Improved CPU Cooling, FAN or AIO?

kb5zue
Go to solution Solved by kb5zue,

Thanks to all for your replies.  Will go thru them all again (for the fifth time) and hopefully come up with a decision in the next day or two.  Would be really nice to be able to do both fixes, increase cpu cooling AND upgrade the gpu to something like a 1060 with more than 1 gig ram like my current video card.

Current system info:

Mobo: Asus TUF Sabertooth 990FX 3.0  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

Case: CoolerMaster MasterMaker Case 5t:  http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/mastercase-maker-5t/

GPU: Radeon R7 260x

CPU:  AMD FX 8370  https://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-8370-Octa-core-Processor-FD8370FRHKHBX/dp/B01798X7D2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512353710&sr=8-1&keywords=amd+fx+8370+processor

CPU Cooler:  Arctic 7  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134&cm_re=Arctic_7_fan-_-35-186-134-_-Product

CPU clock speed is 4.334GHz

CPU Temps:  Idle Temp 27c - 32c

I have no gaming temps because I can not game on the machine as is because the temps go up and the machine shuts down due to high CPU temps.  Would like to resume gaming with World of Warcraft (12 years so far), Diablo 3, League of Legends and Overwatch.  Sometimes play PUBG and CS:GO.  I have looked at a gazillion YouTube videos and read more reviews of cpu fan coolers and AIO's than the average person can imagine.  That may be part of the problem in making a good decision.   INFORMATION OVERLOAD.

I haven't been able to come to the decision as whether or not to upgrade the current CPU fan cooler (the Arctic 7) with a different cpu fan setup or to switch to an AIO.  Now that the "boss" has allowed me the opportunity to make a decision on this as far as spending a few bucks, I need to bring this situation to a good conclusion.  My spending limit is $150 USD give or take taxes and shipping.  I'm in California.

I would like to be able to overclock my cpu to the neighborhood of 4.8Ghz to 5.0GHz.

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I would not invest any more into this system

Just save up and completly overhaul

Given my current financial situation, that is not an option.  I live on an extremely fixed income.

13 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

My spending limit is $150 USD give or take taxes and shipping.  I'm in California.

i woudlnt spend a dime on the CPU cooling...i would try to sell the GPU and upgrade that to something a bit stronger instead.

your cooler is good enough, lower the overclock and make sure it's installed properly with good thermal paste.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

if you are on a limited budget you can get better performance per dollar on air coolers in the under $50 category. Something like a cryorig h7. It would also be something that you could use when you do eventually get a chance to upgrade. 

Currently on sale on newegg for under $30 us

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565&cm_re=cryorig_h7-_-13C-000U-00005-_-Product

If you decide to spend closer to the max of your budget the Corsair H100 v2 would be a good option and would also be usable on a future platform. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181103&cm_re=corsair_h100i_v2-_-35-181-103-_-Product

Edited by COUPER MILLAR
didn't read through completely the first time.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

i woudlnt spend a dime on the CPU cooling...i would try to sell the GPU and upgrade that to something a bit stronger instead.

Okay, will look at something different along those lines.  Was thinking about something along the 1060 line but might take a bit to get that much money together that I can devote to the video upgrade.  So you think my cpu temps are okay then?

I just assumed the cpu temps were the problem because the games don't play.  When trying to play, games lock up the screen and have to do a ctrl-alt-del to resume control of the machine.

Thanks to all for your replies.  Will go thru them all again (for the fifth time) and hopefully come up with a decision in the next day or two.  Would be really nice to be able to do both fixes, increase cpu cooling AND upgrade the gpu to something like a 1060 with more than 1 gig ram like my current video card.

We need to know your load temps. Your issues doesn't sound like overheating. More likely bad GPU, drive or driver issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I just assumed the cpu temps were the problem because the games don't play.  When trying to play, games lock up the screen and have to do a ctrl-alt-del to resume control of the machine.

Well, this is a big deal.  When for example my laptop overheats, it just turns off abruptly.  If it is still running, I'd assume that this would be a Graphics issue.  Check the drivers, monitor the temps, and do some investigating....