Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssal Radon

Noctua NH-D15 idea and opinions.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I am considering upgrading my heatsink in the near future. I want to stay with air cooling, the Noctua NH-D15 is looking like a good contender from my NH-U14S I have at the moment. Now is there a way to mount three NF-AF15's onto the heatsink? Would it really improve my 140W CPU's thermals? Or hold on and upgrade when I do a platform upgrade? 

Case: Fractal Define R6 USB-C Tempered Glass CPU: i7 5930K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified RAM: 48GB DDR4 2666MHz G.Skill GPU: MSi GTX 980 Ti Lightning Edition PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum Drives: 500GB SSD (2x), 960GB SSD, 120GB SSD, 2TB (2x) HDD, 4TB HDD, & 500GB HDD Displays: Acer Predator 27" XB271HU 165Hz G-Sync (1440p) & 2x Dell P2715Q 27" (2160p) 

You can use the fan on your NH-U14S on the NH-D15, AFAIK the mounting system is the same so you can pretty easily triple fan it.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I think it comes with 3 sets of brackets to mount fans so apart from a third fan it should come with everything you need.

Would it do much? Not really. It already has 2 very good fans.

Anyway, you already have an NH-U14S, which is a really good cooler, performance differences are quite small so imo it's not worth upgrading.

If you want to go basically all the way to the top of air cooling, go ahead, it will give you an extra few degrees. But it's so expensive, especially with what you already have it's really not worth the money.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Are you hitting OC limits with U14S or why are you upgrading?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Are you hitting OC limits with U14S or why are you upgrading?

To drop my CPU temps. 

Case: Fractal Define R6 USB-C Tempered Glass CPU: i7 5930K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified RAM: 48GB DDR4 2666MHz G.Skill GPU: MSi GTX 980 Ti Lightning Edition PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum Drives: 500GB SSD (2x), 960GB SSD, 120GB SSD, 2TB (2x) HDD, 4TB HDD, & 500GB HDD Displays: Acer Predator 27" XB271HU 165Hz G-Sync (1440p) & 2x Dell P2715Q 27" (2160p) 

8 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

To drop my CPU temps. 

What cpu do you have and what are you current temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

To drop my CPU temps. 

Drops will be so little that I don't think it's worth the change. It will be cheaper to add another fan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cpu do you have and what are you current temps?

i7 5930K @ 3.5Ghz and temps while gaming hovers between lower 40's and upper 50's Celsius. 

15 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Drops will be so little that I don't think it's worth the change. It will be cheaper to add another fan.

I already have two fans on my heatsink. I also have three 230mm fans in my case one front, side, and top. Two 140mm fans one rear and bottom in front of PSU. I might consider finding a better case with better air flow. Idk, lol. 

1 minute ago, Abyssal Radon said:

i7 5930K @ 3.5Ghz and temps while gaming hovers between lower 40's and upper 50's Celsius. 

I already have two fans on my heatsink. I also have three 230mm fans in my case one front, side, and top. Two 140mm fans one rear and bottom in front of PSU. I might consider finding a better case with better air flow. Idk, lol. 

Up to you. But drops will be minimal. Your temps are always very good.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, Abyssal Radon said:

You're fine up to 80-90c at load and you're going to run into diminishing returns since your temps are already excellent. 

Why did you want lower temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@Abyssal Radon 

Given that the NHU-14s is a single tower moving to a NHD-15 which is dual tower you should see a decrease in temps, Better airflow would help immensely too, assuming the airflow is sub-optimal in the first place. BTW do you have the Thor with the side intake option? 

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You're fine up to 80-90c at load and you're going to run into diminishing returns since your temps are already excellent. 

Why did you want lower temps?

I want lower temps to ease my mind. Also, so the CPU stays cooler overall. 

18 minutes ago, Cyborgsmith said:

@Abyssal Radon 

Given that the NHU-14s is a single tower moving to a NHD-15 which is dual tower you should see a decrease in temps, Better airflow would help immensely too, assuming the airflow is sub-optimal in the first place. BTW do you have the Thor with the side intake option? 

I do.