EK-MLC Phoenix

The Benjamins

MLC-Main-Center.jpg

EK-MLC Phoenix is a Modular Liquid Cooling line of products and the next generation of improved All-In-One water cooling solutions. It is a new lineup of pre-filled products for liquid cooling, the 2nd generation of improved EK All-In-One products. Created for the market segment of customers who are unwilling to assemble a full custom loop or don’t have enough time for maintenance of their PCs, but still insist on a high-end cooling solution. The most important feature of EK-MLC is the modular design and the ability to add multiple pre-filled water blocks in any order!

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-mlc-phoenix/

The new EK-MLC or Modular Liquid Cooling lineup is bringing the anticipated pump radiator combo as a separate unit. Users will be able to select what kind of water block they want to connect to the radiator combo without draining, filling or spilling a single drop of liquid! All parts of the EK-MLC Phoneix family of products are pre-filled, making them easy to install and are maintenance free. The offer consists of three core modular units: radiator pump combo, unmatched selection of Full Cover GPU water blocks, and CPU water blocks. Buyers will be able to optimize their loop, either with only GPU cooling, only CPU cooling, or both at the same time; GPU and CPU in a single loop. This means the EK is going to offer superior GPU All-In-One liquid cooling solution, something that majority of high-end users are in need of.

EK just announced their all new AIO, it is a fully modular design broken up into 3 parts, The RAD and pump, CPU, and GPU. This is a full copper setup with QDC on each part for expandability. They support all new Intel sockets and AMD sockets (TR4 is standalone), and they support all of the current GPUs they already have blocks for. (15+ block designs). The MLC uses the same pump type as the FG line, the SPC Pump, and the Radiator core only needs 1 power cord to power the fans and pump. All of the tubing is attached with barb fittings not use if user reusable) and the tubing is covered in a very nice paracord like material. These are all prefilled and have a 2 year warranty.  My only issue with this AIO is the cost, if you configure a 240mm RAD + AM4 CPU + 1080Ti it is $415, and its $260 if you are just cooling the CPU, these costs is very close to using a EK kit or parting out your own setup (on the cheap end), and the whole FG line is a cheaper solution. Maybe they will make a FG line AIO with ALU to have a more cost effective AIO.

Check out their configurator https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/ek-mlc

InWin_MLC_Mobo.jpg

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-mlc-phoenix/

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/ek-mlc

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

everyone's thoughts on quick dis/connects? o_o I get the unsettling vibe that those might leak one day ._.

I never heard of issues on most PC cooling QDC, and these are medical grade QDCs.

Source is a EK rep I talked to on their discord. The reason MLC was delayed by 6 months was due to getting these QDCs

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

everyone's thoughts on quick dis/connects? o_o I get the unsettling vibe that those might leak one day ._.

I've used a lot of Koolance's QDs, and they're garbage, through and through.  They jam open, and you have no idea of that until you disconnect it.  Annnnnd water everywhere.

Swiftech's QDs, which are far more expensive, are WAY better.  Vastly better, in fact.  I've not had a single issue with any of them other than a manufacturing goof on one of them.  I spotted it before putting it in my loop, contact Swiftech, and the overnighted me 3 replacements.  Not 1.  3.  Just in case.  And they didn't ask for the bad one back.

As for the QDs EK is using: I don't know.  Knowing EK's usual push for quality, I'm sure they're even better than Swiftech's.  But without testing them over the course of several months, I couldn't say.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

I think this modular product is excellent for those that need a "My First Water Cooling" kit.  I like what EK's done to make it easy to snap stuff together and go.  For the beginner at water cooling, this should be an easy, if expensive choice.

Personally, as a slightly more advanced water cooling user, I'm not as keen on the "everything is controlled from the same PWM" bit.  Yes, it does make things very easy for folks, but I'd rather have independent control over the fans and pump.  I don't think they should be sharing a PWM signal.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

6 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

I think this modular product is excellent for those that need a "My First Water Cooling" kit.  I like what EK's done to make it easy to snap stuff together and go.  For the beginner at water cooling, this should be an easy, if expensive choice.

Personally, as a slightly more advanced water cooling user, I'm not as keen on the "everything is controlled from the same PWM" bit.  Yes, it does make things very easy for folks, but I'd rather have independent control over the fans and pump.  I don't think they should be sharing a PWM signal.

I am not sure if the pump is PWM controlled too, but the fans and pump and plugged into the visible splitter so you could power each fan individually.

mlc_radiators_top_240_noshadow_1.png

15 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I am not sure if the pump is PWM controlled too, but the fans and pump and plugged into the visible splitter so you could power each fan individually.

The pump is PWM'd as per the warning on the site. 

If PWM cable is not connected to the motherboard, pump and fans will work at maximum speed. 

That implies the pump is PWM'd.  You're right in that either the fans could be disconnected from the splitter and controlled independently.

It would be nice if they had G1/4 fittings that can connect to these so that users can upgrade to a more custom waterloop if needed.

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

It would be nice if they had G1/4 fittings that can connect to these so that users can upgrade to a more custom waterloop if needed.

That's decidedly not the point of this kit.  It's a single pump and a single radiator (of whatever size).  Putting more than a CPU and a single GPU on that loop, even with the 360-sized rad would be a hell of a stretch for it.  They want to make it super-simple for beginners to buy an easy-to-assemble fit, snap it together, and go.

11 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

That's decidedly not the point of this kit.  It's a single pump and a single radiator (of whatever size).  Putting more than a CPU and a single GPU on that loop, even with the 360-sized rad would be a hell of a stretch for it.  They want to make it super-simple for beginners to buy an easy-to-assemble fit, snap it together, and go.

well you could use 2 RADs in a series, and the 1 pump should be ok with 1 rad and 3 parts.

16 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

That makes sense. I guess I misinterpreted their intent for this. I brought this up because some people get EK's Fluid Gaming kit and find out that they cannot upgrade past what they have unless they buy another kit. Limitation of aluminum parts.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

They are excellent connections. Like really really good. Designed specifically for medical use with no drips allowed when disconnecting. Flow is basically uninterrupted too. 

I have the original EK Predator 360 with these connections, and bought some more so I could customize stuff. They work awesome, but are not easy to get a hold of. Quite expensive too.

This MLC looks close to the old Predator pump/rad combo wise. It's worth it. Definitely a nice setup. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

I love the idea that custom liquid cooling might be an actuality for even casuals.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well you could use 2 RADs in a series, and the 1 pump should be ok with 1 rad and 3 parts.

You could do a lot of things, sure.  But that's not the intent of this kit. :-)

7 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

You could do a lot of things, sure.  But that's not the intent of this kit. :-)

well it modular for a reason, I don't see why 2 rads, 1 CPU, 4 GPU is not a designed possibility 

This is a neat idea I like the concept of separate parts working together.

My only concern is maintenance: You eventually would have to refill these somehow as I don't think you can completely prevent evaporation specially with what looks to be a small reservoir.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

well it modular for a reason, I don't see why 2 rads, 1 CPU, 4 GPU is not a designed possibility 

Its modularity is limited.  The modularity is there in case you want to add a GPU to the loop.  That's it.  I'd recommend stop looking too far past what you see on EK's site.  It's pretty clear what they're up to, here.

Someone doing 2 rads, 1 CPU, and 4 GPUs is already considering a custom loop (or 2, if they're smart).  Those folks aren't the target market for this product.

I think they could also recommend and sell a similarly equipped Pump/Reservoir combo that you could just add to the loop, not sure what the implications of having 2 pumps are but well you can probably disconnect the one on the radiator from the power and you're good to go.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I think they could also recommend and sell a similarly equipped Pump/Reservoir combo that you could just add to the loop, not sure what the implications of having 2 pumps are but well you can probably disconnect the one on the radiator from the power and you're good to go.

Running 2 pumps in series isn't a problem.  If you wanted more from this kit, you could buy 2 of the rad/fan/pump combos and attach them in series fairly easily.  You just have to make sure you have the goesinta and goesoutta cables connected properly.

1 minute ago, jasonvp said:

Running 2 pumps in series isn't a problem.  If you wanted more from this kit, you could buy 2 of the rad/fan/pump combos and attach them in series fairly easily.  You just have to make sure you have the goesinta and goesoutta cables connected properly.

Well there you go: you get dual 280s or 360s of these and add 2 gpus and a cpu to the loop.

It seems like if you can afford such a rig you can probably afford custom but some people will like the idea of growing into the rig little bit little maybe. I hope some of the reviewers try something like this just to show the full potential of the system.

-------

Current Rig

-------

49 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Its modularity is limited.  The modularity is there in case you want to add a GPU to the loop.  That's it.  I'd recommend stop looking too far past what you see on EK's site.  It's pretty clear what they're up to, here.

Someone doing 2 rads, 1 CPU, and 4 GPUs is already considering a custom loop (or 2, if they're smart).  Those folks are the target market for this product.

I got confirmation of some stuff.

chrome_2017-11-27_10-23-06.png

AcroRd32_2017-11-27_10-38-13.png

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109863800.pdf

I got confirmation of some stuff.

This really isn't any more confirmation of what we'd already expect.  Basically, EK is saying: "If you want to cool XX, you need at least YY."  And that's it.  Physically, you'll be able to connect any of the blocks and rads together any way you want.  But, as I mentioned, trying to cool 2 GPUs and a CPU won't be a smart idea with either of those setups.  It's too much heat load.

Looks like a pretty good successor to the Predator. I definitely like the braided tubing, but I do wish they stuck a bit more with the 'pre-made custom loop' sort of thing -It's of course still way better than the 'expandability' pretty much everything else has, though.

Spoiler

BIG

UNNECESSARY

TACKY

ANGLED-UP

GODDAMN

COVER

(Not a fan of that bit.)

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Wtf are those prices?? 

Sorry, I'll stick with swiftech's h240 x2 which looks twice as good and cost half the price

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

It's pretty cool though. Nice to see this and for various cards too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, jasonvp said:

(or 2, if they're smart)

It doesn't matter how many loops there are, so ling as coolant stays below the component temps, the loop works. One well designed loop trumps two poorly designed loops.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.