Statements that trigger tech fans.

Armakar

Hey build me something for (currency that isn't USD)

"Here is a build in USD!"

-or-

Build me something for X

(10 to 20 posts and several suggestions later)

"Why didn't anyone do X, Y, Z because I wanted A, B, C and color scheme Q"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

More 'unless its 120fps w/gsync 1ms response, the game is LITERALLY unplayable". The amount of people that cannot play at 60 blows my mind. 

That's why I can live with 40-60 FPS. The preferences lies within the eye of the beholder; I like higher fidelity and resolution than triple-digit FPS numbers.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

"NZXT S340 or Phanteks P400"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

25  FPS is a perfectly usable framerate in PC gaming

Stupidest backstab ever, when tech journalists started using the words "buttery smooth 30 FPS" and shit like that. 

Just now, JurunceNK said:

That's why I can live with 40-60 FPS. The preferences lies within the eye of the beholder; I like higher fidelity and resolution than triple-digit FPS numbers.

4K 60 >120 1080 any day!!!!

"I prefer Delta fans"

I really don't understand why but for some reason I had couple kids, when I was at Microcenter, get very angry at my preference of delta fans. I guess I'm old.

5 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

as i get older i sort of appreciate the nicer hardware now days. Like a Blade  Macbook surfacebook. Though in the past i always saw it as a waste of money still do to some degree but it has shrank a lot of how much i think its a waste. Id really love a light and protable gaming/ nice laptop. if macs just had a better GPU i dont think they would be as bad imo in there price brackets

Im not saying they're bad laptops, their just a bad value for consumers who simply dont need it, college students sitting well among those. easily 1/2 the laptops you see at my campus though are macbooks and macbook pros but the people only use them for stuff like writing reports and browsing the web, but then want to turn around and complain about inflated book prices even though they happily paid for that inflated apple logo

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

17 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

Plus "x game's FPS is low on my system, so therefore it's unoptimized!"

I hate this because more often than not, someone who isn't a developer or understands software development processes says this.

Though on the note about Crysis, supposedly Crytek made a CGI video and then they wanted to make a game with that level of detail. The issue I think with that is they bit off more than they could chew and when it came to downsize the graphics, they really couldn't without making it look like garbage.

8 minutes ago, Atmos said:

I'm not saying they're bad laptops, their just a bad value for consumers who simply don't need it, college students sitting well among those. easily 1/2 the laptops you see at my campus though are Macbooks and Macbook Pros but the people only use them for stuff like writing reports and browsing the web, but then want to turn around and complain about inflated book prices even though they happily paid for that inflated apple logo

I don't understand people sometimes ?

If that's all they do, then perhaps they can get pretty far using the smartphone. Ever heard of Google Drive for Mobile (Talking to the college chumps)?

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

15 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Im not saying they're bad laptops, their just a bad value for consumers who simply dont need it, college students sitting well among those. easily 1/2 the laptops you see at my campus though are macbooks and macbook pros but the people only use them for stuff like writing reports and browsing the web, but then want to turn around and complain about inflated book prices even though they happily paid for that inflated apple logo

To be fair, you only use a college textbook for a semester, you get a pittance for selling it back (unless you want to take the time selling it on Craiglist or something), and it gets worse if a new edition is out and all they did was change the chapter number. And you have to buy them most of the time. At least when I went. There was no way to rent them. A laptop usually lasts through the entire college career.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

To be fair, you only use a college textbook for a semester, you get a pittance for selling it back (unless you want to take the time selling it on Craiglist or something), and it gets worse if a new edition is out and all they did was change the chapter number. A laptop usually lasts through the entire college career.

fair enough. Theres still plenty of cheaper options though that will last just as long if you treat them the same. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

47 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

More like, "unless its 120fps w/gsync 1ms response, the game is LITERALLY unplayable". The amount of people that cannot play at 60 blows my mind. 

have you ever tried a high refresh rate panel?

I thought the same until I purchased a 144hz panel; the difference is massive. 60fps is still playable, but seems 'slow' compared to triple digit.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The thing is, that's actually a thing.  SSHD, form Seagate (iirc).  It's got like an 8 GB SSD build in as a cache, but is otherwise a normal HDD.  Not the best name imo but it is a real one.

The sales guy is trying to sell a MacBook Pro with Retina Display and he said “solid state hard drive”. Apple is no longer selling MacBook Pros with hard drives since 2012. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

The sales guy is trying to sell a MacBook Pro with Retina Display and he said “solid state hard drive”. Apple is no longer selling MacBook Pros with hard drives since 2012. 

oh xD yeah, so they think SSD = "solid state hard drive" somehow... I see now

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

have you ever tried a high refresh rate panel?

I thought the same until I purchased a 144hz panel; the difference is massive. 60fps is still playable, but seems 'slow' compared to triple digit.

I've seen them in stores before whenever a benchmark is running (namely Unigine Heaven on an Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q). Wasn't able to notice the difference at 100 Hz since, you know, you can't play games on demo setups.

Would like to give it another go, but not very likely in the future.

What I'd like to see is a 32" 4K HDR monitor, that will serve as the perfect companion to my BenQ BL3200 and will replace my HP Compaq LA1956x 1280x1024 5:4. I tried convincing Asus on their forums to try and make one (even if it's 31.5", it'll still cut it for me), but they wouldn't unfortunately ?

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

3 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

My i7 has 8 threads so its 8 cores

Ever heard of Logical Cores (to whoever thinks like that)?

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

11 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

I've seen them in stores before whenever a benchmark is running (namely Unigine Heaven on an Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q). Wasn't able to notice the difference at 100 Hz since, you know, you can't play games on demo setups.

Would like to give it another go, but not very likely in the future.

What I'd like to see is a 32" 4K HDR monitor, that will serve as the perfect companion to my BenQ BL3200 and will replace my HP Compaq LA1956x 1280x1024 5:4. I tried convincing Asus on their forums to try and make one (even if it's 31.5", it'll still cut it for me), but they wouldn't unfortunately ?

The only time I've been able to see one was also in a store, and sadly they didn't even have a demo running, but just moving the mouse around and scrolling the start menu was so obvious it makes me really want one

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

SSHD = Solid State Hybride Drive or lets just call it marketing bullshit.  

The guy is trying to sell a MacBook Pro with Retina Display and he said “solid state hard drive”. Apple is no longer selling MBPs with hard drives since 2012. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

Ever heard of Logical Cores (to whoever thinks like that)?

Speaking of this, idk if this triggers most "tech fans" but it definitely triggers me: people saying "threads" when they mean "logical cores", and don't even know what a thread is.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Speaking of this, idk if this triggers most "tech fans" but it definitely triggers me: people saying "threads" when they mean "logical cores", and don't even know what a thread is.

It depends on how it's used. AMD and Intel uses Logical Cores and Threads interchangeably to mean "Programming for a physical core to allow said physical core to do two things at the same time"

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440