Safe temps for gaming?

deadpaww

I'm a gamer and often play demanding games for extended periods. I currently  have an i7 7700k and a 980ti, no OC for the cpu. I have a Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler, 3 vents, and 2 case fans. I'm worried about temperatures and my parts being heated to the point it does damage to their life span. 

When idle, my cpu ususally sits at 35-45, it jumps sometimes to 45 but mostly sits high 30's. When under load of gaming, my cpu usually reaches about 70-74. Those are under more cpu intense games like pubg, gta v.

When idle, my gpu sits at 45 mostly. When under load of gaming, heavier gaming (pubg, gta v) the temps get up close to 80 celcius. It's the gpu that worries me as 80 seems high.

Though I am also worried of the cpu temps, I know the i7 7700k is known to run hot so I expected it but it was expensive, obviously I don't want it damaged. Anyway, some insight on this would be great xD 

NOTE: My case isn't big, my wires are messy and there is dust but not a concerning amount I would say. I bought an air can though, going to clean what is in there off. So, be aware my case is a bit full. I also turn fans up in the 70% range when my gpu reaches 70 celcius.

Anything below 90 is generally safe. Get worried when you see high 80-90

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

for CPU temp, 80-85C is a good MAX temp range to have under absolute load, anything higher i would redo an overclock (if applied) or get better cooling.

For GPU, you shouldnt have any thermal throttling under 90C, i usually try to stay at 87C maximum or less at absolute load, so if your only around 80C your perfectly fine. 

The temps that your parts can get to before they start to damage is actually a good amount higher, these are just recommended safe temps to ensure no thermal throttle and longevity of your parts. Each persons opinion may differ by a few degrees so try and find the median of what people recommend and pick that, or just pick your own temperature target if that seems a bit too high. You can get cooler results by settings more agressive fan profiles on your GPU or running case fans at max to improve airflow at the cost of some more noise of course =P

No worried as long as you are under 85°C.

And if your CPU would be overheating, your PC would just crash to prevent any real dammage to your CPU.

I'm getting around 70°C average on my i5 8600k when gaming, but there are peaks of 82°C. That's still safe.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Tj Max minus 10C, to account for differences in monitoring softwares.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Both temps are fine. You can lower CPU by setting voltages to manual from BUOS. Try something like 1.15V.

What case and how are case fans placed?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Both temps are fine. You can lower CPU by setting voltages to manual from BUOS. Try something like 1.15V.

What case and how are case fans placed?

It's an ibuypower mid tower case. Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu fan, Gpu fans on the bottom, vent fan in the top back of the case, intake fan on the bottom front.

1 hour ago, deadpaww said:

It's an ibuypower mid tower case. Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu fan, Gpu fans on the bottom, vent fan in the top back of the case, intake fan on the bottom front.

Add another intake fan if possible. Should help with GPU temps a bit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Add another intake fan if possible. Should help with GPU temps a bit.

I'll look into it. Also, if I'm gaming with an average of 68-72 celcius for my cpu, does that reduce it's life span significantly? I was talking to my friend who was praising water cooling, saying how 70 is too high for my cpu, saying I need to get water cooling at those temps. I'm worried that running at these temps for extended periods will reduce by cpu life by a year or so, I want it to last as long as it can for the i7 7700k to still be relevant so I don't have to upgrade for a while but I will continue to play demanding games because, well...that's what I got it for.

9 hours ago, deadpaww said:

I'll look into it. Also, if I'm gaming with an average of 68-72 celcius for my cpu, does that reduce it's life span significantly? I was talking to my friend who was praising water cooling, saying how 70 is too high for my cpu, saying I need to get water cooling at those temps. I'm worried that running at these temps for extended periods will reduce by cpu life by a year or so, I want it to last as long as it can for the i7 7700k to still be relevant so I don't have to upgrade for a while but I will continue to play demanding games because, well...that's what I got it for.

No and no. It's true that running CPU at high temps and voltages will reduce lifespan, from 15 years to 10 years maybe. And temps then would be constant over 90C.

You also don't need water cooling. 7700K is known to be hot, when run with stock voltages, tiny coolers and overclocking. You could get better temps by getting bigger cooler and lowering current voltages. But your current temps are perfectly normal for 212.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As long there is no flames coming out of the rig, I think your good.

Praise Gaben