Got an iPhone on iOS 11.1.2? It may crash on December 2

iamdarkyoshi
On 12/2/2017 at 12:18 AM, hey_yo_ said:

The shit Apple is pulling through at the moment makes me want to go back to Android. The last two Android phones I used (Galaxy Note 2 & LG G3) have been very lackluster and disappointing so I don’t know if things have changed with Android. Does Android now backup text messages to the Google Drive just like the iPhone with iCloud to make it easier switching from one Android phone to another? 

I just switched from my Galaxy S7 to a OnePlus 5T. And to address your biggest concern, no, none of my SMS messages transferred over to my new phone. I set up my phone by using Tap and Go, which was introduced back in Lollipop. When I setup my new phone, pretty much everything transferred over. Photos were previously backed up by Google Photos (however, they are not stored locally on my device), for music, I already have a subscription to Play Music, so music could redownload quite quickly. Apps were all downloaded and reinstalled as soon as I first booted up my phone. Contacts were already backed up to the cloud, so I didn't lose anyone's phone number.

Pretty much the only thing that I didn't get back on my new phone were my old SMS messages, and I had to relogin to all of my apps, but not a big deal.

The Pixels include a USB OTG adapter and special software that lets you move over EVERYTHING including SMS messages.

Android phones are a hell of a lot different than the Note 2 and G3 that you were used to, they're all really nice now, with great hardware and software. (Although I wouldn't buy an S8 for the software though...)

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I must say I haven't really experienced any major problems with iOS 11. Running 11.2 on a 7 plus. Working great. As a long term android user I am enjoying it and don't regret missing it or the fragmented ecosystem at all. Sure there are a few things I would like, like WiFi Analyzer, but on the whole it has been a pleasant experience

On 12/2/2017 at 11:55 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

You shouldn't have any issue with that.  WhatsApp, telegram, discord, Google hangouts or whatever they call it, Facebook, and ... idk snapchat? etc. - all those kinds of apps would handle their syncing internally and definitely would sync across devices.  It's just text messages (you know old SMS) that wouldn't (perhaps), but I don't see an issue with that.  They're slow, unreliable, limited, insecure, and in some cases expensive, so I don't imagine anyone is using them for anything more than an occasional "I'm at _place here_" or "pick up milk on the way home", etc. - things no one would care to sync.

Not with whatsapp.

You should tell it to do it and it will use ur google drive storage but with telegram(which is awesome) you don't need to do any backup because it's completely cloud base and that's the best thing about it among a lot of other things that it does but whatsapp doesn't 

14 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

I just switched from my Galaxy S7 to a OnePlus 5T. And to address your biggest concern, no, none of my SMS messages transferred over to my new phone. I set up my phone by using Tap and Go, which was introduced back in Lollipop. When I setup my new phone, pretty much everything transferred over. Photos were previously backed up by Google Photos (however, they are not stored locally on my device), for music, I already have a subscription to Play Music, so music could redownload quite quickly. Apps were all downloaded and reinstalled as soon as I first booted up my phone. Contacts were already backed up to the cloud, so I didn't lose anyone's phone number.

Pretty much the only thing that I didn't get back on my new phone were my old SMS messages, and I had to relogin to all of my apps, but not a big deal.

The Pixels include a USB OTG adapter and special software that lets you move over EVERYTHING including SMS messages.

Android phones are a hell of a lot different than the Note 2 and G3 that you were used to, they're all really nice now, with great hardware and software. (Although I wouldn't buy an S8 for the software though...)

Samsung phones have samsung account which is able to backup ur messages too but for me (im using aops roms) there is no "official way" to backup my messages and that's really strange because google backs up literally everything except sms messageso.O

On 12/2/2017 at 2:28 AM, hey_yo_ said:

Well if someone texted me something important like a list or an important address or tracking number for a package or money wire transfer and my phone got stolen, I can recover those text messages on my new phone as long as I’m connected to cellular data wifi and it’s automatically backed up to the cloud. It’s something iPhone users have been enjoying since iOS 5. The lack of automatic syncing of text messages to the cloud on Android is one of the reasons that I’m sticking to the iPhone even though I’m starting to hate it more and more. 

Since Google has been doing things Apple-style a lot, why can’t they have automatic syncing and backup of text messages to the cloud? 

you mean like this

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

you mean like this

Google Voice is not available to all countries 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Google Voice is not available to all countries 

icloud doesnt provide the best experience. my mom got locked out because its asking for a passcode and she said she never set one so she cant even get her contacts and photos over

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

well icloud doesnt provide the best experience either. my mom got locked out because its asking for a passcode and she said she never set one so she cant even get her contacts and photos over

There's no way to create an iCloud account without a password, so your mom forgot it or someone else set it for her. In either case, iCloud isn't the source of the problem.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

icloud doesnt provide the best experience. my mom got locked out because its asking for a passcode and she said she never set one so she cant even get her contacts and photos over

There’s no way Apple will ever allow creating an iCloud account without a password. I think what you’re referring is she forgot the passcode of her iPhone which again, is not Apple’s fault. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

There's no way to create an iCloud account without a password, so your mom forgot it or someone else set it for her. In either case, iCloud isn't the source of the problem.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

There’s no way Apple will ever allow creating an iCloud account without a password. I think what you’re referring is she forgot the passcode of her iPhone which again, is not Apple’s fault. 

no she has the password but its asking for a passcode that's 4 digits so its not the 2 factor authentication code either and its not the phone passcode since her phone passcode is more than 4 digits and it asks for it when you are signing into your icloud account in settings

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

no she has the password but its asking for a passcode that's 4 digits so its not the 2 factor authentication code either and its not the phone passcode since her phone passcode is more than 4 digits and it asks for it when you are signing into your icloud account in settings

The only other passcode is the iCloud keychain passcode, but that just syncs passwords to iCloud and doesn't prevent you from accessing contacts/photos. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

50 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The only other passcode is the iCloud keychain passcode, but that just syncs passwords to iCloud and doesn't prevent you from accessing contacts/photos. 

its preventing my mom from logging in so its probably not that then