Microsoft is bringing Tabs to every Windows 10 App.

wyattzx
1 hour ago, RagnarokDel said:

So based on shit you pulled out of your ass? I could find stats that says it's improving. I'm not going to pretend it's going to replace steam tomorrow or ever but to use the examples you stated as proof that it's dying is silly.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/12/15626880/microsoft-windows-store-10-s-arm-desktop-future-apps-software-build-2017

The implementation of Itunes, Spotify and other big apps from big corporations is sign that things are going well.

It must be nice dreaming while fully awake.

For people worrying about it, even if they don't support Win32 apps though, there will be other options :)

2017-11-30.thumb.png.fd8b963599ba787d67ac71b1f869b116.png

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

For people worrying about it, even if they don't support Win32 apps though, there will be other options :)

2017-11-30.thumb.png.fd8b963599ba787d67ac71b1f869b116.png

Are any of those open source? (I might feel the need to hack together a different solution from its carcass for whatever reason :P)

Just now, tjcater said:

Are any of those open source? (I might feel the need to hack together a different solution from its carcass for whatever reason :P)

I don't know of an open source one.

With Linux I use Sway (i3 for Wayland), which is an open source desktop environment but probably isn't what you're looking for.

With Windows, I'm using Groupy from Stardock, but it's proprietary and paid. It's also currently in a beta state and it shows. It works fine, but apps sometimes flicker strangely if they have Window decorations disabled (like Chrome and Firefox), and some programs like Steam don't use the normal system Window APIs and so can't be used with it.

There's not really open source options for a lot of the stuff Stardock offers. Wonder if it's because they need signed binaries to modify some of the stuff they mess with.

13 hours ago, abazigal said:

I use tabbed finder windows on my Mac and I love it. It’s a lot cleaner and easier to manage than multiple windows open. For example, I don’t have to close ten windows individually. Also easier to drag files from one folder to the other without the need to switch between them. 

Just because of how Finder and the mac interface in general works, I can see that being a significant improvement to the usability, but tbh I've never felt the need for it on Windows

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

So based on shit you pulled out of your ass? I could find stats that says it's improving. I'm not going to pretend it's going to replace steam tomorrow or ever but to use the examples you stated as proof that it's dying is silly.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/12/15626880/microsoft-windows-store-10-s-arm-desktop-future-apps-software-build-2017

The implementation of Itunes, Spotify and other big apps from big corporations is sign that things are going well.

Based on how no-one cared for them in 8, 8.1, and in all versions of WP, and now in win10... 9_9 And if it were going that well MS would have used it as marketing material, they not even post numbers about it even though they have them, 2 apps not gonna change anything. Use your head if you want to survive in this world ;) .

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Just because of how Finder and the mac interface in general works, I can see that being a significant improvement to the usability, but tbh I've never felt the need for it on Windows

Well, I know I certainly miss it when using my work-issued windows laptop. Having to deal with multiple overlapping windows that I have to close manually one by one? No thanks. 

1 minute ago, abazigal said:

Well, I know I certainly miss it when using my work-issued windows laptop. Having to deal with multiple overlapping windows that I have to close manually one by one? No thanks. 

I've never found it much of an issue.  For a lot of things, cut/copy and paste are enough and lets you work in just one window, but if you need more, the built in snapping in Windows 7 and up let you put 2 side by side or, in the case of win 10, 4 with one in each corner of the screen.  tbh, lots of overlapping windows is more of an issue I'd have on Mac OS :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 11/29/2017 at 2:59 AM, NonaHexa said:

It looks to be an integration of Edge into the current app, which for better or worse will allow users to access the web-- or even local storage-- more quickly than they otherwise might have. What concerns me however, is how they're implementing it. From the above demonstration, it looks to be more or less an instance of Edge baked into the app.

Did MS not learn from their mistake of how deeply integrated IE was into previous versions of Windows?  Even today they still haven't been able to fully remove it, now they want to add yet another layer of browser baked into Windows?  Recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

tab on dem haters

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Did MS not learn from their mistake of how deeply integrated IE was into previous versions of Windows?  Even today they still haven't been able to fully remove it, now they want to add yet another layer of browser baked into Windows?  Recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

IE is gone from explorer and windows shell since Vista. All you have left it is dedicate IE 11 today, for company sites, and IE ActiveX which Win32 programs can include for a read to use, auto updated and managed by Microsoft instead of themselves for security, web rendering tech and features. Both can't be removed. If you do, many Win32 programs will not work anymore, and companies that have yet to decide their systems using dedicated app, or modernized the site to use modern HTML, with modern JS and some PHP/Perl/Ruby or other language backend won't be pleased, and never update Windows which is worse.

Edge can be integrated with UWP app. Your Android and/or iOS device offers this, and like them, ou are forced to use that if you want the app to be in the Store, or in the case of Windows and Android, you can use the base technology and have a custom engines on top for some things.

On 11/29/2017 at 8:46 AM, potoooooooo said:

You're literally desperate for reasons to keep using outdated software, aren't you?

They're not disabling alt tab, they're adding an alternative.

I swear, the people who hate windows 10 are so delusional.

The only delusional windows users are those that install an operating system that was designed to take away control from the user, mines your data, constantly changes your settings back to default and breaks your drivers while installing massive amounts of bloatware trash with every update.

What exactly is "outdated" about 7?

The only thing it can't do is run DX12 titles and you can count those that are exclusive on one hand. Not to mention, a lot of people don't purchase a system just to play games.

Windows 10 users are essentially microshaft's bitch.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

1 hour ago, Hellion said:

The only delusional windows users are those that install an operating system that was designed to take away control from the user, mines your data, constantly changes your settings back to default and breaks your drivers while installing massive amounts of bloatware trash with every update.

What exactly is "outdated" about 7?

The only thing it can't do is run DX12 titles and you can count those that are exclusive on one hand. Not to mention, a lot of people don't purchase a system just to play games.

Windows 10 users are essentially microshaft's bitch.

What control do you think was taken away from the user?

And don't say updates, because that was 100% necessary. Zero windows 10 computers fell victim to the ransomware earlier this year, and that's because of automatic updates.

Windows 7 has been replaced by Windows 10. It's basically the definition of outdated. A 1999 Civic can do anything a 2017 Civic can do. That doesn't mean the 1999 isn't outdated.

6 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

And don't say updates, because that was 100% necessary. Zero windows 10 computers fell victim to the ransomware earlier this year, and that's because of automatic updates.

Windows 7 has been replaced by Windows 10. It's basically the definition of outdated. A 1999 Civic can do anything a 2017 Civic can do. That doesn't mean the 1999 isn't outdated.

No. Forcing mass updates of every single piece of shit that microshaft can throw in is not necessary. If security is a concern for you because you are an idiot that downloads everything they comes across on dubious websites then you are screwed either way, otherwise just the bare bones security updates are what you need and most of those specifically concern remote execution after the user has already downloaded a maliciously crafted file.

I define "outdated" by the ability to perform a task to a certain standard. Not by the date posted on the box. Outside of DX12 there's nothing windows 10 can do over windows 7.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

6 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

What data leaves your PC(aka telemetry, in reality i would call it spyware, not to mention the other stuff like wifi sense or whatever its called). What updates and when  get installed, plus the forced restart of your PC even if its in sleep. Ignoring host file, registry, and GP entry's. Installs and uninstalls apps and programs without user consent. And the list goes on...

Edited by jagdtigger

Now if only Windows 10 weren’t buggy as hell.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Now if only Windows 10 weren’t buggy as hell.....

and unpleasant to use 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

20 hours ago, Hellion said:

designed to take away control from the user

It really hasn't. Every UWP app that comes with Windows 10 can be stripped from Windows 10, including the store. Telemetry and ad related data collection, not a quick process, but an easy one if you can follow a half assed  guide. And just about everything that could have been done in 7, can be done to 10. Microsoft made a UI that was more idiot friendly.

13 hours ago, Hellion said:

No. Forcing mass updates of every single piece of shit that microshaft can throw in is not necessary. If security is a concern for you because you are an idiot that downloads everything they comes across on dubious websites then you are screwed either way, otherwise just the bare bones security updates are what you need and most of those specifically concern remote execution after the user has already downloaded a maliciously crafted file.

'Drive by' downloads through Google Adsense are a thread that can be done through LTT, YouTube, and just about any other site using Google Adsense, or Facebook's platform. There's also the potential to hijack a trusted website domain, inject malware into the repository of trusted sources, spoofed email, etc.

Most home users don't know how to deal with these, a good deal of them don't even know that any of that is even a possibility.

19 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

It's necessary for your average user, and only security updates.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

It really hasn't. Every UWP app that comes with Windows 10 can be stripped from Windows 10, including the store. Telemetry and ad related data collection, not a quick process, but an easy one if you can follow a half assed  guide. And just about everything that could have been done in 7, can be done to 10. Microsoft made a UI that was more idiot friendly.

Yeah, with an admin PS and not through the GUl like it should, not to mention that you cant strip out cortana because then the start menu wont work. And sorry to burst you bubbles but one of the things where spy10 ignores the hosts file, GP and registy entry's is telemetry(not even server can disable it). Only way to stop it is a white listing firewall...

Tabs for the Groove app as well? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 11/29/2017 at 3:11 AM, hey_yo_ said:

Wut? I don’t think IE6 bundled with Windows XP has tabs nor tabbed browsing. 

You cut out the part of the quote that clarifies this. It didn't come with IE6, you could add it to IE6 by way of a toolbar extension.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Yeah, with an admin PS and not through the GUl like it should, not to mention that you cant strip out cortana because then the start menu wont work. And sorry to burst you bubbles but one of the things where spy10 ignores the hosts file, GP and registy entry's is telemetry(not even server can disable it). Only way to stop it is a white listing firewall...

Have you even used w10? You can disable cortana and still use both the search bar and the start menu. I don't remember a time when disabling cortana changed anything in the OS except not being able to use Cortana.

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Have you even used w10? You can disable cortana and still use both the search bar and the start menu. I don't remember a time when disabling cortana changed anything in the OS except not being able to use Cortana.

AFAIK cortana cant be turned off completely, ms just integrated it too deeply into the system. Thats why it brakes things if you forcibly remove it(meaning you circumvent access rights with a live linux and delete it)... Quick google:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3100358/windows/you-cant-turn-off-cortana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

I'm fine with it being an option, however the keyword is option let us decide MS that's all I wanted from you but you keep "improving" your OS with features that are either not able to be edited/toggled or features that when turned off break old features that should have nothing to do with the new crap.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

AFAIK cortana cant be turned off completely, ms just integrated it too deeply into the system. Thats why it brakes things if you forcibly remove it(meaning you circumvent access rights with a live linux and delete it)... Quick google:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3100358/windows/you-cant-turn-off-cortana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

Its data collection can be turned off without deactivating it totally, so that's enough, isn't it?

I mean, that they moved normal functionality to Cortana while letting you deactivating the main components of Cortana (which are the initial components), which collect data on you to function properly (which is perfectly normal since voice or writing recognition need data to work anyway), is okay.