Tips for building pc?

Ayala

I have currently bought all of my parts for my pc, shown below. This is my first time building a pc, so are there any tips you can give specific to the parts I have bought or just in general? I have done a lot of research, but if you think anything might be helpful please share. Thank you!

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($385.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $85.00)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste  (Purchased For $13.00)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Conductonaut 1g Thermal Paste  (Purchased For $13.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $136.00)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (Purchased For $146.00)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($75.00)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card  (Purchased For $445.00)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $64.99)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($30.00)
Monitor: Acer - XB241H bmipr 24.0" 1920x1080 180Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $240.00)
Total: $1762.97

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

general tip, put a dvd disc or somthing over ur psu grill so that u dont drop a screw inside xD if u have the grill up

Thanks for the advice! I think the s340 elite has a psu filter on the bottom so I'll face the grill towards the floor, but I can imagine how annoying it must be to drop a screw inside your psu!

Just now, Ayala said:

Thanks for the advice! I think the s340 elite has a psu filter on the bottom so I'll face the grill towards the floor, but I can imagine how annoying it must be to drop a screw inside your psu!

trust me it happens even to the best xD lol keep that grill away from screws

(◑‿◐)

do cable management last, because otherwise you might put cables in the way of other hardware. 

unplug your mechanical hdd when installing Windows, so you don't get confused which drive is the ssd at the install screen. it's really annoying if you accidentally install it to your hdd. 

when you plug your hdd back in, and boot to Windows, the hdd won't be displayed, because it isn't formatted yet. (believe me, i thought my first brand-new drive was broken when i first plugged it in)

Just now, Ayala said:

not to mention dangerous!

She/Her

• Don't rush anything, take your time. You're not building systems for a living.
  • If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Don't force it.
  • Cable manage as you go, don't leave it until the end.
  • Find a safe place to put all the screws so you don't lose any.
  • Read the manual if you get stuck, or for those stupid front connector pins.
  • Buy a case of beer.

Honestly, it's super easy and really shouldn't take any longer than half an hour, if not less.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:
  • Don't rush anything, take your time. You're not building systems for a living.
  • If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Don't force it.
  • Find a safe place to put all the screws so you don't lose any.
  • Read the manual if you get stuck, or for those stupid front connector pins.
  • Buy a case of beer.

Honestly, it's super easy and really shouldn't take any longer than half an hour, if not less.

I'm kinda concerned about cable management and just figuring out which cables go where. Is it obvious once I start?

2 minutes ago, Ayala said:

I'm kinda concerned about cable management and just figuring out which cables go where. Is it obvious once I start?

yea it's pretty obvious.Just the put the thing with the other coresponding thing

Also if you don't have one already it'll make your life a lot easier if you have a magnetic screwdriver

My life

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:
  • Honestly, it's super easy and really shouldn't take any longer than half an hour, if not less.

these two i disagree with. 

1. at the end is usually better. if you are inexperienced, it's easy to tie down cables that block slots that you need if you cable manage as you go. 

2. nope. especially with a lot of components. it usually takes me 30 mins just to mount a hyper 212 to a socket. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Ayala said:

yes, it's pretty obvious. if you want to be sure, use the manuals provided with the power supply and your components, to be sure what to connect to what. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, Ayala said:

Yeah. Reference point #2 :P

You have a modular PSU so you have an even easier time of it, you only have to install the cables that you need. I would have gotten an m.2 drive so you could save yourself some cabling, but what's done is done.

Basically there's the 8 pin for the GPU, the 24 pin for the CPU, and I think another for the motherboard. When you look at the sockets the side with the plastic lip is the one that the clip goes on.

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

these two i disagree with. 

1. at the end is usually better. if you are inexperienced, it's easy to tie down cables that block slots that you need if you cable manage as you go. 

2. nope. especially with a lot of components. it usually takes me 30 mins just to mount a hyper 212 to a socket. 

Yeah, there's many ways to do it, and every person is different. I find it way easier to do it as I go, but I can also visualize where the components are going. As for taking 30 minutes to mount a cooler, no offense, but that's absurd. I mean sure, it can take that long, but it shouldn't. You'd be fired within your first 2 hours of working at a computer shop as a builder :P Granted some people just don't have the mind for assembling things.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Yeah, there's many ways to do it, and every person is different. I find it way easier to do it as I go, but I can also visualize where the components are going. As for taking 30 minutes to mount a cooler, no offense, but that's absurd. I mean sure, it can take that long, but it shouldn't. You'd be fired within your first 2 hours of working at a computer shop as a builder :P Granted some people just don't have the mind for assembling things.

well, i'm very careful. i've broken some mobo's in the past with hastely mounting coolers. 

and yea, i'm sure i'll get quicker at it if i do it more, but i don't assemble custom coolers that often. i've only done it like 4 - 5 times.. i usually use stock coolers. 

She/Her

22 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yeah. Reference point #2 :P

You have a modular PSU so you have an even easier time of it, you only have to install the cables that you need. I would have gotten an m.2 drive so you could save yourself some cabling, but what's done is done.

Basically there's the 8 pin for the GPU, the 24 pin for the CPU, and I think another for the motherboard. When you look at the sockets the side with the plastic lip is the one that the clip goes on.

Another question, is it risky to build a pc if there is a carpet on the floor? I've heard about anti static wristbands and the dangers of shorting out your components, but does it matter that much?

58 minutes ago, Ayala said:

Another question, is it risky to build a pc if there is a carpet on the floor? I've heard about anti static wristbands and the dangers of shorting out your components, but does it matter that much?

Too many variables to answer that reasonably. Just build it in the kitchen.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler