Plex HEVC 4K Buffering

Hey HTPC cognoscenti,

I’ve recently installed an LG oled b7 and as a Plex user had hoped to stream some 4k content directly to the screen. Unfortunately the stream has to buffer every couple of minutes because it is transcoding and my cpu (2500k) clearly isn’t up to the task. I have attempted to set hardware transcoding on my 1070, but that is worse if anything. 

Does anyone one know of a way to force Plex to direct stream 265? I'm pretty sure the screen can comfortably accept the codec on that side. 

Alternatively,  can I convert out of hevc into something Plex can cope with that won’t degrade the quality?

Thanks!

On 12/1/2017 at 7:56 PM, Suitheist said:

Hey HTPC cognoscenti,

I’ve recently installed an LG oled b7 and as a Plex user had hoped to stream some 4k content directly to the screen. Unfortunately the stream has to buffer every couple of minutes because it is transcoding and my cpu (2500k) clearly isn’t up to the task. I have attempted to set hardware transcoding on my 1070, but that is worse if anything. 

Does anyone one know of a way to force Plex to direct stream 265? I'm pretty sure the screen can comfortably accept the codec on that side. 

Alternatively,  can I convert out of hevc into something Plex can cope with that won’t degrade the quality?

Thanks!

Hello

In my experience you can expect some issues if your server needs to encode the stream to your TV or Stream Box. Example: If your TV doesn't support Atmos try to add a second audio track that your tv can support like ac3 or dts 5.1. Read your manual and find for the audio supported by your TV. 

If you have a HT Receiver be sure that it can handle the audio and passthrough the video and audio with you HT using HDMI wire.

For 4K +  Dolby Atmos or DTS-X you will need one HT that support that kind of audio and video formats and use HDMI HDCP 2.0/2.2 wires.

*HDMI 1.4 only supports 1080p max

Hope helps!

Regards! 

Looking at the specs of the TV it does support HEVC (though not which HEVC profiles) and a slew of audio codecs

AC3(Dolby Digital), EAC3, HE-AAC, AAC, MP2, MP3, PCM, DTS, DTS-HD, DTS Express, WMA, apt-X

It doesn't say what containers it supports though.  So I'd make sure the videos you have are in the Main profile (most likely to be supported), that the audio is in one of the supported formats and then try various contained (mkv and/or mp4 is probably your best bet) until you find something that works.

Edit: There's a review here that goes through tests of a number of combinations of codecs, color depths, frame and bit rates and containers.  That might be useful for you.

Some important tip-data that maybe is relevant.

- Plex doesn't need a huge processor if you choose "original" to play on your device.

- In the (client side) settings look for "original" even another option tha is not original is recomended.

- Always use a wired connection, (that kind of buffer problems reminds me several treads on Plex support forum)

Keep looking and tell us ;)