Pc fan off and on

Merp83

when i dont do any big task or open any apps on my pc for 5 minutes the fans ramp down a lot and my computer is quiet. But when i open an app again they go up. That is fine. But it turns off the fans now after like a minute but when i click and app and its on this slow setting it is slower to open things and it has to ramp up quickly again. It is really annoying. Kinda hard to explainn

subscribe to pewdiepie

I think that your PC has some kind of silence mode where it turns of fans and perhaps downclocks the CPU when it is not under load. With no information on what PC you are using I can't confirm this suspicion

hmm

Just now, stefanDB said:

I think that your PC has some kind of silence mode where it turns of fans and perhaps downclocks the CPU when it is not under load. With no information on what PC you are using I can't confirm this suspicion

ryzen 5 1600 clocked @ 3.6 - gigabyte ab350m gaming f5 bios - 16gb corsair 2666 2x8 - zotac mini gtx 1060 6gb hopefully enough

subscribe to pewdiepie

I'm not sure if this is what I'm actually reading, but fan speed has nothing to do with some slow mode of a computer that doesn't exist, or slowing down how fast things load. As long as components are not thermal throttling and downclocking, performance is the same. If the CPU has been using low power for a while, a little burst of activity is not going to immediately overheat it. Unless the fan control is broken, it will ramp up sufficiently fast to prevent that.

If something is loading slowly while you're hearing some ramp-up noise, you're probably trying to access something on a hard drive that's spun down, where it has to spin back up first.

If it's not that, you can set the fan speed yourself to max always (or sufficiently high) and see for yourself that it doesn't impact the loading.

11 minutes ago, loculus said:

I'm not sure if this is what I'm actually reading, but fan speed has nothing to do with some slow mode of a computer that doesn't exist, or slowing down how fast things load. As long as components are not thermal throttling and downclocking, performance is the same. If the CPU has been using low power for a while, a little burst of activity is not going to immediately overheat it. Unless the fan control is broken, it will ramp up sufficiently fast to prevent that.

If something is loading slowly while you're hearing some ramp-up noise, you're probably trying to access something on a hard drive that's spun down, where it has to spin back up first.

If it's not that, you can set the fan speed yourself to max always (or sufficiently high) and see for yourself that it doesn't impact the loading.

i think my pcgoes on semi sleep and only allows simple activities. when i click a new app it ramps  up and takes a second or two longer to change state and then open which is kinda annoying

subscribe to pewdiepie

17 hours ago, Merp83 said:

i think my pcgoes on semi sleep and only allows simple activities. when i click a new app it ramps  up and takes a second or two longer to change state and then open which is kinda annoying

You can adjust fan settings either from BIOS or with Gigabytes SIV software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv