Define C and 140mm Noctua fans

MatsNorway

I am thinking about testing a 4pin 140mm fan from Noctua in my case. The looks of the fan is irrelevant.

The focus is mostly on getting the noise level down. But i notice the Noctuas also move more air than the Fractal X2 GP fans.. so that is nice..

Does anyone have a recommendation? So many models.

NF-A14's are excellent. 

Have you tried lowering the rpm of your current fans?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

the fans i have are 3pin only. and mobo only supports 60% fan speed. P9X79 Pro

The reason i only buy one fan is because i want to test if the mobo unlocks so the 4pin fan can go lower. It does go lower on CPU which is a Noctua cooler

I am loopking at the Noctua NF-A14 PWM because of that.

Later i will consider a high flow 120mm exhaust fan if the speeds are more adjustable than down to 60%

11 hours ago, MatsNorway said:

the fans i have are 3pin only. and mobo only supports 60% fan speed. P9X79 Pro

The reason i only buy one fan is because i want to test if the mobo unlocks so the 4pin fan can go lower. It does go lower on CPU which is a Noctua cooler

I am loopking at the Noctua NF-A14 PWM because of that.

Later i will consider a high flow 120mm exhaust fan if the speeds are more adjustable than down to 60%

The cpu_fan and cpu_opt headers support 4pin pwm and will have a great range of control for 4pin pwm fans. The cha_fan headers don't support 4pin pwm but are instead 'quiet fan headers' which will run 4pin fans at 5v or ~40% rpm. For 3pin fans, they'll probably only go down to 60% according to what you've said. 

You can find this info in the motherboard manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/P9X79-PRO/E8037_P9X79_PRO.pdf?_ga=2.48113255.1326786661.1511854213-428104206.1502821976

6a2fd6d8ae58c3eafcd10dc4b0ada904.png

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I see replies without getting tagged i think? Anyway, how do i tag a user?

Thanks a tousand times. It can be hard to find the info/get help on forums some times.

40% is plenty good for a Noctua fan in a silent cabinet. At that point the 2xRed series drives is probably the most noisy part.

2 hours ago, MatsNorway said:

I see replies without getting tagged i think? Anyway, how do i tag a user?

Thanks a tousand times. It can be hard to find the info/get help on forums some times.

40% is plenty good for a Noctua fan in a silent cabinet. At that point the 2xRed series drives is probably the most noisy part.

You tag by adding @ sign and selecting from list.

Your mobo should also support Speedfan (or Speedfan supports mobo) which offers bit better controls than mobos for 3pin fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

NF-A14, NF-P14 redux are nice case fans.

I personally don't like the Silent Wings fans (buzzing sound at low RPM), but many people claim that they're good, so you could give them a shot aswell.

@III-Argon-III Definitely contact bequiet about that. I have 5 of their silent wings 3 fans, but I have yet to hear any buzzing (maybe the buzzing is really quiet and I need to take off my case panel to hear it). Maybe I can't hear it cause my gpu aio pump is buzzing... should rma that soon... But to be fair, I mainly run the fans at 60% or higher cause they're really quiet in my case. 

On 11/29/2017 at 6:09 AM, MatsNorway said:

I see replies without getting tagged i think?

You'll see replies to threads you make by default. Other members need to be quoted or tagged if they're not following the thread--which is usually the case.

I think i added in settings to auto follow any discussion i have posted in. Should be default in any forum but that is just me.

19 hours ago, MatsNorway said:

I think i added in settings to auto follow any discussion i have posted in. Should be default in any forum but that is just me.

That's a great way to flood notifications for active members.