Is My Broadband Company Cucking Me?

ScreamSlasher5X
5 hours ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

BT, I'm British.

Hmm, that's weird... I know everyone has different experiences, but couldn't be happier with BT. Also, how are you on 35Mbit/s?  Last I saw the only plans offered for VDSL is 52Mbit/s and 76Mbit/s. I pay for 52 and because I got their free upgrade I am on the 76Mbit/s plan and get approx 69Mbit/s to 71Mbit/s.

Have you checked the modem status to see what info is available?  and checked with a different ethernet connected PC too?  just to rule out it maybe being problems with your PCs connection.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

8 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Hmm, that's weird... I know everyone has different experiences, but couldn't be happier with BT. Also, how are you on 35Mbit/s?  Last I saw the only plans offered for VDSL is 52Mbit/s and 76Mbit/s. I pay for 52 and because I got their free upgrade I am on the 76Mbit/s plan and get approx 69Mbit/s to 71Mbit/s.

Have you checked the modem status to see what info is available?  and checked with a different ethernet connected PC too?  just to rule out it maybe being problems with your PCs connection.

Might be 52 then, I honestly can't remember. If I am paying for 52 and I'm only getting less than half that really does take the piss. The cable runs fine on my computer. As of typing this I am currently watching Twitch 1080P source with zero buffering.

1 hour ago, tt2468 said:

Ah well there's your problem. BT simply sucks ass, and they really don't give a flying hoot about you or your fellow customers.

I hear that with every company. I was planning to use Virgin but they weren't in my area and I always hear people complaining about them. I think they're all shit in their own respect.

Just now, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Might be 52 then, I honestly can't remember. If I am paying for 52 and I'm only getting less than half that really does take the piss. The cable runs fine on my computer. As of typing this I am currently watching Twitch 1080P source with zero buffering.

I'm not disputing it working fine... but that doesn't mean that your PC doesn't have issues just because it plays streams OK though. The speed means nothing really when it's streaming stuff like twitch, that takes very little of that 35Mb/s really. What I'm saying is go into the router and look at the information about the connection, for instance Capture.PNG.48c1594c3b5181bb33bacb1a740c9c6e.PNG

See above, you can see my linkrate is 79999kbps, if you can find your linkrate at least that would tell us if it's the ISP or possibly your connection box into the home, or maybe the router or PC that's stopping you getting the speed you pay for. I'm sorry but I can't remember where you would find that info on your router, I don't use a BT router as I hate them. If you log onto your account at BT BTW you should be able to see what package you're paying for.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

10 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I'm not disputing it working fine... but that doesn't mean that your PC doesn't have issues just because it plays streams OK though. The speed means nothing really when it's streaming stuff like twitch, that takes very little of that 35Mb/s really. What I'm saying is go into the router and look at the information about the connection, for instance Capture.PNG.48c1594c3b5181bb33bacb1a740c9c6e.PNG

See above, you can see my linkrate is 79999kbps, if you can find your linkrate at least that would tell us if it's the ISP or possibly your connection box into the home, or maybe the router or PC that's stopping you getting the speed you pay for. I'm sorry but I can't remember where you would find that info on your router, I don't use a BT router as I hate them. If you log onto your account at BT BTW you should be able to see what package you're paying for.

Hope this helps. My looks different. I checked every tab and I didn't see the same page as yours.

DSL.png

3 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Hope this helps. My looks different. I checked every tab and I didn't see the same page as yours.

DSL.png

That's not too bad, I'm assuming here, so forgive me if I am totally wrong here, that you are a ways from your street cabinet? cos if not I can't see a reason for it only being 40Mb/s downstream?

Do you remember what you were quoted when you signed up to BT? they quote you a minimum speed that you're supposed to get, if you fall short of that, then they have to try and fix it, and if they don't then you are within your rights to terminate the contract and go with another provider. You should have this info somewhere on your documents that BT sent/emailed etc to you when you joined.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

7 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

That's not too bad, I'm assuming here, so forgive me if I am totally wrong here, that you are a ways from your street cabinet? cos if not I can't see a reason for it only being 40Mb/s downstream?

Do you remember what you were quoted when you signed up to BT? they quote you a minimum speed that you're supposed to get, if you fall short of that, then they have to try and fix it, and if they don't then you are within your rights to terminate the contract and go with another provider. You should have this info somewhere on your documents that BT sent/emailed etc to you when you joined.

Well firstly I do in fact pay for 52, of which I have NEVER come close too. The quote I have no idea, I've been with them a while. Also I used a website to find out about the cabinet and I got this. May or may not be useful. If I were to guess I would say they probably quoted 30-40, because it seems pointless trying to sell you something that you'll get much less with. I'm sure it's frustrating me not being able to provide exact details, I share a bill with my mum and she does all the billing and I asked her in the past and she couldn't find it, don't ask...

DSL.png

1 minute ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Well firstly I do in fact pay for 52, of which I have NEVER come close too. The quote I have no idea, I've been with them a while. Also I used a website to find out about the cabinet and I got this. May or may not be useful. If I were to guess I would say they probably quoted 30-40, because it seems pointless trying to sell you something that you'll get much less with. I'm sure it's frustrating me not being able to provide exact details, I share a bill with my mum and she does all the billing and I asked her in the past and she couldn't find it, don't ask...

DSL.png

Ahh OK, if you've been with them for a while, you should've also gotten an upgrade to the higher band for free too. If I were you I would call them or chat, and ask what speed you should be getting at your premises, but while you're there also ask them about the upgrade to (upto) 76Mb/s that all loyal BT customers should've been given, IIRC it was anyone that was a BT customer before August this year.

That seems like it's just a list for which technologies can achieve which speeds (upto) - at your exchange maybe?  but I haven't seen one like that before so can't say for sure... if it is, then it looks like your exchange itself isn't capable for some reason to achieve higher speeds. How long has your area had fibre now? has it only just recently been hooked up maybe?  My brother that lives in the city originally had a simialr problem where he could only get a smaller speed... I looked into it and found out that his exchange would only allow upto the lower band, at the time that was 35Mb/s, then about 6-12 months later they finally finished the upgrades and everyone on that exchange that had a street cabinet near to their home could then get the upper speed of 76Mb/s... I checked my brothers modem/router myself and saw that even though he was on the 35Mb/s plan, his modem/router still had the downstream pegged at 80000kbps, so it was limiting it by his package type, not the downstream that the modem was capable of getting.

Anyway, so now my brother who is also with BT, can now get almost the full 76Mb/s since the free upgrade we were given last month... they did say they were rolling out the upgrades BTW and that everyone that was due the upgrade should be automatically upgraded and informed too. It was quite funny really, as I didn't even know there was an upgrade coming, just noticed my speed had increased by almost 20Mb/s... this was before they even announced it, then about a week or 2 went by and then they announced it and I was like "Ahhh that's why!!!"  - I certainly didn't ring up and ask as I thought they might have made a mistake :D

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of further help to you... I would definitely ring them and ask though if it's an echange limitation or street cabinet or something, distance from one/both or other of those 2 things. You can check your exchange info here by the way  https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Good luck mate, hope you've got an upgrade coming and that your exchange can handle it.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

17 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Ahh OK, if you've been with them for a while, you should've also gotten an upgrade to the higher band for free too. If I were you I would call them or chat, and ask what speed you should be getting at your premises, but while you're there also ask them about the upgrade to (upto) 76Mb/s that all loyal BT customers should've been given, IIRC it was anyone that was a BT customer before August this year.

That seems like it's just a list for which technologies can achieve which speeds (upto) - at your exchange maybe?  but I haven't seen one like that before so can't say for sure... if it is, then it looks like your exchange itself isn't capable for some reason to achieve higher speeds. How long has your area had fibre now? has it only just recently been hooked up maybe?  My brother that lives in the city originally had a simialr problem where he could only get a smaller speed... I looked into it and found out that his exchange would only allow upto the lower band, at the time that was 35Mb/s, then about 6-12 months later they finally finished the upgrades and everyone on that exchange that had a street cabinet near to their home could then get the upper speed of 76Mb/s... I checked my brothers modem/router myself and saw that even though he was on the 35Mb/s plan, his modem/router still had the downstream pegged at 80000kbps, so it was limiting it by his package type, not the downstream that the modem was capable of getting.

Anyway, so now my brother who is also with BT, can now get almost the full 76Mb/s since the free upgrade we were given last month... they did say they were rolling out the upgrades BTW and that everyone that was due the upgrade should be automatically upgraded and informed too. It was quite funny really, as I didn't even know there was an upgrade coming, just noticed my speed had increased by almost 20Mb/s... this was before they even announced it, then about a week or 2 went by and then they announced it and I was like "Ahhh that's why!!!"  - I certainly didn't ring up and ask as I thought they might have made a mistake :D

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of further help to you... I would definitely ring them and ask though if it's an echange limitation or street cabinet or something, distance from one/both or other of those 2 things. You can check your exchange info here by the way  https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Good luck mate, hope you've got an upgrade coming and that your exchange can handle it.

No. I appreciate it. I read your reply quite some time ago but didn't have the chance to respond. I'll look into hopefully tomorrow even though it is going to be some what busy. If you happen to care I'll share my "result" if any that I get from them. I appreciate you taking the time out, I've posted on this website a couple of times and maybe this is the norm but I'll get people respond who then decide not to bother responding regardless if I reply almost instantly, so I'm grateful that you decided to stick around.

5 hours ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

No. I appreciate it. I read your reply quite some time ago but didn't have the chance to respond. I'll look into hopefully tomorrow even though it is going to be some what busy. If you happen to care I'll share my "result" if any that I get from them. I appreciate you taking the time out, I've posted on this website a couple of times and maybe this is the norm but I'll get people respond who then decide not to bother responding regardless if I reply almost instantly, so I'm grateful that you decided to stick around.

No worries mate, yeah I'd be interested to see what happens, so please share your experiences with us, good or bad... but hopefully good :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 02/12/2017 at 11:06 PM, paddy-stone said:

No worries mate, yeah I'd be interested to see what happens, so please share your experiences with us, good or bad... but hopefully good :)

Long story short the weekend and Monday was a shit storm. The boiler packed up and ended up having six leaks, all fixed up now though. Anyway, moving on. I gave them a call yesterday. Found out that the cabinet is about ten roads away or a five minute walk. I am quoted to be getting between 36-39Mb which oddly enough I happened to be getting when the tested the line, so fuck knows there, if it stays that way then fine. I won't be getting the upgrade to 76Mb because the hardware in my area is trash, upon asking if they would come out and upgrade everything I was told it was highly unlikely as we already have fibre, yeah, fibre up to 52Mb. All is good though. I signed a form years ago stating that I wanted Virgin to come to my area and at the time it said that if there were enough people in our area who sign up then they would bring it out. I checked their website again to find out it wasn't in our area, however I already knew this. I decided out of curiosity to give them a call after having got off an hour phone call with BT and tell them that I had signed said form and whether or not they were able to provide an update or tell me if they were going to come to my area if at all. To which I was told they have three stages, Red, Amber and Green. Red being they definitely aren't coming out. Amber being they are planning the possibility but you could be looking at 15 months to a few years before they do. Green being they are coming out and within six to twelve months. I was told my area was green to which I was delighted, upon this news I asked if they would be 'laying' the "good shit" and was told they would (This is obvious but I didn't want to assume) to which I was then told that I would be able to get 300Mb of which I am guaranteed of 290Mb, I was told all the new area are hitting this target successfully as should I providing I buy it of course. It's honestly not as expensive as I thought it would be either, £50 give or take for 300Mb isn't bad, especially when I'm playing £55 now for fucking 52Mb and for the home phone which the home phone can fuck off now. Naturally I might decided that if others in the house don't have the cash to split to get 300Mb then I'll go lower but it'll still be cheaper than getting the current 52Mb and I'll get more too. Kind of hoping that because Virgin isn't in my area they'll do some epic deals to reel in customers, to which I would easily switch. I should have asked how long our area had been in the green stage, you know I might to that in a bit.

31 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Long story short the weekend and Monday was a shit storm. The boiler packed up and ended up having six leaks, all fixed up now though. Anyway, moving on. I gave them a call yesterday. Found out that the cabinet is about ten roads away or a five minute walk. I am quoted to be getting between 36-39Mb which oddly enough I happened to be getting when the tested the line, so fuck knows there, if it stays that way then fine. I won't be getting the upgrade to 76Mb because the hardware in my area is trash, upon asking if they would come out and upgrade everything I was told it was highly unlikely as we already have fibre, yeah, fibre up to 52Mb. All is good though. I signed a form years ago stating that I wanted Virgin to come to my area and at the time it said that if there were enough people in our area who sign up then they would bring it out. I checked their website again to find out it wasn't in our area, however I already knew this. I decided out of curiosity to give them a call after having got off an hour phone call with BT and tell them that I had signed said form and whether or not they were able to provide an update or tell me if they were going to come to my area if at all. To which I was told they have three stages, Red, Amber and Green. Red being they definitely aren't coming out. Amber being they are planning the possibility but you could be looking at 15 months to a few years before they do. Green being they are coming out and within six to twelve months. I was told my area was green to which I was delighted, upon this news I asked if they would be 'laying' the "good shit" and was told they would (This is obvious but I didn't want to assume) to which I was then told that I would be able to get 300Mb of which I am guaranteed of 290Mb, I was told all the new area are hitting this target successfully as should I providing I buy it of course. It's honestly not as expensive as I thought it would be either, £50 give or take for 300Mb isn't bad, especially when I'm playing £55 now for fucking 52Mb and for the home phone which the home phone can fuck off now. Naturally I might decided that if others in the house don't have the cash to split to get 300Mb then I'll go lower but it'll still be cheaper than getting the current 52Mb and I'll get more too. Kind of hoping that because Virgin isn't in my area they'll do some epic deals to reel in customers, to which I would easily switch. I should have asked how long our area had been in the green stage, you know I might to that in a bit.

That's great about the virgin media probably coming to your area soon :)

I would be stoked too. There is definitely no chance of it coming to my area, live over 35 miles away from the nearest virgin enabled area. So quite lucky in a way that we got BT upto 76Mbit here, cos if not I'd be mad as hell. We were getting 17Mbit/s before we got fibre in my area... I was the 3rd person to be connected when we got it, I was checking weekly to see when we got it, lol :D

If your cabinet is that close to you, then it's definitely that they haven't got the full-fat fibre in your area I would say. Our cabinet is around 1/4 mile away from me, tested with the BT checker IIRC.

Anyway, great news about virgin, hope it's soon for you. Just FYI the 100Mbit package is only ~£30 IIRC, I looked this up for one of my sisters last year when she moved house and is in a virgin area. Stupidly she opted for EE broadband instead, and is only getting around 1Mbit/s instead.... I told her and she didn't listen as usual, lol.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

52 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

That's great about the virgin media probably coming to your area soon :)

I would be stoked too. There is definitely no chance of it coming to my area, live over 35 miles away from the nearest virgin enabled area. So quite lucky in a way that we got BT upto 76Mbit here, cos if not I'd be mad as hell. We were getting 17Mbit/s before we got fibre in my area... I was the 3rd person to be connected when we got it, I was checking weekly to see when we got it, lol :D

If your cabinet is that close to you, then it's definitely that they haven't got the full-fat fibre in your area I would say. Our cabinet is around 1/4 mile away from me, tested with the BT checker IIRC.

Anyway, great news about virgin, hope it's soon for you. Just FYI the 100Mbit package is only ~£30 IIRC, I looked this up for one of my sisters last year when she moved house and is in a virgin area. Stupidly she opted for EE broadband instead, and is only getting around 1Mbit/s instead.... I told her and she didn't listen as usual, lol.

Females, am I right? I was getting THREE MB from fucking TalkTalk, no word of a lie they are pure cancer I had nothing but problems with them and I'd heard the same from plenty of others. Sky were pretty shite too. Yeah, when I was told about Virgin and their 300Mb speed it definitely tickled my pickle. I'm lucky that I live decently close to a town and therefore Virgin is there and makes it more likely for them to bring it to me. Wasn't best pleased with BT's answer to me but all that washed over hearing the glorious news. I can't wait to tell BT to either sort their shit out or stick it. There'll be some decent competition now.

Actually for me talktalk was good, they got me 17Mbit/s, when BT said they couldn't do it... my exchange supported LLU. Even up til the time I changed to fibre, BT still couldn't do 17Mbit/s on broadband in my area. I was on 17Mbit/s for a couple years IIRC. BT wanted more money for less speed too, lol.. I was paying around £37 a month for 17Mbit/s and unlimited phonecalls... BT wanted £54 and only weekend calls.

Talktalk is still good on price and beats BT, BUT I won't go with them anymore, as when I was leaving them to fibre, they messed me around so much it wasn't funny... had to call them numerous times for hours on end to get it sorted out eventually.

With BT it's been plain sailing, they recently offered me a better deal to stay with them as my 12 months contract was up. Am now paying £43 a month for upto 76Mbit/s (actual around 69-71), weekend phonecalls, and 2 mobile contracts, one that I use for the house mostly and has 1GB data, unlimited phoencalls/texts and one that's my personal mobile, and has unlimited phone/texts and 3GB data. Plus I git a £55 Amazon gift card :)

@ScreamSlasher5X

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

28 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Females, am I right? I was getting THREE MB from fucking TalkTalk, no word of a lie they are pure cancer I had nothing but problems with them and I'd heard the same from plenty of others. Sky were pretty shite too. Yeah, when I was told about Virgin and their 300Mb speed it definitely tickled my pickle. I'm lucky that I live decently close to a town and therefore Virgin is there and makes it more likely for them to bring it to me. Wasn't best pleased with BT's answer to me but all that washed over hearing the glorious news. I can't wait to tell BT to either sort their shit out or stick it. There'll be some decent competition now.

Forgot to quote you.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Actually for me talktalk was good, they got me 17Mbit/s, when BT said they couldn't do it... my exchange supported LLU. Even up til the time I changed to fibre, BT still couldn't do 17Mbit/s on broadband in my area. I was on 17Mbit/s for a couple years IIRC. BT wanted more money for less speed too, lol.. I was paying around £37 a month for 17Mbit/s and unlimited phonecalls... BT wanted £54 and only weekend calls.

Talktalk is still good on price and beats BT, BUT I won't go with them anymore, as when I was leaving them to fibre, they messed me around so much it wasn't funny... had to call them numerous times for hours on end to get it sorted out eventually.

With BT it's been plain sailing, they recently offered me a better deal to stay with them as my 12 months contract was up. Am now paying £43 a month for upto 76Mbit/s (actual around 69-71), weekend phonecalls, and 2 mobile contracts, one that I use for the house mostly and has 1GB data, unlimited phoencalls/texts and one that's my personal mobile, and has unlimited phone/texts and 3GB data. Plus I git a £55 Amazon gift card :)

@ScreamSlasher5X

Damn, not bad. TalkTalk were nothing but fucking problems for us. Non stop disconnections, constantly calling them to fix their shit, non stop buffering, awful experience. Tis the way of life though. I had a shit experience and you didn't, previously in this topic someone said BT was shit, I'll admit they haven't been perfect but far better than TalkTalk. It's funny, I'm now out of contract and they want to charge me £50 for 52Mb of which I'll only get 35-40Mb, call any time and line rental, that would be saving me a total of a couple of quid here and there since it changes per month currently.

57 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Damn, not bad. TalkTalk were nothing but fucking problems for us. Non stop disconnections, constantly calling them to fix their shit, non stop buffering, awful experience. Tis the way of life though. I had a shit experience and you didn't, previously in this topic someone said BT was shit, I'll admit they haven't been perfect but far better than TalkTalk. It's funny, I'm now out of contract and they want to charge me £50 for 52Mb of which I'll only get 35-40Mb, call any time and line rental, that would be saving me a total of a couple of quid here and there since it changes per month currently.

Ring their retentions line if out of contract. Talktalk do upto 76Mbit/s for only £28 a mth inc line rental... and if you quote that to the retentions people and can they match it, they should get close, if not I'd consider going with TT again TBH, no way would I pay £50 when TT is offering better than that for only £28.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

23 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Ring their retentions line if out of contract. Talktalk do upto 76Mbit/s for only £28 a mth inc line rental... and if you quote that to the retentions people and can they match it, they should get close, if not I'd consider going with TT again TBH, no way would I pay £50 when TT is offering better than that for only £28.

Didn't think about that. I'll give it a shot. Cheers.

4 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Didn't think about that. I'll give it a shot. Cheers.

No worries, hope you get offered a good deal.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

18 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

No worries, hope you get offered a good deal.

I got the best offer ever! They'll charge £48 for the first month but then in January I can pay £50 for 52Mb and free anytime UK calls, what an excellent deal, granted I save six pounds. While TalkTalk will do £27 for 76Mb and £7 for free anytime UK calls for a total of £35, saving me £15 and not only is it cheaper but I'll get faster speeds. Now here's something that's irritated me. When I spoke a woman from BT she told me that I can 76Mb of speed when on at least four occasions I was told that I could only achieve 52Mb due to infrastructure, I was told I could log into their website and go to this and then that and check the speed in my area myself. I told her I was confused because on plenty of occasions I was told I could go faster and she guaranteed that I could in fact go to 76Mb, WTF?... I'll leave it till tomorrow and call again and threaten that I'm leaving BT if they cannot do any where near more cheaper than £50, I plan on swapping to Virgin when they come out anyway. As I mentioned before I personally had nothing but problems with TalkTalk but hopefully if I make the change they have sorted their shit out and I don't get pounded over and over again from them. Oh and Line Rental and Set Up is free, as it should fucking be anyway.

They could be bottlenecking you.... None of us like to think about that, but they do that sometimes.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

1 minute ago, ShadowDeity said:

They could be bottlenecking you.... None of us like to think about that, but they do that sometimes.

The issue is the OP has DSL. If UK telephone companies are anything like the US ones, they probably dont invest much in maintenance or upgrading. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The issue is the OP has DSL. If UK telephone companies are anything like the US ones, they probably dont invest much in maintenance or upgrading. 

Aye. Telephone line. That'll all be fixed when Virgin come out to me.

6 hours ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

I got the best offer ever! They'll charge £48 for the first month but then in January I can pay £50 for 52Mb and free anytime UK calls, what an excellent deal, granted I save six pounds. While TalkTalk will do £27 for 76Mb and £7 for free anytime UK calls for a total of £35, saving me £15 and not only is it cheaper but I'll get faster speeds. Now here's something that's irritated me. When I spoke a woman from BT she told me that I can 76Mb of speed when on at least four occasions I was told that I could only achieve 52Mb due to infrastructure, I was told I could log into their website and go to this and then that and check the speed in my area myself. I told her I was confused because on plenty of occasions I was told I could go faster and she guaranteed that I could in fact go to 76Mb, WTF?... I'll leave it till tomorrow and call again and threaten that I'm leaving BT if they cannot do any where near more cheaper than £50, I plan on swapping to Virgin when they come out anyway. As I mentioned before I personally had nothing but problems with TalkTalk but hopefully if I make the change they have sorted their shit out and I don't get pounded over and over again from them. Oh and Line Rental and Set Up is free, as it should fucking be anyway.

Just sign up with TT mate, as I said before £27 is a LOT less than BT want.

I had hardly any problems with my line with TT, just when I was trying to sort some stuff out they mucked me around royally and ultimately that's why I left them to go to BT in the end. The fibre was good, got around same as I do now between 69-71 most of the time day or night, even at peak times it didn't go lower than that usually.

Hell, you can even just go back with BT as a new customer if you do a few things like have the account name as someone else in the house, then you can get the £125 gift card and around £80 cashback from TCB/quidco - offers vary... but seeing as BT has been saying you couldn't get the higher speed, I would be inclined to go with TT, just remember to check TCB/quidco for offers as you can get some serious coin back most of the time, plus it's only £27 for the higher package. You've given them multiple times to fix the problems that are plaguing you, and have been outright lied to it seems... doesn't surprise me really as I have seen this many times where the phone monkeys don't know their jobs properly and then feed you inaccurate info.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

18 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Just sign up with TT mate, as I said before £27 is a LOT less than BT want.

I had hardly any problems with my line with TT, just when I was trying to sort some stuff out they mucked me around royally and ultimately that's why I left them to go to BT in the end. The fibre was good, got around same as I do now between 69-71 most of the time day or night, even at peak times it didn't go lower than that usually.

Hell, you can even just go back with BT as a new customer if you do a few things like have the account name as someone else in the house, then you can get the £125 gift card and around £80 cashback from TCB/quidco - offers vary... but seeing as BT has been saying you couldn't get the higher speed, I would be inclined to go with TT, just remember to check TCB/quidco for offers as you can get some serious coin back most of the time, plus it's only £27 for the higher package. You've given them multiple times to fix the problems that are plaguing you, and have been outright lied to it seems... doesn't surprise me really as I have seen this many times where the phone monkeys don't know their jobs properly and then feed you inaccurate info.

True. Might try my luck seeing if I can get a non contract with them first though, I don't want to be roped into an eighteen month contract when I don't plan on staying with them. By chance do you know roughly how much a company charges if you decide to switch from them while still being in contract?