Ryzen 2500u benchmark by The Tech Report (img heavy)

Prysin
20 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Is it possible for you guys to do a review on the intel version of the x360, since both of them use the same design. Many sites only focuses on the Spectre.

I'd certainly like to but I can't say for certain that we will.

1 minute ago, jkampman said:

I'd certainly like to but I can't say for certain that we will.

One that I've been curious about is whether the mobile Ryzen Infinity Fabric is sensitive to memory speeds and latencies in a similar fashion to their desktop counterparts...  Any thoughts on this after spending some time with it?

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

One that I've been curious about is whether the mobile Ryzen Infinity Fabric is sensitive to memory speeds and latencies in a similar fashion to their desktop counterparts...  Any thoughts on this after spending some time with it?

It might, but the maximum frequency supported by the chip is officially DDR4-2400 and there are no unlocked multipliers we can tweak to test faster RAM so it's kind of an academic question. Slower RAM might have a negative impact but I don't have DDR4-2133 SO-DIMMs handy to swap in. I do think you want to seek out systems with dual-channel DDR4-2400 as stock memory configs, though.

32 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

30 minutes ago, jkampman said:

It might, but the maximum frequency supported by the chip is officially DDR4-2400 and there are no unlocked multipliers we can tweak to test faster RAM so it's kind of an academic question. Slower RAM might have a negative impact but I don't have DDR4-2133 SO-DIMMs handy to swap in. I do think you want to seek out systems with dual-channel DDR4-2400 as stock memory configs, though.

In all likelihood, it is, but I wouldn't be worried about that for a monolithic chip anyway. Infinity Fabric is specifically linking independent chips. The GPU is most certainly subordinate to the CPU, and it's not an HPC part, so why bother with that manufacturing complexity and cost?

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Why then does having a shit FPU=bad performance in games? Because that's the way been since the days of the 486 and Pentium, where FPU became common and games required more complex calculations. Note that this example while old, still holds true:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/160/10

Think about it, why does the FX 8350 perform like a slow quad core in most games?

FX struggles due to its pipeline design, its a scheduler + cache issue 90% of the time.

9 hours ago, jkampman said:

Mobile XFR is a different feature from desktop XFR, despite the similarity in naming. Basically, desktop XFR is about using extra thermal headroom to enable higher boost frequencies when possible; mobile XFR (to the best of my understanding) is a specific premium feature that will allow for higher overall performance under sustained workloads. As AMD puts it, mobile XFR means that a laptop so equipped "converts the thermal headroom of a premium notebook’s superior cooling solution into higher average processor frequencies." It specifically requires a cooling solution capable of dissipating 25W, which the x360 has. In short, it is all about that higher TDP.

In practice, what that all seems to mean is that you won't see higher single-core boost over spec (3.6 GHz is it for the Ryzen 5 2500U in Cinebench 1T) but all-core clocks might be way higher than the base clock (the Envy x360 hits 2.6 GHz to 2.8 GHz all-core in Cinebench, compared to the official 2 GHz spec). 

To me that kinda sounds logical; if you have extra power and cooling available then remove obstacles to achieve better performance. Of course it would be nice if AMD allowed you to toggle it through software.

I'm guessing the reason Notebookcheck's data on temperatures, fan noise and characteristics as well as clock speeds seem so unimpressive is that the system is boosted to 25W while competing against 15W and losing in noise and temperature. That makes more sense. With that being said it does seem that the cooling system isn't quite there to handle 25W. It may be because it's a dud though as it seems theirs is the only system misbehaving with crashes and other problems.

Have you looked at the supposed 150 (or was it 250) MB video memory limitation in games? Is the software, particularly graphics drivers, really so bad that some games don't run (AotS I believe is one example), performance being nowhere near synthetics and generally appearing as woefully unprepared as AMD have been in the past? Actually not that unlike the desktop Vega drivers except maybe worse. I think that's the big question because a lot of others issues with the laptop may also be blamed at HP (either partially or fully). So to simplify the question: is the software in a state where it's not ready for primetime?