£1 Billion Data Collection Lawsuit against Google

zramsey11

Primarily from Neowin, more from The Verge:

It is no surprise that Google is using collected information from its users for AdSense, but now they are facing a hefty class action lawsuit

"on behalf of over 5.4 million people in Britain who may have been unlawfully snooped on by Google" (Neowin). 

-------------------------------------------

Here's the gist of it:

• Originated from the "Google You Owe Us Campaign" (Neowin)
    • "[Google] bypassed default privacy settings on user's iPhones in order to extract user's data" (Neowin)
  • How it worked: Essentially, interacting with Google ads in safari allowed otherwise blocked third-party cookies to be installed (Via Neowin)
  • In 2012, Google payed $22.5 million fine for the same safari breach (Verge) 

"If the legal action is successful then affected users could receive up to £200 in compensation each; which would cost Google over £1 billion" (Neowin)

-------------------------------------------

A Google spokesperson attested,

"This is not new - we have defended similar cases before. We don't believe it has any merit and we will contest it"

Frank I don't really mind what Google is doing because it is a "fair" trade for all of their free products, but I can definitely see where these people are coming from. Privacy is a huge must for most people and I hope they get the justice they want. Although, we've seen Google settle for dimes on the dollar before and that could very well happen again; let's see how this one goes.

So in over 5 years Safari was never fixed to stop the vulnerability?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I'm guessing this will end in nothing 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

So in over 5 years Safari was never fixed to stop the vulnerability?

I did a little more research and it looks like there is an option in a Safari update, which is currently in Beta, that "will have a new tool for blocking third-party ad trackers, aggressively identifying and blocking any cookies used to track users across the web." Via The Verge

6 minutes ago, zramsey11 said:

I did a little more research and it looks like there is an option in a Safari update, which is currently in Beta, that "will have a new tool for blocking third-party ad trackers, aggressively identifying and blocking any cookies used to track users across the web." Via The Verge

Nope, don't trust em. Don't trust anybody.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

One thing that I don't understand about these types of lawsuits is where will that money go if the accusing party wins? It's saying that they represent 5.4 million people in Britain, but will they see the effects (ex. infrastructure repair), or even get a part of the money earned? 

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s
Disregard, answered in OP's post

4 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

One thing that I don't understand about these types of lawsuits is where will that money go if the accusing party wins? It's saying that they represent 5.4 million people in Britain, but will they see the effects (ex. infrastructure repair), or even get a part of the money earned? 

Well there is this,

30 minutes ago, zramsey11 said:

"If the legal action is successful then affected users could receive up to £200 in compensation each; which would cost Google over £1 billion" (Neowin)

Though I don't exactly know how they would get this money to the people affected.

The trial will last many many years and Google will end up settling for cents on the dollar, as usual.

Just now, zramsey11 said:

Well there is this,

Though I don't exactly know how they would get this money to the people affected.

Reading is hard...

Note to self: Read the whole post before commenting.

2 hours ago, zramsey11 said:

Well there is this,

In a class action, the people who are represented have to sign up to be a party to it.  So if they have 5.4 Million people signed up in the class action then they simply distribute the money to them.  If you are not signed up to the class action then you don't get anything.    The standing works in reverse to, if you fail and the class action has to pay fees then the cost of the fees are spread amongst everyone signed up.  EDIT: this includes legal fees.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 hours ago, W-L said:

@zramsey11 Please don't forget to include a quote related to the article at hand, as of currently it has been moved to General Discussion until updated. 

Fixed

11 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

So your data being sold in an undisclosed manner is fine to you as a trade off? Why?

Because Google, of course.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization