SELF DRIVING CARS

XboxCarsForza

I need to persuade my stubborn friends that self-driving cars are good. Can the people of LTT please tell me some major points for self driving cars and points against them to make sure I can provide a rebuttal?

3 hours ago, XboxCarsForza said:

I need to persuade my stubborn friends that self-driving cars are good. Can the people of LTT please tell me some major points for self driving cars and points against them to make sure I can provide a rebuttal?

Self driving cars are neither good or bad because the pros are almost always negated by the cons. But in general, with so many variables at play when on the road, automation should never completely replace humans. Automation works with aviation and marine but that's because there's far less traffic and far less chances of running into a surprise obstacle when in the air and on water. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Self driving cars WILL probably be great in the future. But there are still a lot of bumps to sort out. 

Computers are pretty stupid in reality. They need to be told to do what to do in absolutely every situation.

Manual driving options must be mandatory on self driving cars in all cases. No matter how good the software is.

And it should in no way turn into an exemption from learning how to operate the vehicle in a safe and competent way.

I'm a car enthusiast. But i still think it would be nice to have the option to get chauffeured to work every once in a while.

So i'm not entirely against self driving cars. But they must have safeguards in place.

And if they limit movement in any conceivable way they have got to go. 

Hell if manual control is removed entirely then i would not be surprised if we get a situation similar to tiered internet but with cars.

Want to go on the highway? $5 Fast lane? $5 Stop for a hot dog at a service station? $2 

Bathroom?. 

HAL-2001.jpg

Then there is the laziness factor. Or finance factor. Say the vehicle needs a service and software update.

How often do you think someone will tap "Remind me later" I've seen people drive with completely bald tyres 

just because "Well i didn't think they were that important" or "Well i can't afford new ones so its fine"  

Sure you could put that on the manufacturers.. Yeah fat chance.

The vehicle could be state/company owned and just show up when you need it. Then its a taxi and not as convenient. 

That is my $0.2 on the subject. And i do think they are something that will come in the future. 

And they are a mainstay in my sci-fi novel. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

to be honest, self drive is much better implemented as public transport such as taxis or buses

since they're self-driving, why bother buying a car then.

and yeah as already mention, there MUST be manual override. PERIOD.