Vidme is shutting down

LateLesley

Goodbye for now

Vidme came a long way as an independent platform, but we couldn’t find a path to sustainability. We’re building something new.

https://medium.com/vidme/goodbye-for-now-120b40becafa

Just seen a youtube channel I follow announce this. I thought it was worth posting, in case folk have content they need to backup. 

I wanted to search to see if it had been already posted, but couldn't find a forum search option?? Can someone educate me on how to do this? 

I honestly never knew it existed :S A shame that another YouTube competitor has fallen though.

4 minutes ago, LateLesley said:

I wanted to search to see if it had been already posted, but couldn't find a forum search option?? Can someone educate me on how to do this? 

For desktop: If you scroll to the top, there is a search box in the top right.

For mobile: Tap the menu button in the top right, then click the search icon.

2 minutes ago, tjcater said:

For desktop: If you scroll to the top, there is a search box in the top right.

For mobile: Tap the menu button in the top right, then click the search icon.

999 posts! Screenshot 1000

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

*slaps forehead* Thanks tjcater. I've found it now, only shows when i'm scrolled all the way to the top. Plus, I had a bit of software which may have hidden it. Thank you for the help. :)

4 minutes ago, JDE said:

999 posts! Screenshot 1000

I, I have finally broken past this barrier! Great, now I need to hit 10k....

Spoiler

Is this what you meant

Untitled.thumb.png.97db8741f4b5de38a204aa77f0cf12c4.png

2 minutes ago, LateLesley said:

*slaps forehead* Thanks tjcater. I've found it now, only shows when i'm scrolled all the way to the top. Plus, I had a bit of software which may have hidden it. Thank you for the help. :)

No problem, glad to have helped.

4 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I, I have finally broken past this barrier! Great, now I need to hit 10k....

Reveal hidden contents

Is this what you meant

Untitled.thumb.png.97db8741f4b5de38a204aa77f0cf12c4.png

No problem, glad to have helped.

As in, your 1000th post.

5a223110405d1_Screenshot(13).png.61ceb889e5cc60b2e0fe7c883af2ae03.png

We should stop getting off-topic.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

We should stop getting off-topic.

How do you feel about the fall of vidme ;)

Just now, tjcater said:

How do you feel about the fall of vidme ;)

I hate when internet service shutdown.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Wait... it already failed? Wasn't this supposed to be the up-and-coming underdog that was going to destroy youtube?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Most new tech start ups have this issue, the sillicon valley model, spend like hell and hope you make enough waves for a big firm to come buy you out. Unfortunately, for every project that actually gets bought up, 10 more are doomed to fail. 

This is why I like FP, it has sustainability designed into it from the get go, they know you can knock youtube of the throne, so why try.

P.S. even Youtube barely makes a profit, and they are HUGE! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Most new tech start ups have this issue, the sillicon valley model, spend like hell and hope you make enough waves for a big firm to come buy you out. Unfortunately, for every project that actually gets bought up, 10 more are doomed to fail. 

This is why I like FP, it has sustainability designed into it from the get go, they know you can knock youtube of the throne, so why try.

P.S. even Youtube barely makes a profit, and they are HUGE! 

YouTube has never made a profit. It's actually been an illegal anti-competitive operation by Google since they bought it. It's something people don't really get and why Google never segments the information out. Google has subsidized the existence of YouTube to the tune of over 10 Billion USD, possibly more, for the last decade.  YouTube finally started making decent revenue a few years ago, but they're still very far in the Red.

The Model doesn't work. You need some form of paid model for storage and high-level use, along with "Free" being with Ads and "Ad-free" being a normal user option. The biggest issue is that users are used to the subsidization of Video Content on the Internet. To the tune of Billions. 

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

YouTube has never made a profit. It's actually been an illegal anti-competitive operation by Google since they bought it. It's something people don't really get and why Google never segments the information out. Google has subsidized the existence of YouTube to the tune of over 10 Billion USD, possibly more, for the last decade.  YouTube finally started making decent revenue a few years ago, but they're still very far in the Red.

The Model doesn't work. You need some form of paid model for storage and high-level use, along with "Free" being with Ads and "Ad-free" being a normal user option. The biggest issue is that users are used to the subsidization of Video Content on the Internet. To the tune of Billions. 

Technically, we don't know if YouTube makes a profit or not. Google doesn't publish that information. But market analysists seem to think thanks to the rise of mobile view they are now in the black. 

I'd search and link some articles if I could be bothered.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

20 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Technically, we don't know if YouTube makes a profit or not. Google doesn't publish that information. But market analysists seem to think thanks to the rise of mobile view they are now in the black. 

I'd search and link some articles if I could be bothered.

If Google split it out, they'd find a way to remove most of the infrastructure costs from YouTube's filings. The move from "Google" to "Alphabet" was something of a preemptive move anyway. They've had clear liability for Anti-Trust violations with they way they subsidize YouTube. YT spent until, it seems, around 2012 just being a pit where they had to throw billions into to survive. Lots and lots of deals later, YT is the only platform left because bandwidth costs took time to keep drop far enough so the per-view expenses got low. 

I'm still not convinced Mobile Ad rates are that much better than Desktop, though if Mobile is running at a lower bandwidth cost, that does help the bottom line.

A YT competitor probably needs another 4-5 years of Internet development before the upfront costs are low enough to really work, but there's no Ad-model that'll work. You need a Freemium model. You also need transaction costs to drop. Though the Trump Administration dropping an Anti-Trust case against Google would also help a YT competitor.

to me they failed because they limited the amount you could upload in a week, they also limited the quality you could upload as well, a weekly limit of 3gb isn't even a single video for me, so if i can only upload one video a week its just not worth my time

I've used it a bit. One of the youtubers i watch had it as a secondary platform

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

f2e.jpg.e3c96a829b9f3137e01ccb7cd857a9b1.jpg

5 hours ago, Matu20 said:

We need a competitor for youtube, hopefully something rises up.

Maybe BitChute or PewTube?

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

35 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Yeah this was visible from miles away... Knowing what we now know about video hosting costs it's impossible for me to look at a project like that as anything but absolutely crazy. 

But does Floatplane have the scaling and traffic costs part figured out? If YouTube even runs at a loss, does that mean FP content creators have to shoulder the costs or are they supposed to be covered by member subscription fees?

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

Yeah this was visible from miles away... Knowing what we now know about video hosting costs it's impossible for me to look at a project like that as anything but absolutely crazy. 

A real competitor to YouTube is still many years away from being viable. And no one is every going to replicate the way they operate. Given the distribution likely among views, the top 100 YouTubers are somewhere around 80% of all YouTube's net revenue. YT hosts millions of hours of unprofitable video, but everyone is used to Google subsidizing their Videos.

Over the next 5-10 years, as bandwidth & storage drops, some "open" competitor will eventually rise to the top. But we're still some space from that. This is part of why YouTube is running content creators that have followings but aren't really "ad friendly" away from the platform. It's both content censorship and better for their business.

1 hour ago, danieltien said:

But does Floatplane have the scaling and traffic costs part figured out? If YouTube even runs at a loss, does that mean FP content creators have to shoulder the costs or are they supposed to be covered by member subscription fees?

YT runs at a loss because the mass majority of videos never get over 1000 views. YouTube lets people upload 10 hour videos. That's never profitable. Freemium models will work if you have a fan base.

I think I used this site once and I remember that it was riddled with ads and it was filled with pirated movies so I'm not surprised that its shutting down

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(