Microsoft boasts 50% faster Hard Drive in Xbox One X versus Standard Xbox One

AlTech

Microsoft is boasting a 50% faster Hard Drive in Xbox One X versus the Standard Xbox One.

And they're not entirely wong either.

Xbox One X, Microsoft's latest video games console, has been seemingly off to a strong start across the globe. Promising the hardware to drive a premium gaming experience, 4K resolution, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and improved framerates are all among the console's capabilities, entering the market as the most powerful console to date.

While the Xbox One X's advances are almost exclusively visual, the console has also been marketed to deliver shorter loading times. Microsoft attributes these gains to an improved storage setup under the hood, boasting an "up to 50 percent" increase in hard disk drive (HDD) bandwidth over the standard Xbox One X. While the 1TB drive at 5,400 revolutions-per-minute (RPM) isn't dissimilar from those in previous Xbox One consoles, various enhancements ensure the device fully leverages the drive's speed. Combined with significant leaps in CPU and GPU capabilities, improved loading times are a welcome by-product of this hardware leap

407df1f5-023c-434b-b44c-6345b7251911.png

42df4a4e-3d13-4de4-8288-c65d6df83ec9.png

12995d2b-2768-4276-9ab2-d6aa7a5e99e3.png

So yeah, the biggest gains were in GTA V which has not been optimized for Xbox One X at all from my understanding.

However, it's not all good news. Backwards compatibility titles take longer to load apparently although this likely isn't the fault of the HDD but rather the emulation magic the CPU is using.

4bdcd174-d2c6-40a8-943f-c99d16a7212a.png

So yeah, cool stuff. One of the most important changes between the Standard One and the X is the move to Sata 6Gbit/s  cos some people swap out the HDD for SSDs.

Source:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-x-loading-times

Notice: if you're reading this 2 weeks in the future, the images might appear broken.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Really sad they couldn't spring for a 7200RPM drive in the X model for speeds probably 100% faster but oh well I wasn't planning on buying one anyways.

37 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So yeah, cool stuff. One of the most important changes between the Standard One and the X is the move to Sata 6Gbit/s  cos some people swap out the HDD for SSDs.

Jesus, they were using SATA 2? I know the drives didn't need the throughput but how was SATA3 not just cheaper by the time the original XBONE came out...

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Does it still run Destiny 2 at 30fps with them power on the x?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

29 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Now that's good news for console people. Still wouldn't buy a console, unless they add keyboard and mouse support

More like Microsoft was nerfing the original Xbox One on purpose so they had what to improve on all these newer revisions.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Does it still run Destiny 2 at 30fps with them power on the x?

16 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Jesus, they were using SATA 2? I know the drives didn't need the throughput but how was SATA3 not just cheaper by the time the original XBONE came out...

they were just probably engineered a long time ago, before the release date for the console

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

On phone with data plan cant really buffer that video.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

They really should implement a flash-based cache system. I'm guessing the HDD has 64-256 MB cache but some gigabytes of cache would really help overall performance. Just 8 or 16 GB would do wonders.

3 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

On phone with data plan cant really buffer that video.

short answer, 30fps. Look at it later for more information ^_^

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

they were just probably engineered a long time ago, before the release date for the console

SATA 3 was finalized (officially that is) in early 2009. I refuse to believe it wasn't anything but a cost-cutting measure. Arguably it doesn't make a difference for anyone but those who replace the drive. I'm not sure the included drive can saturate SATA 2 even.

That's called using a 7200RPM HDD as opposed to a slow 5400RPM HDD.

FFS, missed the part where its still a slow 5400RPM HDD. Still haven't seen a 5400RPM 2.5" HDD that matches the speed of the 2010 7200RPM 500GB SATA II HDD from my old laptop.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

SATA 3 was finalized (officially that is) in early 2009. I refuse to believe it wasn't anything but a cost-cutting measure. Arguably it doesn't make a difference for anyone but those who replace the drive. I'm not sure the included drive can saturate SATA 2 even.

my 2011 laptop has a sata 3 port. I'm not defending MS, just saying maybe they already had it planned before 2009, i have no idea.

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

my 2011 laptop has a sata 3 port. I'm not defending MS, just saying maybe they already had it planned before 2009, i have no idea.

The chipset though is based around a Bulldozer derived APU, and those came out with SATA3 in 2011/2012.

PMSL

16 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The chipset though is based around a Bulldozer derived APU, and those came out with SATA3 in 2011/2012.

Oh no it isn't. It's a cat-core or more specifically Jaguar. It's nothing like Bulldozer.

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

The xbox SoC isn't based on bulldozer in any way . It's based on jaguar , which was derived for the bobcat core. It's a completely different core , meant to compete with atom in the low power sector. It doesn't share bulldozer's CMT , and was actually develloped in tandem parralel to the BD core , becasue that core wouldn't be able to run at a low power.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Nice. Even more reason to step up to an Xbox One X. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Wasn't it basic knowledge that faster CPU will increase storage IO speeds?

12 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Wasn't it basic knowledge that faster CPU will increase storage IO speeds?

only if there isn't any other bottleneck in the I/O subsystem . In this case ,  it's the drive . No matter how fast a cpu you have , nothing can make a hard drive perform like an SSD.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

only if there isn't any other bottleneck in the I/O subsystem . In this case ,  it's the drive . No matter how fast a cpu you have , nothing can make a hard drive perform like an SSD.

No, and it still doesn't. But even HDDs can be bottlenecked by current gen CPUs.

7 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

The xbox SoC isn't based on bulldozer in any way . It's based on jaguar , which was derived for the bobcat core. It's a completely different core , meant to compete with atom in the low power sector. It doesn't share bulldozer's CMT , and was actually develloped in tandem parralel to the BD core , becasue that core wouldn't be able to run at a low power.

Its still similar to CMT (2x ALU, 1x FPU per module for a total of 4 modules) but actually a bit worse. Bobcat itself was still produced since 2011 (Jaguar is from 2013). And its still shit.

Edit: BTW explain how Trinity and Richland manages to run at low power in thin laptops.

PMSL

6 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its still similar to CMT (2x ALU, 1x FPU per module for a total of 4 modules) but actually a bit worse. Bobcat itself was still produced since 2011 (Jaguar is from 2013). And its still shit.

Jaguar core doesn't use anything similar to CMT.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Jaguar core doesn't use anything similar to CMT.

2x ALU. 1x FPU (the part that is used most in games)-the difference is the lack of resource sharing.

PMSL