from the extra cores it's basically identical so i don't blame the people that make that assumption. There's some logic to it.

But Intel went like "nope", released a new chipset that's almost identical to the previous one and didn't allow backwards compatibility.

The pin lay-out isn't the same between coffee lake and kaby lake BUT there's proof out there of coffee lake running on older boards and if Intel put a bit of effort into backwards compatibility i'm sure they could have made it happen, but they didn't...

The difference between Intel and AMD is really big when it comes down to future support and backwards compatibility tbh...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

AMD providing great compatibility over a wide range of motherboards as usual, this is something I have always admired about AMD.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

44 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

It`s not BS, really, look it up

oh, but it is:

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/7602/22/intel-core-i7-8700k--i5-8600k--i5-8400-coffee-lake-review-affordable-six-cores-ipc-test-kaby-lake-vs-coffee-lake

image.png.11d7bdb23cb1cf6e4641aae6b33fb77f.png

i dont know about you, but they all seem to be within run to run variance to me lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, DanielMDA said:

Then he was lying in the video, I suppose.

One should take anything anyone says with a rather large grain of salt (especially a random YouTuber), unless they have the numbers (empirical or otherwise, and in the proper context) to back it up.

I'm not saying that they are conclusively wrong, but without the presentation of evidence (or at the very least, corroboration from multiple sources) it is nothing more than speculation.

Spoiler

Even corroborating sources could be wrong - they could very well be parroting/relaying information from the same incorrect source. That's how purported "fake news" spread.

If a newer chipset allows Ryzen 2 to be significantly more competitive, I wouldn't care about backwards compatibility so much.