Microsoft is bringing Tabs to every Windows 10 App.

wyattzx
14 hours ago, NonaHexa said:

Source: The Verge

It looks like Tabs are going to be integrated into "every Windows 10 app," according to The Verge. While the above video only demonstrates its use in Microsoft Office, Microsoft is also bringing the feature to Explorer. It looks to be an integration of Edge into the current app, which for better or worse will allow users to access the web-- or even local storage-- more quickly than they otherwise might have. What concerns me however, is how they're implementing it. From the above demonstration, it looks to be more or less an instance of Edge baked into the app. You more than likely won't be able to change it for a different browser, and I wonder how this will look in the Explorer frame, for one?

Anyways, what do you guys think?

It's just Edge UI inspired.

13 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I am not a fan being honest, I like separated windows for each running software and I hope you will have the option to keep things as is.

You will.

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Seems cool. Hopefully it will work for all programs and not just UWP.

Tabs in explorer would be great, but I am worried they will fuck it up somehow.

It will. The MS Office is not UWP so yes, both will be supported.

As for tabs for File Explorer it will eventually come integrated, hopefully made well yeah. Also I really hope they make Dark theme for it as well, it's really much needed.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I guess I will use this for like some form of hybrid grouping.

Like having couple of programs in Sets and certain others separated with different window size and placements on monitors. Hmm we'll see.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

They should just copy the way macOS handles this and everything would be fine.

Now i want tabs on my tabs pls.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

15 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I hope you will have the option to keep things as is.

I believe I read either in that article in another that this is still an option.

14 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Windows 10 marketing team please leave.

-snip-

your avatar has never been more accurate.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Speaking of Ctrl/Alt tabbing, I wonder if they will be playing around with the behavior of them when tabs is in play. Imagine if an app already uses ctrl + tab and this new feature uses it to change... tabs, or if alt tabbing will first go through the tabs in the window, etc.

18 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I am not a fan being honest, I like separated windows for each running software and I hope you will have the option to keep things as is.

For the most part I agree, although there are instances where having tabs is really useful. Like ideally there will be tabs but you can determine whether you want to open a tab or a new instance of whatever program your using.

For those of you wondering, Windows Central says this will be expanded to Win32 as well.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-sets-announcement

At first, the Sets feature will be limited to just UWP-based apps, and will later expand to include Win32 programs, including apps like File Explorer and Microsoft Office in early 2018. For Microsoft Office, Windows Insiders will also need to be enrolled in the Office Insider program to participate.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

For those of you wondering, Windows Central says this will be expanded to Win32 as well.

Nice, and it seems like you will be able to toggle it on/off on a per app basis too.

Maybe I can use this once win32 support comes (If it doesn't require an API at least) to force resize apps that don't support it ? (Change tab, resize window, return, profit)

2 hours ago, Subtle Corruption said:

Now i want tabs on my tabs pls.

I suppose that would happen if you used Edge or literally any other browser that already has internal tabs.  That would stay as is, but would be wrapped in another layer of tabs so each windows would be its own.

Like this I guess (excuse the bad photoshop but it is good enough to get my point across I think xD)

setspp.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 minutes ago, Daring said:

Do developers have to update their Win32 apps to take advantage of Sets? 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I'm huge for proficiency and this will be a wonderful feature to have. :D 

Cant wait.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I suppose that would happen if you used Edge or literally any other browser that already has internal tabs.  That would stay as is, but would be wrapped in another layer of tabs so each windows would be its own.

Like this I guess (excuse the bad photoshop but it is good enough to get my point across I think xD)

setspp.jpg

I wonder if they will try to create an API so that the internal tabs could work as tabs tabs. (And if so, will it end up as a nightmare for devs to support it?)

Just now, tjcater said:

I wonder if they will try to create an API so that the internal tabs could work as tabs tabs. (And if so, will it end up as a nightmare for devs to support it?)

tbh, part of me thinks that will have to happen because this ^ looks totally silly, but then, part of me thinks this will actually happen as shown, so idk.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I use tabbed finder windows on my Mac and I love it. It’s a lot cleaner and easier to manage than multiple windows open. For example, I don’t have to close ten windows individually. Also easier to drag files from one folder to the other without the need to switch between them. 

20 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Is there a way to break tabs away into a new window?

Regardless, DUH MS WHAT TOOK YOU THIS LONG

Most likely it is a memory thing,  I can see having multiple instances of one program open starting to chew through ram slowing or making the whole thing unstable.

20 hours ago, LAwLz said:

but I am worried they will fuck it up somehow.

I can see it being resource Hungry. Too many tabs open and you start to run out of ram sending the page file off it's tits and causing programs to stop responding.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 29/11/2017 at 3:59 AM, NonaHexa said:

It looks like Tabs are going to be integrated into "every Windows 10 app," according to The Verge. While the above video only demonstrates its use in Microsoft Office, Microsoft is also bringing the feature to Explorer. It looks to be an integration of Edge into the current app, which for better or worse will allow users to access the web-- or even local storage-- more quickly than they otherwise might have.

Probably available to all apps but requires dev implementation to support it. Edge isnt bad, it just needs more extensions now. I actually like it better then chrome nowadays.(again, except for extensions)

23 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

I still dont understand why they still didnt realized that UWP is dead. They failed 4 times already in a row(counting all versions of WP as one)...

How is it dead?

2 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

How is it dead?

Only a very small minority uses it in both camp(dev/user)...

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Only a very small minority uses it in both camp(dev/user)...

based on?

12 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

based on?

How the net is full of guides how to remove that junk from win10? Plus there is no statistics on the subject which implies that its usage is so insignificant that its down in the statistocal error zone....

Edited by jagdtigger

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

How the net is full of guides how to remove that junk from win10? Plus there is no statistics on the subject which implies that its usage is so insignificant that its down in the statistocal error zone....

So based on shit you pulled out of your ass? I could find stats that says it's improving. I'm not going to pretend it's going to replace steam tomorrow or ever but to use the examples you stated as proof that it's dying is silly.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/12/15626880/microsoft-windows-store-10-s-arm-desktop-future-apps-software-build-2017

The implementation of Itunes, Spotify and other big apps from big corporations is sign that things are going well.