Home Network extremely slow at file transferring ?

qpalzmsk

Hi guys,

I was setting up the home network and tried to transfer a few files and found it's extremely slow at doing so.

One of my computer is using Windows 7 and is hard wired to the wireless router and my laptop is using Windows Vista (uugh) is using Wi-Fi.

I checked the Wi-Fi connection was at 130Mbps, and my hard wire is at 1Gbps ,but the files are only moving 2.3~2.5MB/s ....?

What is the problem here ? I've never used the network file sharing before so I don't have much experience on this matter =\

Thanks a lot !!

The connection speed listed by Windows is not always the connection you are going to get - 130 mbps is the best it could possibly be, in all honesty, you're probably getting somewhere around 60-70 mbps.  How far away is your computer from the router?

The laptop is in the same room about 3 meters tops from the router at this moment :)

I'm going to bring the laptop right beside the router and see if the speed improves now. I'll let you know the result !

The connection speed listed by Windows is not always the connection you are going to get - 130 mbps is the best it could possibly be, in all honesty, you're probably getting somewhere around 60-70 mbps.  How far away is your computer from the router?

Moving it right next to my router got me 2.8~3.0MB/s .. I guess that's the max this combo is going to give me ? =\

Moving it right next to my router got me 2.8~3.0MB/s .. I guess that's the max this combo is going to give me ? =\

Remember that Mbps is not MB/s... If you're supposed to be getting about 130 Mbps, you can expect a MAX of about 16 MB/s.  Also, are you transferring information from a hard drive or a flash drive?

Yes I was expecting at least 8~10MB/s from that wireless connection ... so less than 3MB/s is kind of disappointing to me :P

Both drives are hard drives :)

The bottle neck is your storage on both ends. You are reading from a HDD and writing to a HDD.

Try it with SSD at least on the laptop and you will see improvements

Yes I was expecting at least 8~10MB/s from that wireless connection ... so less than 3MB/s is kind of disappointing to me :P

The bottle neck is your storage on both ends. You are reading from a HDD and writing to a HDD.

I've never had major problems like this with HDD to HDD file transfers. 

I don't think you need to invest in getting new hardware just yet, 3 MB/s is an OK connection for normal day-to-day transfers, but if you're transferring videos or other large files, then it might start to be a problem. Try a wired connection (if possible) just to see if it is the hard drive to hard drive connection like our friend amintha here suggests.

I've never had major problems like this with HDD to HDD file transfers. 

I don't think you need to invest in getting new hardware just yet, 3 MB/s is an OK connection for normal day-to-day transfers, but if you're transferring videos or other large files, then it might start to be a problem. Try a wired connection (if possible) just to see if it is the hard drive to hard drive connection like our friend amintha here suggests.

I'm not saying you should go and buy a sad. Try this.

Try to transfer one large file such as a movie and see if you get different numbers than let's say when moving 500 photos.

It looks like it's wireless connection bottleneck, hard wired connection works just fine.

I have an older laptop running SSD but with 54Mbps connection and it's moving files at 800KB/s, LOL  <_<

I hate wireless connections but they're so convinient , FML =\

It looks like it's wireless connection bottleneck, hard wired connection works just fine.

I have an older laptop running SSD but with 54Mbps connection and it's moving files at 800KB/s, LOL  <_<

I hate wireless connections but they're so convinient , FML =\

Yeah, that's what I thought it was  :angry:

I avoid using Wi-Fi at all costs.  Sorry man!

The connection speed that windows gives you is the link speed, just the quality of the connect, not your actual speed.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

There is a certain amount of overhead that must be accounted for. Even with 5 bars, the entire bandwidth may not be available to one network. Check to see how many nearby networks are using the same or a close frequency.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

What are you transferring? A lot of small files will take a lot longer then one big file.

Also what are you transferring it from and to? laptop hdd? SSD? USB drive?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

With large files, i got about 10-12 MB/s over 100mbps switch from computers at least 150-200m (cable) away. So ti is def. wireless as you already discovered, but anyway, just to share results that should be in properly set up network.

What are you transferring? A lot of small files will take a lot longer then one big file.

Also what are you transferring it from and to? laptop hdd? SSD? USB drive?

I tried moving music files and video files. The results are very similar resulting about 2.5MB/s to 2.8MB/s to and from the 130Mbps Wi-Fi connection :)

It's from desktop hdd to laptop hdd :)

There is a certain amount of overhead that must be accounted for. Even with 5 bars, the entire bandwidth may not be available to one network. Check to see how many nearby networks are using the same or a close frequency.

Is there a program you could recommend to me for checking frequencies on other people's network ? It would be great if I could avoid the same frequency other people are using ! Thanks !!

Is there a program you could recommend to me for checking frequencies on other people's network ? It would be great if I could avoid the same frequency other people are using ! Thanks !!

From a command prompt "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid".

This will list all the networks your adapter can see. Look at the Channel numbers.

If you need/want to change the channel your network uses, it must be done in the WiFi router configuration. Your devices will need to reset their connections.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Wireless is very inefficient. You should expect the efficient throughput to be about half of the reported connection speed. In your case you are getting a report of 140 Mbps, because of overhead, packet loss, multipath propagation and stuff like that you can expect that to only be able to handle about 70Mbps. Now you have to convert from Mbps to MBps (from megabit to megabytes). You do that by dividing by 8. 70/8 = 8,75. Your effective throughout on your 140Mbps connection is about 8.75MBps. It still seems pretty low to only get ~3MBps.

But yeah, you shouldn't expect great speeds on a 140Mbps connection.

Oh and about HDD speeds. Your HDD should be more than enough to handle more than those speeds, at least for sequential read/writes. Your average HDD can handle over 100MBps sequential read/writes. They do suffer a lot when you want to transfer lots of small files though.