HDMI 2.1 is here with 10K and Dynamic HDR support

silberdrachi
12 hours ago, leadeater said:

Security doesn't even come in to play.

only true inside a device but moment 2 devices are connected yes security is a factor

not to long ago they had an atsc bug that allowed malicious codes be sent to atsc card(tv aerial antenna)

then you have bluetooth that recently is an issue

now if these idiot level tvs are compromised then code can travel with 00000000 antivirus/firewall interference into your cable connected pc

so security does have grounds to stand on and ignorance of security will bite people in arse everytime

your displays have writeable memory and malicious code can hide here like it can on your dvd drives firmware storage chips(anyone remember this from early 90's)and execute days weeks years after planting

16 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

I hate how HDMI has such a strangle hold over the TV living room space. they took their sweet time to get to the speeds DP has had for years.

Word.  I love using DP on my 4K monitor for my PC. 

It must be noted that anything past 8K 60Hz it uses image compression to achieve more Hz/fps or resolution. So don't expect the best image quality at those level.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It must be noted that anything past 8K 60Hz it uses image compression to achieve more Hz/fps or resolution. So don't expect the best image quality at those level.

I have to imagine that by the time we get panels that can do 8k 120hz or 10k 60hz we will have a new version of HDMI and DP anyway.

Or at least they will cost so much no one will be buying them until a new version is finalized.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

6 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

only true inside a device but moment 2 devices are connected yes security is a factor

not to long ago they had an atsc bug that allowed malicious codes be sent to atsc card(tv aerial antenna)

then you have bluetooth that recently is an issue

now if these idiot level tvs are compromised then code can travel with 00000000 antivirus/firewall interference into your cable connected pc

so security does have grounds to stand on and ignorance of security will bite people in arse everytime

your displays have writeable memory and malicious code can hide here like it can on your dvd drives firmware storage chips(anyone remember this from early 90's)and execute days weeks years after planting

We are talking about display protocols though which don't have access to write to firmware at all, and DP is more secure than HDMI anyway as it supports AES. Ethernet over HDMI would be the only real security consideration but since that is ethernet same considerations apply as normal.

ATSC did have access to write to firmware and storage as that was part of it's standards.

By your same reasoning VGA is a security threat vector. Just because two devices are connected in some way doesn't mean that connection is automatically a security risk, there needs to be something that would make it a risk and between HDMI or DP that would make HDMI less secure due to it's ethernet capability but only if you are using that feature.

Updated the main post with the bit rates at each resolution/fps. it also shows which require compression.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)