Need Urgent Help

Patalayus

I'm having to use my phone to write this as my pc is not even getting past the bios. I can't even use my keyboard to boot into the bios either. It boots up, hits the Asus splash screen because I have an Asus z97-p motherboard and then it completely freezes. I really need some help, thanks,

Pat.

try and remove the battery from the motherboard, remove the power line from the case and let it for about 2-3 minutes to completely dischardge from any electrical charge that the capacitors may have kept. put the battery back on and try to power it up. Also use a PS/2 keyboard not a USB one  after the steps above in order to try and enter the bios. Many times USB keyboards AND USB devices in general just won't work and can cause the system to crash even before POST.

try it and let me know.

Try disconnecting all drives and anything except a keyboard and mouse. If you have an iGPU try using that. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

9 minutes ago, TonyStark said:

try and remove the battery from the motherboard, remove the power line from the case and let it for about 2-3 minutes to completely dischardge from any electrical charge that the capacitors may have kept. put the battery back on and try to power it up. Also use a PS/2 keyboard not a USB one  after the steps above in order to try and enter the bios. Many times USB keyboards AND USB devices in general just won't work and can cause the system to crash even before POST.

try it and let me know.

When you remove the power, hold down the power button for 10 seconds as well as that will help discharge everything

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

10 minutes ago, TonyStark said:

Try and remove the battery from the motherboard, remove the power line from the case and let it for about 2-3 minutes to completely discharge from any electrical charge that the capacitors may have kept. put the battery back on and try to power it up. Also use a PS/2 keyboard not a USB one  after the steps above in order to try and enter the bios. Many times USB keyboards AND USB devices in general just won't work and can cause the system to crash even before POST.

Just now, A Silver said:

When you remove the power, hold down the power button for 10 seconds as well as that will help discharge everything

Essentially all this.
Hit the CMOS jumper with a screwdriver, or pull out the battery for 10+ seconds. Turn off or unplug your PSU, hit your power button (that turns on the computer, not the switch on the PSU) to discharge; fans may spin just a little bit. Put battery back in, turn on PSU/plug it in, try again.

PS/2 KB/Mouse are useful for situations like this. Clearing CMOS "should" work.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.875GHz/1.335v , GPU: Fury Nitro.

Thanks for the help, just getting to it now. I am duel booting ubuntu btw

This is a bit strange, but I have had motherboards given to me that have seemed completely dead and gone, but work perfectly normally after the dust has been removed. It only takes a tiny amount of dust to short something if it is in the wrong place. I dab packaging tape and it picks up most of it.

On 05/12/2017 at 11:41 AM, TonyStark said:

try it and let me know.

Just trying that now, I've got up this morning and it's not even letting me enter the bios, it crashes on the splash screen

7 minutes ago, Patalayus said:

Just trying that now, I've got up this morning and it's not even letting me enter the bios, it crashes on the splash screen

Looks like that hasn't worked, could I possibly need a new battery?

No, even without a battery the system should work fine. Ok.... let's try another approach. remove everything from the motherboard except the CPU.

Place ONLY ONE memory module in a memory bank and try to start the system. You should have a motherboard speaker (unless the motherboard has an embedded one) like this one . Now without a GPU on the system should beep a few times something like "beeeee- be - be - beep" . If so, this means that the system is OK (and no GPU is present) and perhaps a memory module or a memory bank is causing the issue. 

If nothing happens, power it down and try a different bank slot. try all the modules in all the slots.

If, it POSTS with a memory module, power it down and place on the GPU as well. Try it again

If it doesn't post with the GPU on, there is a chance that the GPU is faulty.

If none of the above works, then try to place only the GPU with no memory on. the system should beep like "beeeeep     -       beeeeeep       -      beeeeeeep" this means that no memory is present and the system is OK.

If you've upgraded your CPU recently and with the previous worked OK, then you need to update your BIOS, by placing the previous CPU on (and assuimg that with this it will post).

Finally, check that the PSU you are using provides adequate wattage for your hardware and also use a voltage regulator, as 90% of the PC issues emerge from the PSU.

If none of the above works, then it means that you have a faulty motherboard.

the usual order of failure is (PSU -> Motherboard -> RAM -> CPU/GPU)

Let know when you do the above.