Windows on Xbox

Msherrard
On 11/29/2017 at 12:30 AM, Msherrard said:

Does anyone know if it would be possible to put Windows (Or Linux if that's easier) on an Xbox One? I've got an old one laying around, and got curious. I know it's not as good as a gaming pc, and that's not the point. I think since the mobo and bios are custom, you would have to write your own drivers for everything. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Thanks guys!

I remeber The ORIGINAL XBOX could run Windows XP (and Vista/7 on basic graphic if performed so carefully and correctly albeit not well). XP ran well ish  but becuase of special ports and replacement of drives, and eeehh. It was impractical. But kewl. But they also made Xboxs out of Desktop parts then too...

On ‎2017‎年‎11‎月‎29‎日 at 2:37 PM, ArduinoBen said:

I'm pretty sure it runs on an ARM CPU, so only Windows 10S with custom Kernels.  Which sucks.

Windows 10s runs on the x86 CPUs, and you can upgrade to Windows Pro. It's very different from the Windows rt.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017/11/29 at 2:37 PM, ArduinoBen said:

I'm pretty sure it runs on an ARM CPU, so only Windows 10S with custom Kernels.  Which sucks.

Microsoft and Quallcomm got the full-fat windows 10 running on a snapdragon 835 (which is an ARM CPU) with programs designed for x86 working fine

• 2 weeks later...

From Wikipedia

The Xbox One console runs on an operating system that includes the Windows 10 core, although initially it included the Windows 8 core at the Xbox One's release. The Xbox One system software contains a heavily modified Hyper-V hypervisor (known as NanoVisor) as its host OS and two partitions. One of the partitions, the "Exclusive" partition is a custom virtual machine (VM) for games; the other partition, the "Shared" partition is a custom VM for running multiple apps. The Shared Partition contained the Windows 8 Core at launch until November 2015, where via a system update known as the "New Xbox One Experience", it was upgraded to the Windows 10 Core. With Windows 10, Universal Windows Platform apps became available on Xbox One. According to the current head of Microsoft's Xbox division, Phil Spencer, "The importance of entertainment and games to the Windows ecosystem has become really prevalent to the company".[10] The program that Microsoft launched allows developers to build a single app that can run on a wide variety of devices, including personal computers and Xbox One video game consoles.

The geek himself.