PREMIER PHOTOSHOP DAVINCI RESOLVE, ETC

Go to solution Solved by vanished,
4 minutes ago, bigjohnthescot said:

ryan...doh!

oh, it wasn't finished xD

alright, well, Puget systems has done a bunch of testing on what setups work best for certain programs, figuring out what hardware these applications actually use and thus what you should buy to optimize for them.  If you look here, it explains what is good for Premiere Pro:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-143

Q: Does having more CPU cores improve Premiere Pro performance? Should I get a dual Xeon system?

A: Premiere Pro does a decent job at utilizing multiple CPU cores, but there is a steep drop in performance gain after around 8-10 CPU cores. In the past, using a dual Xeon workstation with multiple CPUs made sense as that was the only way to get more than a handful of CPU cores but today you can hit near maximum performance in Premiere Pro with just a single 10-core Intel CPU. In fact, due to the extra overhead associated with having multiple physical CPUs, a dual Xeon system will be slow in most cases than even a cheaper single CPU workstation. You can read more about this in our Should you use a Dual Xeon for Premiere Pro? article.

So the short version is, yes, upgrading to a better CPU would help, but you don't need to spend $2000

after reaching the conclusion that I may have bought an underpowered CPU for my new machine (I DO have a 1080 GPU) I have a 7740x and was wondering #1 should I drop the 2grand I plan on dropping on an i9 or drop it on the new zen and threadripper as I plan on using this rig for editing and heavy gaming, also will the OC to 5.0 on the 7740 I have to be enough for now, as I am doing more gaming and streaming than editing right now, I am a blue fanboy just for the reason that I am old enough to remember when AMD cpu,s were melting boards. but it seems that they aren't running hot plus water cooling so I guess its a non issue

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

ryan...doh!

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

4 minutes ago, bigjohnthescot said:

ryan...doh!

oh, it wasn't finished xD

alright, well, Puget systems has done a bunch of testing on what setups work best for certain programs, figuring out what hardware these applications actually use and thus what you should buy to optimize for them.  If you look here, it explains what is good for Premiere Pro:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-143

Q: Does having more CPU cores improve Premiere Pro performance? Should I get a dual Xeon system?

A: Premiere Pro does a decent job at utilizing multiple CPU cores, but there is a steep drop in performance gain after around 8-10 CPU cores. In the past, using a dual Xeon workstation with multiple CPUs made sense as that was the only way to get more than a handful of CPU cores but today you can hit near maximum performance in Premiere Pro with just a single 10-core Intel CPU. In fact, due to the extra overhead associated with having multiple physical CPUs, a dual Xeon system will be slow in most cases than even a cheaper single CPU workstation. You can read more about this in our Should you use a Dual Xeon for Premiere Pro? article.

So the short version is, yes, upgrading to a better CPU would help, but you don't need to spend $2000

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

so you think a 7820 would work?

5 minutes ago, bigjohnthescot said:

so you think a 7820 would work?

That's what they put in both their pre-configured workstations as a baseline so that should do nicely.  Definitely more powerful than a 7740x :P  It's literally just double the CPU so if you overclock it to compensate for lower clock speeds you should be able to see that much performance difference.

As you can see here it's a nice bump up over the 6 core, but going beyond that (which is very expensive) you don't really get any significant gains

pic_disp.php?id=43480&width=705

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

OK, thanks that were my original line of thinking but then watched some videos and some benchmarks and was beginning to think the 7820 was also a bit underpowered. thanks for the advice that will save me more money for RGB and hardline 9_9

2 minutes ago, bigjohnthescot said:

OK, thanks that were my original line of thinking but then watched some videos and some benchmarks and was beginning to think the 7820 was also a bit underpowered. thanks for the advice that will save me more money for RGB and hardline 9_9

Sounds good.  Also, as additional peace of mind, I checked the recommendations for DaVinci Resolve as well and they also have the 7820x in there.  The main difference is if you have the full paid version, you can (and apparently should) use 2 or even 3 GPUs

And finally when it comes to Photoshop, the 7740x would be sufficient in that case but the 7820x isn't excessive and you need it for other things anyway so I wouldn't worry.

yeah resolve is a hungry beast but I just use the free version and I have a few months before I really need to upgrade thanks again for the info guess i should have checked myself :P