No HDD showing up in Utility!?

Let me back up a little bit here. I have a 500GB SSD in my late 2009 27" iMac. It worked fine for a year. Decided to sell it, so I wiped the machine by going into disk utility and deleting the drive + erasing all it's data. I clicked re-install OS, downloaded it, and at the end it gave me an error saying "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install." So I went to this tutorial where you restart, boot back into utility, and delete basically everything before reinstalling it.

Here is my issue: after having done this, no hard drive (in this case SSD) shows up, just the base OSX thing which is 2gb big. Please help!

On 11/30/2017 at 6:26 PM, sirbonneville said:

Let me back up a little bit here. I have a 500GB SSD in my late 2009 27" iMac. It worked fine for a year. Decided to sell it, so I wiped the machine by going into disk utility and deleting the drive + erasing all it's data. I clicked re-install OS, downloaded it, and at the end it gave me an error saying "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install." So I went to this tutorial where you restart, boot back into utility, and delete basically everything before reinstalling it.

Here is my issue: after having done this, no hard drive (in this case SSD) shows up, just the base OSX thing which is 2gb big. Please help!

My guess is that when it was partitioning there was an error. Try putting it in another machine and see if you can format it then reinstall another os. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I would recommend booting into recovery and typing the following command in terminal to see if you can find the drive.

diskutil list

import { signature } from "./signature";

signature.display({ cpu"Intel i9 9900k @ 3.56HZ",  gpu"ASUS GTX 1080",  ram"32GB CORSAIR DDR4", motherboard"ASUS Z390-E" });