We Built a FRICKIN Laser Cutter - HOLY $H!T

Much cutter.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

10 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

@AlexTheGreatish

do you think this performs better than a comparable CNC config like the Shapeoko ones?

I consider the use case a bit different so they aren't really comparable.  This would be waaaaay faster to cut things like Acrylic, and also is able to engrave basically anything, but can't do anything in 3D

@AlexTheGreatish

I know LMG already does merch but I'd like to see you do a limited (2-3 weeks) run of plaques made of Acrylic that would have 'your name' and 'thanks for being part of the LTT community' you could print the LTT logo onto it and have Linus sign them. People could place orders through the forum and you could charge like $10-$20 for it plus worldwide shipping costs if shipping to a different country. Does anyone think this would be a good idea? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

7 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

@AlexTheGreatish

I know LMG already does merch but I'd like to see you do a limited (2-3 weeks) run of plaques made of Acrylic that would have 'your name' and 'thanks for being part of the LTT community' you could print the LTT logo onto it and have Linus sign them. People could place orders through the forum and you could charge like $10-$20 for it plus worldwide shipping costs if shipping to a different country. Does anyone think this would be a good idea? 

Cool idea yes, but not exactly practical.  We'd have to make a vector and perform the setup for every single one manually, plus Acrylic is damn expensive.  We wouldn't have the manpower to make more than like 5 and the going rate of those would be very, very high

1 minute ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Cool idea yes, but not exactly practical.  We'd have to make a vector and perform the setup for every single one manually, plus Acrylic is damn expensive.  We wouldn't have the manpower to make more than like 5 and the going rate of those would be very, very high

Ah I see 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

1 minute ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Make them more expensive and use stage parts from the old office you tore down :P 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

9 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Ah I see 

7 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Make them more expensive and use stage parts from the old office you tore down :P 

Really engraving GPU back plates would probably be the coolest thing.  Actually, now I want to do that.  Brb.

5 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Really engraving GPU back plates would probably be the coolest thing.  Actually, now I want to do that.  Brb.

That would require lots of shipping. I'm from the UK so if I wanted to send my GPU back plate for engraving I'd have to pay 2 shipping charges.

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

That would require lots of shipping. I'm from the UK so if I wanted to send my GPU back plate for engraving I'd have to pay 2 shipping charges, there and back. 

I might try it out this weekend, if it comes out as cool as it is in my mind I think the shipping charge would be worth it

6 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

That's the first thing I'd do if I had a lasercutter!

... Wait my cheap ass card doesn't even have a backplate ... :( 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

You kept pronouncing laser wrong! It should be "La-ser" with airquotes!

@AlexTheGreatish 

Another problem with sending our GPU back plates for engraving is that in transit the back plate could go missing, if something like that happened to me I'd be pretty peeved. 

زندگی از چراغ

So what software does it come with?  Just bought a used laser engraver for my sign shop, curious about software for it.

I wonder if you can build/cut the best smallest custom water loop PC case? 

One oldy but goldy coming right this way, DUCK!

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

I'd like to see a full caparison between this DIY kit and the glowforge... 

My username is both misspelled and redundant. Don't take anything I say seriously as I am a moron.     

CPU: Intel i7 4790k GPU: GTX 970 MSI RAM: 16gb of DDR3 hotness Boot Drive: 240gb m.2 samsung 850 evo Storage Drives: 8tb ironwolf, 4tb WD Monitors: 3x HP Elite Displays

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

actually I take that link back (printing lots of cross sections of the pillars might be a bit impractical, LOL.) this one seems more doable

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-s4-mini-3d-printed.2048/page-2#post-64516

qxpsJAOl.jpg

I really really dig this.  I don't quite understand how it works but it looks sick.

• 3 months later...

Uhm... Are you aware you significantly decreased the lifespan of your dielectric mirrors by using the "tape" method instead of a proper calibration by using several diaphragms and IR-detector-cards?

31 minutes ago, trinitaet said:

Uhm... Are you aware you significantly decreased the lifespan of your dielectric mirrors by using the "tape" method instead of a proper calibration by using several diaphragms and IR-detector-cards?

they should hire you as a scientific consultant lol

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

1 hour ago, trinitaet said:

The tape wasn't on the actual mirrors if that's what you mean.