Radiator on intake fans

Stellar Ray
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
1 minute ago, Stellar Ray said:

Fan(s) will pull air into the case. [Outside of the case] Air > Case > (Fans > radiator [without water cooling setup])

Uh, there is no point in putting a radiator if there is no watercooling...you will just restrict airflow.

The point of a radiator is to transfer heat from the water to the air.

PS there is a quote button that you need to use when replying to people.

|

V

Placing just the radiator on intake fans supposed to cool down the inbound air? 

What?

Can you rephrase that to make sense?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Fan(s) will pull air into the case. [Outside of the case] Air > Case > (Fans > radiator [without water cooling setup])

1 minute ago, Stellar Ray said:

Uh, there is no point in putting a radiator if there is no watercooling...you will just restrict airflow.

|

V

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

|

V

Thought it will create lower pressure in the narrow gaps, thus creating cooler air.

Anyway, thanks for the nice and quick reply.

It won't have any effect on the air temperature without being connected to a watercooling setup. After a short time, the radiator will be at the same temperature as the intake air, so will only provide restrictions. 

If you wanted to cool the intake air you could use a water chiller or something and connect that to pump and the case radiator, or setup another radiator outside (if you live in a cool climate) to act as 'case air conditioning' but it certainly won't be worth it. A cool project nonetheless :)

If you want to improve temps, spend your money on a proper water cooling setup or aio. 

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

37 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

If you wanted to cool the intake air you could use a water chiller or something and connect that to pump and the case radiator, or setup another radiator outside (if you live in a cool climate) to act as 'case air conditioning' but it certainly won't be worth it. A cool project nonetheless

If I had the necessary components, definitely would have tried for fun.

Radiator looks cool imo, so aio setup might be a good option.

Btw, I think the statement '... lower pressure in the narrow gaps..' isn't correct. The pushed out air has low pressure and is cooler than the very next environment surrounding it.

1 hour ago, Stellar Ray said:

If I had the necessary components, definitely would have tried for fun.

Radiator looks cool imo, so aio setup might be a good option.

Btw, I think the statement '... lower pressure in the narrow gaps..' isn't correct. The pushed out air has low pressure and is cooler than the very next environment surrounding it.

Well unless you have thermal issues, AIOs aren't worth it. Unless you just 'want one.'

The pressure statement wasn't correct. Still don't think the corrected version is the full story. The pressure differential through the rad will do next to nothing for the cooling of the air. Anyway, its been compressed by the fan which heats to up first, so there will be no net gain.

Having a rad will negatively impact performance unless you connect it to some water cooling.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

9 hours ago, Stellar Ray said:

Thought it will create lower pressure in the narrow gaps, thus creating cooler air.

Anyway, thanks for the nice and quick reply.

No a radiator does not cool air alone, unless you run sub-ambient temperature fluid through it using some sort of chiller.

This would pretty much turn your PC into an air conditioner and that would not be great because condensation would form.

Spoiler

14 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Still don't think the corrected version is the full story.

Yes, have to revise the Bernoulli's Principle once again. 

8 hours ago, Enderman said:

No a radiator does not cool air alone, unless you run sub-ambient temperature fluid through it using some sort of chiller.

This would pretty much turn your PC into an air conditioner and that would not be great because condensation would form.

Apparently so. I guess have to stick with the normal cooling system.