Case Fans Problem

mike123159

Is it okay if I use a 3 to 4 pin fan adapter, then use a 4 pin splitter on top of that? 

- Moved to Air Cooling -

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

3 pins will fit in the 4 pin splitter without the adapter

Wait but will the fans be controllable that way?

3 minutes ago, mike123159 said:

Wait but will the fans be controllable that way?

yes they will work, you will just need to check that the 4 pin header can do voltage control, these days most can but worth just double checking

9 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

yes they will work, you will just need to check that the 4 pin header can do voltage control, these days most can but worth just double checking

I have heard that PWM is superior to voltage control, if I wanted to do PWM, would I need the adapter?

there is no way to use PWM control on a 3 pin fan, however you are correct PWM is better than voltage, but voltage is better than just being ran at full tilt

2 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

there is no way to use PWM control on a 3 pin fan, however you are correct PWM is better than voltage, but voltage is better than just being ran at full tilt

That's why I am asking if I could use 3 to 4 pin connector, to use PWM, then use a splitter to use 2 fans on one header

2 minutes ago, mike123159 said:

That's why I am asking if I could use 3 to 4 pin connector, to use PWM, then use a splitter to use 2 fans on one header

the adapter won't enable PWM

3 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

the adapter won't enable PWM

So unless I get 4 pin fans, I cannot use PWM?

Just now, mike123159 said:

So unless I get 4 pin fans, I cannot use PWM?

exactly, the 4th pin is used to convey data from the fan (rotation speed) to the controller which then makes decisions based on a parameter (temp) and sends data back to the fan on what to do, speed up slow down or stay the same, without that forth pin on the fan, it can't deal with that data and therefore can not be controlled.

1 minute ago, Yatys 93 said:

exactly, the 4th pin is used to convey data from the fan (rotation speed) to the controller which then makes decisions based on a parameter (temp) and sends data back to the fan on what to do, speed up slow down or stay the same, without that forth pin on the fan, it can't deal with that data and therefore can not be controlled.

Oh well then, thanks for your help, I'm very grateful. 

Oh well then, thanks for your help, I'm very grateful. 

no worried, please note that most 4 pin headers will be able to do voltage control, and that 3 pin fans will plug in fine, the 4th pin will just poke out the side and be ignored, that will keep your pc perfectly cool

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

no worried, please note that most 4 pin headers will be able to do voltage control, and that 3 pin fans will plug in fine, the 4th pin will just poke out the side and be ignored, that will keep your pc perfectly cool

The problem that I had was how loud the fan would be, I just hope that my motherboard has voltage control 

The problem that I had was how loud the fan would be, I just hope that my motherboard has voltage control 

what board do you have? if it doesn't though you can always buy a fan controller, I have one in my old pc as the original motherboard had one header free for all 3 case fans, works great but I have to manually set the speeds every time something changes

2 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

what board do you have? if it doesn't though you can always buy a fan controller, I have one in my old pc as the original motherboard had one header free for all 3 case fans, works great but I have to manually set the speeds every time something changes

I have the Asrock Killer Sli/Ac z270 Motherboard

3 minutes ago, mike123159 said:

I have the Asrock Killer Sli/Ac z270 Motherboard

reading through the manual, all the headers on your board support 3 pin voltage control, also you can use the "chassis optional / water pump header as a normal fan header instead of using a splitter, once there all connected, quickly enter the BIOS to check they are set to DC / voltage, which it should have done automatically and your good to go, you can set them to there quiet profile while your there.

1 minute ago, Yatys 93 said:

reading through the manual, all the headers on your board support 3 pin voltage control, also you can use the "chassis optional / water pump header as a normal fan header instead of using a splitter, once there all connected, quickly enter the BIOS to check they are set to DC / voltage, which it should have done automatically and your good to go, you can set them to there quiet profile while your there.

You are a life saver my friend, Thank you for all your help :)

1 minute ago, mike123159 said:

You are a life saver my friend, Thank you for all your help :)

Also finally, should I buy a 3 pin splitter or 4 pin splitter?

21 hours ago, mike123159 said:

Also finally, should I buy a 3 pin splitter or 4 pin splitter?

either will work fine