Best Display for around £200/300$

AxwellMix

As christmas is coming up, I'm wanting to upgrade my monitor. I want a good monitor be for all around use such as playing games, 3D modeling, video and photo editing. I really want a crisp image for both gaming and editing. I would prefer a 1080p 24" or 27" monitor with HDMI, DP or DVI-I (Any of these two is fine). I'm from the UK, so I would prefer links to UK retailers. My GPU is XFX HD Radeon 7870 Tahiti LE for reference.

If you're doing photo editing, I would not get a 120Hz monitor as they use TN panels which have worse colour than IPS panels.

You could get one of those cheap 1440p Korean monitors.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

If you're doing photo editing, I would not get a 120Hz monitor as they use TN panels which have worse colour than IPS panels.

You could get one of those cheap 1440p Korean monitors.

Okay, I'll remove that from the post, thanks for the tip! Would you be able to show me any of the cheap korean 1440p monitors?

If your video editing don't get a 120hz panel the colors are pretty bad on them. For the price range I would grab a dell U2412HM or a Asus Pa248q

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

How serious are you about the video and photo editing? If you want perfect colors don't go with the cheap Korean monitors. 

GPU hasnt been listed, might not be able to handle 2560x1440. Although if it can that is an epic monitor.

My GPU is XFX AMD HD Radeon 7870 Tahiti LE

You can get 1440P 120Hz monitors not sure on how the picture looks tho.

You can get 1440P 120Hz monitors not sure on how the picture looks tho.

Not with a 7870. Wont exactly run well.

My GPU is XFX AMD HD Radeon 7870 Tahiti LE

That probably cant handle a 2560x1440 display, or at least not well.

That probably cant handle a 2560x1440 display, or at least not well.

So I will be better off getting a 1080p display?

i suggest saving for a high quality 1440p monitor. If youre big on color reproduction the kroean ones might have some calibration issues. the big problem is a lack of onboard presets. The Dell sRGB preset is amazing. 

get this 1080p screen. its one of the best for color accuracy. plus Dell's warranty is 3yrs of no-questions-asked free replacements. Plus paid return-cross shipping so you never go without a monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

i suggest saving for a high quality 1440p monitor. If youre big on color reproduction the kroean ones might have some calibration issues. the big problem is a lack of onboard presets. The Dell sRGB preset is amazing. 

get this 1080p screen. its one of the best for color accuracy. plus Dell's warranty is 3yrs of no-questions-asked free replacements. Plus paid return-cross shipping so you never go without a monitor

The third person suggesting 2560x1440. He has a 7870. It cant handle it. He is better off with 1080p

So I will be better off getting a 1080p display?

Yeah. The people suggesting 2560x1440 didnt ask the GPU. A 7870 cant really handle it all that well.

Or buy a Korean monitor and a X-rite calibrator. Just saying. For professional print work, the Dell would still be better though.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Or buy a Korean monitor and a X-rite calibrator. Just saying. For professional print work, the Dell would still be better though.

I added it to the post, so many people failed to notice it! :P

I know that is not the point. But he can buy it and bring it forward, and play games at 1080p for now. I think a monitor is still an investment, not a commodity. 

Albeit he can get a 1080p monitor now and buy a 4k one a few years from now.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I added it to the post, so many people failed to notice it! :P

The 7870 is a great card for the price, and great for 1080p. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= I would grab this, asus, matte, IPS, 5ms response time. In my opinion it is the king of 1920x1080 under $200 :P

Dell also has some really good ones.

I know that is not the point. But he can buy it and bring it forward, and play games at 1080p for now. I think a monitor is still an investment, not a commodity. 

Albeit he can get a 1080p monitor now and buy a 4k one a few years from now.

We dont know his budget for future graphics card. It is too presumptuous to lay out what route he should go money-wise.

We dont know his budget for future graphics card. It is too presumptuous to lay out what route he should go money-wise.

But then playing games on a 1440p dislay at 1080p requires the same horsepower...

Personal Rig

But then playing games on a 1440p dislay at 1080p requires the same horsepower...

Would also be a waste of quite a bit of money if he doesnt plan on upgrading GPUs soon.