240Hz ASUS FREESYNC MONITOR

Polesh007

Asus has released a 240Hz Freesync monitor for "speed freaks".

Here's the link http://www.pcgamer.com/asus-releases-a-24-inch-240hz-freesync-monitor-for-speed-freaks/

The ROG Strix XG258Q has DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 but doesn't have integrated speakers although I doubt anyone who buys this (its $599) doesn't have pretty good headphones and or speakers. Otherwise it has decent/good specs with 400 nits brightness and 90' pivot but its only at 1080p, but that probably doesnt matter much either.

It looks pretty good even if it doesn't offer much apart from the refresh rate, but daaamn its expensive.

qdv5KAWTdg87bkbsJ7xUNJ-650-80.jpg

I still like monitors to have speakers integrated.

But does anyone here have 240hz monitors? And if so, does it make a noticeable difference over 144hz? If not, then it sounds like a complete waste of money to raise the length of your e-peen.

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

But does anyone here have 240hz monitors? And if so, does it make a noticeable difference over 144hz? If not, then it sounds like a complete waste of money to raise the length of your e-peen.

Considering FreeSync/G-Sync only works when your framerate is lower than the monitor's refresh rate, having a monitor that has a high enough refresh rate that you'll always be under it will give you FreeSync operation all the time, which might be something to consider.

Yeah surely it can't make that much of a difference, especially with high end graphics already

It's for CS:GO and the like, I guess. Where people already obsess about having 200+ FPS.

It would be hard to really make use of the >144Hz range in more demanding games anyway.

16 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

There are aspects that will benefit from higher refresh abilities other than human perception.  If the panel can maintain brightness and contrast at higher refresh rates and the overall processor has less laggy bit things with reduced glitch moments in the flux capacitor, then i don't see why it wouldn't be a better experience. 

P.s serious about the first bit. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

37 minutes ago, Polesh007 said:

The ROG Strix XG258Q has DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 but doesn't have integrated speakers although I doubt anyone who buys this (its $599) doesn't have pretty good headphones and or speakers.

Didn't know gaming headphones are good headphones. How about that. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

45 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Didn't know gaming headphones are good headphones. How about that. 

Some of Sennheiser's gaming headsets are just their regular high-quality headphones with a microphone added.

Gaming headsets are not low quality by definition.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

Considering FreeSync/G-Sync only works when your framerate is lower than the monitor's refresh rate, having a monitor that has a high enough refresh rate that you'll always be under it will give you FreeSync operation all the time, which might be something to consider.

thats actually not true, amd has a feature you can enable that makes freesync work even over the refresh rate of your monitor

you do have to enable it manually though

There's an Alienware version for even cheaper: https://smile.amazon.com/Alienware-25-Gaming-Monitor-AW2518Hf/dp/B0733YCKM5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511902635&sr=8-2&keywords=alienware+25

And a G-Sync version for a good price too: https://smile.amazon.com/Alienware-25-Gaming-Monitor-AW2518H/dp/B0733VW5QB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511902635&sr=8-1&keywords=alienware+25

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

I have the 27" Acer version. Pretty awesome, but only e-sports games will hit 240. 240fps is incredibly smooth, but the difference between 240 and 120 is not nearly as dramatic as 60 to 120.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

17 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Some of Sennheiser's gaming headsets are just their regular high-quality headphones with a microphone added.

Gaming headsets are not low quality by definition.

They may not be low quality, but most of them aren't good either, when compared to "regular" headphones. Take into account that the good ones, like some Sennheiser (they have bad ones as well), Arctis 7 and such are a huge minority. Most of them are garbage or just bad imo.

You may say this is purely subjective though, seeing how many people think Razer is the top tier.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

9 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

thats actually not true, amd has a feature you can enable that makes freesync work even over the refresh rate of your monitor

you do have to enable it manually though

I think you're confusing this with LFC, which maintains FreeSync when you go below the minimum refresh rate of the monitor, not above the maximum.

Just now, Glenwing said:

I think you're mistaking it with the thing that maintains FreeSync when you go below the minimum refresh rate of the monitor, not above the maximum.

go look it up its called enhanced Sync 

Just now, Glenwing said:

That's a form of V-Sync with reduced latency (like NVIDIA's Fast Sync), not FreeSync. 

still does the same thing, it prevents stutters when over the refresh rate of the monitor

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

There is a difference but it is hard to notice. If anything you will notice that you play just a little bit better because you have the information slightly faster. I have only played on a 144hz monitor at my friends house so it was hard for me to tell but my friend tried my monitor and he could tell. Anyways this monitor is way overpriced seeing as aoc has one for like 350.

1 hour ago, Masada02 said:

There's an Alienware version for even cheaper: https://smile.amazon.com/Alienware-25-Gaming-Monitor-AW2518Hf/dp/B0733YCKM5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511902635&sr=8-2&keywords=alienware+25

And a G-Sync version for a good price too: https://smile.amazon.com/Alienware-25-Gaming-Monitor-AW2518H/dp/B0733VW5QB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511902635&sr=8-1&keywords=alienware+25

I have the 27" Acer version. Pretty awesome, but only e-sports games will hit 240. 240fps is incredibly smooth, but the difference between 240 and 120 is not nearly as dramatic as 60 to 120.

I've used 144hz for a long time and it seems like diminishing returns kick in right around that area.

3 hours ago, Matu20 said:

While I don't have it, I've tried it and compared it to 144Hz and I notice difference on 240Hz in games I've tested, Quake, CS:GO which are primary target for such monitor. Specially very fast movements and looking around fast. Definitely not a huge difference like 60 to 144 but yeah, if you're into competitive fps games you may notice it. Everyone are different so some can some can't.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

It's for CS:GO and the like, I guess. Where people already obsess about having 200+ FPS.

It would be hard to really make use of the >144Hz range in more demanding games anyway.

As far as FPS games which such high refresh rate matters the most, only Quake is another game that crosses my mind that can achieve it.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Can Vega 64 play anything besides CS:GO at 240hz sustained?

It can, Quake. The new one Quake Champions even I with R9 290 be it low or ultra I get high enough frames easily. Also game is not yet finished, needs optimizations and Vulkan is yet to come for it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I was thinking of getting a 240Hz and this one would be awesome. Though in the end I plan to get a new 1440p 144Hz rather due to higher pixel density which is really nice. I'd really like that they make 24" version of MG279Q though. 27" is too big.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Looking at frostbite engine with the 200 FPS hard lock ...-_-

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Don't think we forgot about that 4k 120hz panel that was talked about ages ago Asus.

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Can Vega 64 play anything besides CS:GO at 240hz sustained?

It should be able to in theory but Source Engine is weird as fuck, in my system for instance i get fps all the way from 500 down to 170ish in the most big fluctuation in the world whenever I look at the counter it marks something different, 244, 331, 149, 444, 254, 190, 381... literally have no idea what gives all is in order... the engine is just derp sometimes.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 hours ago, GamingMemeKing said:

Got it last week

Just out of curiosity, you do can turn off that logo right? I don't think that's really my deal but then again I'm an ultrawide lover... did 144hz to 240hz make any difference even? got time to go some cs:go to feel?

I won't lie I can't see differences much after 100hz, my eyes are bottleneck rip.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)