What affects thermals in a pc case

LiCoHi

If I have a PC with all the highest end components and a case with limited front intake ,would the termals be higher than a pc with budget parts? if there is a difference, how big is it? I plan on getting an MSI GTX 1060 3gt (non OC),core i5 7500 cooled by a Hyper tx3 evo an evga w1 500w psu and I would like the Cooler master Masterbox 3.1 lite but I have heard people having thermal issues do to bad front intake

Just now, LiCoHi said:

If I have a PC with all the highest end components and a case with limited front intake ,would the termals be higher than a pc with budget parts? if there is a difference, how big is it?

Depends on how hot the components run at and if the budget case has better airflow than the higher end one.

If at first you don't succeed...

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: Intel i5 6600k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x4gb)

GPU:

Storage: Seagate 500GB

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

It's not that simple.

You can easily get a high-end rig where everything stays really cool. But you can also get a high-end rig that overheats like crazy and performs like a turd.

Basically everything matters and has an impact on temperature and performance in some way.

However it's not difficult to figure out/guess how good or bad thermals will be, if we know which parts will be used.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The price of a GPU, CPU or whatever does not dedicate its thermal capacity. While usually the higher the power of a product, the more electricity it uses and the hotter it gets, if you compare two products that are not in the same product stack: it's not a fair comparison anymore

(e.g. if you compare a GTX 1080 Ti with a GTX 1050, the 1080 Ti will run hotter because they both use the Pascal architecture, the 1080 Ti is just much more powerful and needs more electricity).

Was this the sort of answer you were looking for? Or are you asking what is bad for airflow in a PC case?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, samcool55 said:

It's not that simple.

You can easily get a high-end rig where everything stays really cool. But you can also get a high-end rig that overheats like crazy and performs like a turd.

Basically everything matters and has an impact on temperature and performance in some way.

However it's not difficult to figure out/guess how good or bad thermals will be, if we know which parts will be used.

Yup we need to know the parts of each build and then it is possible to estimate the temps.

If at first you don't succeed...

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: Intel i5 6600k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x4gb)

GPU:

Storage: Seagate 500GB

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Budget it but.... Limited air intake will not help temps. If you have the budget for $$$$$ parts, don't get a $$ case...

16 hours ago, LiCoHi said:

If I have a PC with all the highest end components and a case with limited front intake ,would the termals be higher than a pc with budget parts? if there is a difference, how big is it? I plan on getting an MSI GTX 1060 3gt (non OC),core i5 7500 cooled by a Hyper tx3 evo an evga w1 500w psu and I would like the Cooler master Masterbox 3.1 lite but I have heard people having thermal issues do to bad front intake

I would generalize this into the triangle of case thermals (I'm making this up on the spot so bear with me)

A: Component heat output. Something like the 1800X or 7700K OC'd and GTX1080ti or RX64 will ahve significantly higher thermal heat dissipation requirements than a 10603gb/RX570 and a R51600/ i5 7500.

B: Fan count and orientation. Having only one fan as intake usually isn't enough to keep an entire PC cool, especially when you start putting in GPU's. Usually you either want More intake fans than exhaust, or have the intake fans spin faster than the exhaust ones. Three fans (2 intake and one exhaust) has been shown to be the most optimal as shown in this LTT video. The exception to this is usually OEM mainstream consumer computers because they only surf the web and therefore can use lower power and lower heat output CPU's with dedicated iGPU's

C: Case designed air flow. If your case doenst allow your fans to breathe, it doesnt matter how many fans you have or how fast they spin. Cases like the Meshify C, Silverstone RL06, and Enthoo Pro M have mesh front panels and top panels to allow air to flow freely through the case uninhibited. Cases like the In Win 805, Enthoo Evolv ATX, Cooler Master H500P, and Antec P9 (especialy this one) have either very restrictive or absolutely no paths for air to flow, and therefore in a pure temperature scenario should be avoided. 

Below are some CPU and GPU torture test scenarios from gamers nexus using this hardware:

Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (OC Mode) MSI $640
CPU Intel i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz GamersNexus   $300
CPU Cooler MSI Core Frozr L MSI TBD
Motherboard   MSI Z170A Gaming M7 MSI $180
Memory Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200MHz   Corsair $200
SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB Samsung N/A
PSU Corsair RM650x Corsair $100
Spoiler

nzxt h700i cpu all

nzxt h700i gpu all

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25