Please critique this build! V2

Ling
Go to solution Solved by Ling,

Lol @everyone didn't realise this case supported ATX will go back to drawing board...

Hey guys,

I've made a couple of adjustments to my previous build design posted earlier, and have come to this: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/TeRaByTeFrEnZy/saved/rRDnnQ

To explain, this is a white-themed mATX double-shoebox-sized build aimed at 1440p gaming at all levels of intensity. While the prices are listed in Australian Rupees (thanks Abbott/Turnbull LNP government :(), I may be purchasing the parts in Euros while in Europe.

Component Price ($AUD)

Intel Core i5 8600K Six Core LGA 1151 3.6 GHz CPU Processor $399
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi LGA 1151 mATX Motherboard $308
Corsair 16GB CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W DDR4 3200 MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM White $287
Galax Geforce GTX 1070 White HOF 8GB $649
Samsung 960 EVO 250 M.2 SSD $164
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 1TB $415
Corsair RM1000i 1000W High Performance OEM ATX Power Supply White $225
Fractal Design Kelvin S24 All In One Water Cooling $149
Corsair Carbide Quiet 400C Compact Mid-Tower Case Window White $139
GRAND TOTAL $2,735

Thank you for reading, and please leave suggestions if any below!

-Ryan

P.S. The power supply is the RM1000i Special Edition which comes in white, so rest assured it will fit the overall theme of the build.

P.P.S. Prices listed are obtained from www.umart.com.au

I would recommend against the 1000W PSU, you dont need that much. I would recommend against the storage M.2 drive and go with a WD Black instead if you intend to use it for games and general storage. I would also recommend against RoG motherboards, since the price tag is overly inflated just because it is branded RoG.

So far, everything else looks okay otherwise.

I Would recommend not using the 1000W PSU, Because in all fairness a 650W would do just as fine and still be excessive, The 1TB M.2 SSD could be swapped out for a 2TB-3TB WD Black for cheaper or similar pricing. Key games that have problems rendering you could just put onto the SSD to avoid that. and anything else that doesn't have rendering problems can just stay on the HDD.

Other than that all looks good

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

@Vadise In terms of white PSUs that unit is only about $30 more than a Silverstone 520W PSU, which are the only two real white PSUs I can seem to choose from. While usually I would pick a hard drive for mass storage, this is the first build I'm determined to make with purely SSDs (1 for boot and 1 for mass storage, mainly because combining them incurs a premium of $100). With the ROG board thing, I'm well-aware of this but this is the only Z370 mATX board available here right now from Asus, which I haven't yet been convinced to abandon...

Very valid points, but keep in mind the white theme and what this means for component choice. Soz for being picky lmao

@Alex Colson

2 minutes ago, TeRaByTeFrEnZy said:

@Vadise In terms of white PSUs that unit is only about $30 more than a Silverstone 520W PSU. While usually I would pick a hard drive for mass storage, this is the first build I'm determined to make with purely SSDs (1 for boot and 1 for mass storage, mainly because combining them incurs a premium of $100). With the ROG board thing, I'm well-aware of this but this is the only Z370 mATX board available here right now from Asus, which I haven't yet been convinced to abandon...

Very valid points, but keep in mind the white theme and what this means for component choice. Soz for being picky lmao

@Alex Colson

You cant see the powersupply since it has a shroud, 

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Just now, TeRaByTeFrEnZy said:

Website wont open...

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/TJyxFT/corsair-carbide-400c-white-atx-mid-tower-case-cc-9011095-cn

Look at the final image, it has a shroud.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

@TeRaByTeFrEnZy, TBH you can remove the casing from the Power supply and spray paint white would cost cheaper and tbh 1000W is still a waist.

The SSD would have been great to point out at the start but that's me being picky 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

@QuantumBit

Spoiler

36058.jpg

I see here they just left the shroud off in some of the photos, and to be honest I think that looks way more attractive. Plus, an increase of $30 max over other options which are like 300W less really isn't something for me to sweat...

Lol @everyone didn't realise this case supported ATX will go back to drawing board...

1 minute ago, TeRaByTeFrEnZy said:

Hehe. Also @everyone doesnt work. Youre gonna need to quote or tag them.

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

you spend too much on motherboard, SSD and powersupply and too little GPU.

i would get a less expensive motherboard, and i would drop the 1TB SSD (WTF!?) and i would swing for an i7 and a 1080ti instead...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR