"Skylake safe" cooler could damage Sky-, Kaby and Coffee Lake CPUs

Two years after the initial issues regarding mounting pressures of big air coolers with the then new Sky Lake CPUs the issues celebrate a revival as it seems.

German tech magazine "PC Games Hardware" reported a serious issue with Skylake system that's just over two years old and was assembled by German blogger Bjoern Olausson. Equipped with an i7 6700k and the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 died a mysterious death – mysterious until the "autopsy" revealed serious deformations on the CPU's substrate. Olausson reported that his system has never been moved around and was therefore never exposed to sudden movements

PC Games Hardware published further tests unrelated to that specific incident in their July and September issues and published a mounting force table (see original article at PC Games Hardware). Test results revealed that most coolers exceeded Intel's specs for static mounting forces (222 N) by quite a margin (maxium value of still produced cooler was 540 N) though Intel's limit for dynamic forces as in sudden shocks and other momentary spikes was not exceeded (712N). The Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 was measured with a mounting force of 380 N.

The question remains if the excessive mounting forces of large air cooler are or at least can still be an issue. Interesting enough: even some AiO might exceed Intel's spec of static mounting forces (i.e. Cooler Master Master Liquid 240 with ~240 N). Maybe the issue is not fully resolved and large air coolers might still damage CPUs in the long run which could be an issue regarding RMA requests as well.

For copyright reasons I'll only link to Bjoern Olausson's page. The damage is obvious.

Sources:
PC Games Hardware (german)

Bjoern Olausson (english)

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Well hopefully it is just a "fluk" but there is a chance this could be a problem again and if lots of Intel cpus start dying after two years pretty sure that would hurt there credibility. 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Praying right now that my dark rock pro 3 won't end up killing my 6700k...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

what about my NH-D15? what mounting pressure does that use?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

what about my NH-D15? what mounting pressure does that use?

I would like to believe Noctua spent more on R&D then Dark Rock developing their NH-D15 mitigating such issues. *crosses fingers* 

Those with their motherboards set flat in a case likely don't have this issue at all.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

according to the table at PC Games Hardware it exceeds Intel's specs by ~50 N at a total of 270 N. That's about 12% more.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

4 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

according to the table at PC Games Hardware it exceeds Intel's specs by ~50 N at a total of 270 N. That's about 12% more.

at least it isn't much over the rating..

:(

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Intel's Stock Cooling master race.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

doubt this will impact more then a coupple of people to be honest

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Aio liquid cooling supreme master race.

Exposed cpu cooling yolo master race. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

What about the Corsair H100i V2 on i7 7700k? How much mounting force does it have.

CPU:  Intel Core i7 7700k @4.7GHz |~| Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 |~| MOBO:  Gigabyte z270-x Ultra Gaming |~| RAM: 16gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200mhzCL16 |~| GPU: Asus Strix GeForce GTX 1080 |~| Boot: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO |~| Storage: 1TB SeaGate HDD |~| PSU: Corsair CX-M Series CX650M |~| Display: AOC 75hz 1080p |~| Case: NZXT S340 |~| OS: Windows 10 Home

Unless the threads bottom out, doesn't mounting pressure depend on how vigorously you torque the screws on the cooler?

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

That depends on the construction of the cooler. If the manual tells you to mount it in a certain way (as in: tighten screws until springs are fully compressed) then that results in a specific mounting force. The heavier the cooler the tighter it needs to be in order to not move around (which could result in damages as well). 

Of course, you shouldn't overtighten the screws. Engineers usually have a certain torque in mind. There's a German saying about overtightening screws: "Nach fest kommt ab" that roughly translates to "It's tight until it rips off"

32 minutes ago, Tayfun1212 said:

What about the Corsair H100i V2 on i7 7700k? How much mounting force does it have.

There are no values for Corsair coolers yet. Any infos from @Corsair @Corsair Blake  directly?

This sounds really bad, basically crossing fingers and hoping for best is the only option.

1 hour ago, Tam3n said:

Unless the threads bottom out, doesn't mounting pressure depend on how vigorously you torque the screws on the cooler?

That's what I was thinking too but thought there might be something I wasn't considering, like maybe the numbers are minimums(lowest possible mounting pressure) that could be achieved given the weight of the cooler.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Theoretically you could just reduce the amount of force we as builders use to tighten the screws? This doesnt sound like a air cooler weight issue.

I remember someone posting a question asking why we dont torque screws to a specific spec. but the AMD thread ripper torque screw and now this are making me think he might have been onto something....

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

49 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Theoretically you could just reduce the amount of force we as builders use to tighten the screws? This doesnt sound like a air cooler weight issue.

I remember someone posting a question asking why we dont torque screws to a specific spec. but the AMD thread ripper torque screw and now this are making me think he might have been onto something....

This has never really an issue right until the substrate got thinner. Another one of Intel's moves to save a few cents next to the crappy thermal compound. 

I've just checked with Noctua's installatioan manual for their NH-D15: it says "Caution: Tighten the screws until they stop."

That means there's literally no room for applying less torque since the screws would be loose and the cooler might not have full contact, which could impede cooling performance. That means the cooler will put aforementioned pressure on the CPU and its substrate.

Cryorig isn't really specific in ther installation guide for their C1 cooler.

Be Quiet! changed their manual and from 09/2017 on is now specifically saying in ther installation manual for their Dark Rock Pro  3 cooler (the one mentioned in the initial news): "Place the hexagonal nuts (8) over the spacer nuts (7) and progressively tighten these in a crosswise manner until firm using the hexagonal wrench (14)."

Before that there was no mention on how tight it should have been. The wrench is potentially an issue here and poses a danger to overtighten it compared to a simple screwdriver.

Still: there isn't much room for adjusting the mounting pressure. 

Maybe this should be checked systematically? Maybe this could be part of a video since it does pose potentially fatal danger to 6th-8th gen Intel Core CPUs. At least mounting pressures should be checked when reviewing new coolers. @LinusTech @nicklmg @AlexTheGreatish

1 hour ago, bowrilla said:

~snip~

I wonder if it's more an issue of differences in pressure as opposed to pure pressure.  I wonder what kind of a moment a tower cooler is putting on the CPU and if having it flat would make things better.  

God I love how tough/non skimped on my i7 4790K and LGA775 collection are. The substrate really is too thin.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Nah, Dell stock cooler master race.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I wonder if it's more an issue of differences in pressure as opposed to pure pressure.  I wonder what kind of a moment a tower cooler is putting on the CPU and if having it flat would make things better.  

Good question. I've read the theory that LGA sockets were more prone due to a smaller contact area on the socket. Back in 2014/15 cooler used to got wild on mounting pressures which led to several damaged CPUs and cooler manufacturers releasing new versions. In comparison the substrate got really thin (abouth half as thin) with Skylake. The pictures in Bjoern Olausson's blog post indicate a weird pattern: the middle and the outer corners are bent upwards.

PC Games Hardware did some tests back in 2014 figuering out by how much thermals are affected by the mounting pressure of the cooler. It seemed as if it peaked at ~250 N of force while not rising significantly once that pressure was applied (and supposedly thermal compound was spread out). 

The question remains: how much do you need to tighten it in order for it to be safe for transport (as in LAN parties or semi mobile ITX systems)? Is it actually safe to have a high end big air cooler in such a system? As of now I'd seriously avoid in high performance systems big air coolers even though they perform just as well for half the price.

Gosh, I'm glad to have a 4790k …

This is why Noctua and a number of high end watercoolers use spring systems. Tightening the screw down to maximum doesn't directly apply the force, rather the distance compresses the spring and thus applies a specific force which is easier to control against people being dumb. Now with that said, such mechanisms have their own issues in theory.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I messed up on the meaning from my previous post. What i meant to say was,

No cpu cooler supreme yolo master race. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Well.. that's an interesting development.

I'm using a Hyper 212X which in their list is 200N of force so I'm under (albeit close) the 222N mark. Surprised the 212 EVO isn't there. (In their listed coolers w/ their respective forces)

I also have a Hyper T4 but I couldn't get that thing mounted for nothing and ended up buying the 212X. (Darn seesaw design...)

I wonder how much it'd add if I had 2 fans on the cooler, if any. I actually bought the 212X Dual Fan on Newegg at the time because they only wanted like $5 more over the standard which seemed like a deal to me. I actually had trouble getting the fan on the cooler though... so I just stuck with the single fan.

Well, the weight of 1 kg equals about 10 N on earth (9.8… to be more precise) so 2 fans won't add much. I estimate 250 g per fan, so 0.5 kg in total equaling a force of 5 N. A NH-D15 weighs 980g without fans and 1.320g incl. fans. That's even less than I've estimated for general fans. That NH-D15 with two fans without being screwed in place would equal to a force of ~13 N. 

Comparison of Devil's Canyon vs Skylake with a good picture of the thinner PCB with fewer layers by Anadtech from 2015. So Intel probably just optimzed the hell out of their chip to get away with fewer layers saving a few cents and not wasting a thought about weakening the chip.