whats the best cpu cooler for an i5-8600k value for money wise

Hello everyone, I have ordered some upgrades for my pc(gtx1060 6gb/z370 mo-bo/p400s case/16gb ddr4 ram/corsair vs550) I also had ordered an i5 8400 which I now canceled since I am looking in getting a 8600k instead. The only problem is that I dont have any idea about cpu cooling and Ive looked at some air and some water solutions not sure which is gonna be more efficient for overclocking that bad boi. Thanks alot in advace!

A locked i7 8700 wouldn't cost you much more and outperforms the overclocked i5 8600k without the hassle to overclock you could even stick to the stock cooler to make up the price difference.

If you want to stick to overclocking the i5 though I suppose a decent 240mm AiO or high end Air Cooler should you have clearance space to achieve 5ghz.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

well as I mentioned I canceled the order of an 8400 cause I wanted it not to have the stock cooler since it will look crappy compering it with the aorus mobo-gpu set that I have and all that behind a tempered glass panel, the thought of painting the stock cooler black occured to me but not sure if its a good idea.

best value? Gammaxx 400. cheaper then a 212, and better performance

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

well I was probably thinking of water cooling since it will make the build look way more clean, plus in the p400s u have room for a 360 rad if u get rid of the bracket but if I get a 240 rad I could put a case fan under it in the front and thats what I was thinking of doing

U14S might be the best midrange cooler. Its bit expensive side, and you can get Scythe Fuma if you don't like what Noctua sells.

Budget and what RAM?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My Noctua NH-D15 keeps my 8600k oc´d to 5GHz 1.33v at 76-78°C at Prime95 and under 60°C while gaming while being silent. But keep in mind that you need to have a very big case and the brown fans are ugly. But since you want to watercool with an 240mm rad go with an Kraken x52 or a Corsair H100i. I would suggest to get an 280mm unit.

i5 8600k @5,0Ghz | Noctua NH-D15 | Gainward GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix Golden Sample | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @3000Mhz | ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | Seasonic PRIME FOCUS Modular 850 Watt 80+Platinum

aight, thanks a lot guys. I actually ended up getting a kraken x52, instead of a h100i v2(since I was between getting one of those 2). But since im new to aios if u could tell me how should I install the fans on the rad, it would be really helpful. The only thing for certain is that in my p400s case ill put the rad in the front but not sure if I should do fan-rad-front(making the fans suck the air through the rad) or rad-fan-front(making the fans push the air through the rad). Also I was thinking of putting one of the case fans that comes with the case below the rad, thats why I went for a 240 rad and not a 280, since the case fits a 240 rad and a 120 fan in front without removing the bracket, but now u got me wondering if I should ve gotten a 280 rad and put the fan on the top fan space.