Got an iPhone on iOS 11.1.2? It may crash on December 2

iamdarkyoshi

Sauce: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/02/ios-11-1-2-date-bug-crash-loop/

crashloopios11-800x600.jpg

A date-related bug in iOS 11.1.2 appears to be causing iPhones to continually crash or respring when time-based local notifications are received after 12:15 a.m. on December 2, according to reports on Twitter and reddit

The problem seems to be tied to local notifications received from apps that offer daily or repeat reminders. For example, meditation app Headspace, one of the affected apps, sends daily reminders to users to encourage them to take some time to meditate. Any app using local (as in not pushed from a remote server) notifications that repeat will cause a crash. 

On reddit, users have had some success fixing the issue by disabling notifications and turning off background app refresh, while Apple's support staff appears to be recommending a manual date change to a time before the problem occurred as a temporarily solution. Reinstalling apps and restarting does not fix the issue. The problem looks like it's limited to devices running iOS 11.1.2 -- devices on the current iOS 11.2 beta aren't affected. 

iOS 11 seems to have been one of the most amusingly buggiest versions to date. While this issue seems to have been fixed in a beta release, most people won't be using said beta release.

I wonder what other dates this would have happened on.

bit late for me, about 25 minutes, good thing I don't have an iPhone :P

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Wow they have been having a rough couple of months lately with little issues like this

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Apple Stores in Australia, where it is late afternoon on December 2, are reportedly being inundated with support requests from customers who are experiencing the issue. 

Comment from the article:

Australia, the ultimate beta testing country.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow they have been having a rough couple of months lately with little issues like this

Thats why samsung ftw 

Apple, treating you like Meg since 2007.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Tell me about it. iOS 11 is the shittiest iOS release ever and I can’t fathom as to why Linus would even say iOS 11 is awesome. Now Apple has become that company that I used to know. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Oh, Apple.

The security bug in macOS High Sierra, then breaking file transfer with a bugfix update to said bug and now this.

Whatever happened to "it just works"?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Oh, Apple.

The security bug in macOS High Sierra, then breaking file transfer with a bugfix update to said bug and now this.

This. This happened.

Mac-Pro_2013_Mac-Pro_2013.jpg.33034c9044031cc903a8b27c2f47e5fb.jpg

I'm just genuinely annoyed.

Ever since macOS and Windows went to a yearly update schedule, they just seem to be riddled with issues.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

31 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Oh, Apple.

You missed a LOT of other things...

In no particular order:

• FaceID being fooled after they said it couldn't be
  • iPhone green line screen issue
  • iPhone cold screen issue
  • iPhone swelling battery problem
  • iOS autocorrect bug
  • iOS calculator bug
  • MacOS encryption bug
  • MacOS root with no password bug

I'm probably forgetting quite a few myself

And just generally other bad press like the child labour story, the high repair costs especially for silly things like back glass, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Here are some fixes provided by the YouTube channel EverythingApplePro

1. Change time zone to Honolulu, HI (UTC-10:00)
  2. Set date back to yesterday

As an iPhone user, I would say "fuck Apple's quality control"! >:(

I looked at the clock and realized I was reading this at 12:15 am on December 2nd. Good thing I have Android!xD

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

I have less than an hour before I'll be hearing my brother yelling at his updated iPhone 8. O.o

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

That awkward moment when I still haven't ran into a single iOS 11 bug :S 

Edit: actually I take that back, there was one, I did run into the cold screen issue once.

48 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

Thats why samsung ftw 

It seems like an odd choice to use a company that had phones literally catching on fire and burning users as your dream for a phone company.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

36 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

iPhone swelling battery problem

The issue was isolated and it doesn’t have the same reports of swelling battery as the Galaxy Note 7

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

To be fair, 6 reported incidents (off my head, including the one in november in korea) is a pretty amazing track record for battery manufacturing issues o_o

unlike the Note 7 floodgate ._.

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

The issue was isolated and it doesn’t have the same reports of swelling battery as the Galaxy Note 7

It still happened, and it's along the same theme of Apple messing things up... a lot of things, and in not very long

Been putting off the update because I'm lazy. Hell yeah 11.1.1

That's an F in the profile pic

29 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It still happened, and it's along the same theme of Apple messing things up... a lot of things, and in not very long

The shit Apple is pulling through at the moment makes me want to go back to Android. The last two Android phones I used (Galaxy Note 2 & LG G3) have been very lackluster and disappointing so I don’t know if things have changed with Android. Does Android now backup text messages to the Google Drive just like the iPhone with iCloud to make it easier switching from one Android phone to another? 

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

The shit Apple is pulling through at the moment makes me want to go back to Android. The last two Android phones I used (Galaxy Note 2 & LG G3) have been very lackluster and disappointing so I don’t know if things have changed with Android. Does Android now backup text messages to the Google Drive just like the iPhone with iCloud to make it easier switching from one Android phone to another? 

Of all the things that get synced to the cloud, it would never have occurred to me that people would want text messages to be part of that group.  I can't honestly see a reason for it.  But to answer the question (well, not really but...) I don't know.  I would imagine that google being google they offer a way to sync anything and everything you can and want to but I have not tested it myself and haven't ever read about it.

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I had to port over my parent's phone the other way. Forget dealing with whatsapp messages. Like really don't bother.

You shouldn't have any issue with that.  WhatsApp, telegram, discord, Google hangouts or whatever they call it, Facebook, and ... idk snapchat? etc. - all those kinds of apps would handle their syncing internally and definitely would sync across devices.  It's just text messages (you know old SMS) that wouldn't (perhaps), but I don't see an issue with that.  They're slow, unreliable, limited, insecure, and in some cases expensive, so I don't imagine anyone is using them for anything more than an occasional "I'm at _place here_" or "pick up milk on the way home", etc. - things no one would care to sync.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Of all the things that get synced to the cloud, it would never have occurred to me that people would want text messages to be part of that group.  I can't honestly see a reason for it.  But to answer the question (well, not really but...) I don't know.  I would imagine that google being google they offer a way to sync anything and everything you can and want to but I have not tested it myself and haven't ever read about it.

Well if someone texted me something important like a list or an important address or tracking number for a package or money wire transfer and my phone got stolen, I can recover those text messages on my new phone as long as I’m connected to cellular data wifi and it’s automatically backed up to the cloud. It’s something iPhone users have been enjoying since iOS 5. The lack of automatic syncing of text messages to the cloud on Android is one of the reasons that I’m sticking to the iPhone even though I’m starting to hate it more and more. 

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I had to port over my parent's phone the other way. Forget dealing with whatsapp messages. Like really don't bother.

Since Google has been doing things Apple-style a lot, why can’t they have automatic syncing and backup of text messages to the cloud? 

Edited by hey_yo_

Thank god I'm on iOS10... Just wish Apple would stop nagging me to update to 11 and waste my bandwidth because I keep deleting the update files. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Well if someone texted me something important like a list or an important address or tracking number for a package or money wire transfer and my phone got stolen, I can recover those text messages on my new phone as long as I’m connected to cellular data and it’s automatically backed up to the cloud. It’s something iPhone users have been enjoying since iOS 5. The lack of automatic syncing of text messages to the cloud on Android is one of the reasons that I’m sticking to the iPhone even though I’m starting to hate it more and more. 

Since Google has been doing things Apple-style a lot, why can’t they have automatic syncing and backup of text messages to the cloud? 

Despite what I've said, it honestly strikes me as very strange that they wouldn't sync.  Almost too hard to believe.