Is My Broadband Company Cucking Me?

ScreamSlasher5X

I currently get "35Mb" although I seem to only achieve 25Mb and rarely have I ever seen it go above. First can someone expain why I'm not achieving 35Mb? I'm using Cat5e cable which in my understanding is current the best and going higher is pointless, so to my knowledge I should be fine on that aspect. When I called them last I was told that I could only get up to "35Mb" in my area due to infrastructure, however websites claim that I can in fact get 75Mb in my area, so which is it? Feeding me bollocks so I get a lower package that costs more in the long run? I don't really understand how it all works, I'm just sick of waiting forever for games to download, watching things isn't so bad though, seem to be able to watch full 1080p with next to no buffering. Appreciate some knowledge in here.

Are you on WiFi or Ethernet? If you're on WiFi, are you on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band? Usually, advertised speeds are only achievable though a wired Ethernet connection.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Are you on WiFi or Ethernet? If you're on WiFi, are you on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band? Usually, advertised speeds are only achievable though a wired Ethernet connection.

Ethernet.

It depends some companys allow specified packaging which means things like games and downloads get priority over other activity's. But if you have for instance your cell phone or other wifi devices connected it brings speeds down also back ground activitys on a console slow download times and even then with the way companys send you signal you should expect around 5 to 10 mbs of drop in speed and it to bounce between that and 35 mbs.

Also even tho you have ether net anything conected to your wifi hub will slow speeds mildly like i have 75mbs and i game on the xbox one x with a wired connection and if im also streamimg netflix on my chromecast its varys about 10 mbs sometimes more if i have people overwith fones on my wifi

How long is your cable, and is it Cat5, Cat6 or some other standard?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Could be line congestion or just bad signal interference/crosstalk in your line.

Then again I've been getting cucked by Comcast since ever... but it's the only ISP in my area that offers decent speeds. The rest don't even come close. 

Monopolies are good, aren't they! /s

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

i pay for 10 with frontier and get 4, while i now pay for 300 with spectrum and i get 350.

really depends what company you get.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

I pay for 175 mb/s and I get between 150 and 185 mb/s. 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

3 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

How long is your cable, and is it Cat5, Cat6 or some other standard?

I don't know, couple meters give or take. Cat5e as description states.

3 minutes ago, Phentos said:

Could be line congestion or just bad signal interference/crosstalk in your line.

Then again I've been getting cucked by Comcast since ever... but it's the only ISP in my area that offers decent speeds. The rest don't even come close. 

Monopolies are good, aren't they! /s

Well I have myself and a brother who uses Ethernet cables. Then wifi for one of my brothers computer and an ipad with the odd phone here or there using it.

1 minute ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

I don't know, couple meters give or take. Cat5e as description states.

That rules out any hardware issues caused by a cable that's too long. It's probably just variable speeds caused by your ISP. You could contact them, but it probably won't be any use. 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Im telling you the jump is because you have mutiple devices using your connection 

When you sign up for internet they never guarantee advertised speeds and it says so in the contract you signed with them. It's unfortunate but that's how the business runs. It's essentially a bandwidth 'cap' you're paying for, although some companies will let you go a bit over  if you're lucky. 

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

That rules out any hardware issues caused by a cable that's too long. It's probably just variable speeds caused by your ISP. You could contact them, but it probably won't be any use. 

ISP companies are by far the most fucking irritating companies, IMO. If the infrastructure is shit then fucking upgrade it you cunts. You'll be far more likely to have more customers if you laid down the new shit and stopped using the old dog shit. I'm not joking, we had two cables go out near us. One was worn which honestly I knew damn well it was and decided they'd only fix it when it officially broke, then a cable directly outside our house had RUST and some of the cables and split, by the way it was described it sounded like it was fucked for ages before they decided they'd replace it but the thing is they "checked" everything only a month before. Laughable.

I use cat 6 and its 20 feet i have run tests i only get speed drop when multiple people are draing my internet 

Here's the thing. I was told I could only get 35Mb in my area but as stated websites were saying 75Mb, how do I which ones the truth? I'd prefer faster Internet, especially with multiple people using it and then games wouldn't take hours upon hours to install, well at least it would be some what faster anyway and I'd only go with a company that's reasonably priced and not massively more expensive than what I pay already.

Who do you use if you can find the right deal with comcast or xfinity even tho people bitch about them i pay 108 a month for 75 mbs with unlimited monthly data other wise after a tb you can barley stream and it includes a subscription to streampix (basically netflix with no originals and more selection) and the deal is guaranteed for 2 yrs and ive nvr really had problems they also offer preferred packaging for downloads and gaming for like 10 bucks extra a month only caviat is if you have your own router/ modem it might not be on their supported devices list in which case you have to pay 10 bucks a month to rent theres and you can get 5$ off if you dont use paper bills only email. Really its all about where you live tho.

The answer is yes, you appear to be getting cucked. Your cable company is most likely lying. When calling into cable companies, the person on the other line is just going off whatever data they have, and I've found that oftentimes they are wrong about the actual speeds they provide. I'd recommend going into their nearest location and asking the physical person there, as they will have more information on that actual network that is installed in your area. Do you by chance use your cable company's modem/router? If so, I would recommend buying your own, as many companies low-key restrict your speeds on the modem itself. Every house I've ever lived in I've gotten higher than my rated speeds, so there is definitely a problem somewhere.

My native language is C++

4 hours ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

I currently get "35Mb" although I seem to only achieve 25Mb and rarely have I ever seen it go above. First can someone expain why I'm not achieving 35Mb? I'm using Cat5e cable which in my understanding is current the best and going higher is pointless, so to my knowledge I should be fine on that aspect. When I called them last I was told that I could only get up to "35Mb" in my area due to infrastructure, however websites claim that I can in fact get 75Mb in my area, so which is it? Feeding me bollocks so I get a lower package that costs more in the long run? I don't really understand how it all works, I'm just sick of waiting forever for games to download, watching things isn't so bad though, seem to be able to watch full 1080p with next to no buffering. Appreciate some knowledge in here.

Depends on the company. For Example, AT&T in my area can only do up to 6 Mbps, thats because DSL has distance limitations. While our Cable provider can do up to 150 Mbps in our given area. With DSL, the closer you are to the co, the faster speeds you can get. So if your just a bit too far away or if your phone line is shit then you will have a reduction in speed. With Cable internet, it really depends on the signal coming in to your modem. If you have some for of interference or if the signal just is not quite strong enough, it could cause slower speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

19 hours ago, tt2468 said:

The answer is yes, you appear to be getting cucked. Your cable company is most likely lying. When calling into cable companies, the person on the other line is just going off whatever data they have, and I've found that oftentimes they are wrong about the actual speeds they provide. I'd recommend going into their nearest location and asking the physical person there, as they will have more information on that actual network that is installed in your area. Do you by chance use your cable company's modem/router? If so, I would recommend buying your own, as many companies low-key restrict your speeds on the modem itself. Every house I've ever lived in I've gotten higher than my rated speeds, so there is definitely a problem somewhere.

I do, yes. I own my own but for some reason I kept having connection issues over the WIFI. I thought about buying a modem however I wasn't sure what to get since I know it would be better to run for Ethernet. I'll look into asking someone directly. Appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

I do, yes. I own my own but for some reason I kept having connection issues over the WIFI. I thought about buying a modem however I wasn't sure what to get since I know it would be better to run for Ethernet. I'll look into asking someone directly. Appreciate it.

Who is your ISP btw?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

BT, I'm British.

Hah! I read that as "BTW, I'm British." and I was like "that doesn't help us at all."

12 hours ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

BT, I'm British.

Ah well there's your problem. BT simply sucks ass, and they really don't give a flying hoot about you or your fellow customers.

My native language is C++