Is 4GB of RAM worth the extra money?

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm about to order a Xiaomi phone. It's a Redmi 4x and there are actually 3 versions: 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage, 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage, and 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. They all come with the same CPU, which is a Snapdragon 435. I'm considering getting the version with 3GB of RAM, which is costs a bit less than $150. Do you think I should spend the extra $35 to get the one with 4GB? The problem is I'm ordering it from Gearbest, it's my first time using a Xiaomi product and I'm not sure how much I'll be charged at the post office when it arrives. Do you this CPU would really benefit from the extra GB of RAM?

Thanks

23 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

I'm about to order a Xiaomi phone. It's a Redmi 4x and there are actually 3 versions: 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage, 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage, and 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. They all come with the same CPU, which is a Snapdragon 435. I'm considering getting the version with 3GB of RAM, which is costs a bit less than $150. Do you think I should spend the extra $35 to get the one with 4GB? The problem is I'm ordering it from Gearbest, it's my first time using a Xiaomi product and I'm not sure how much I'll be charged at the post office when it arrives. Do you this CPU would really benefit from the extra GB of RAM?

Thanks

IIRC, the 435 is a pretty weak SoC. All the same, I'd go with 4GB. Future proofing and all.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 11/25/2017 at 3:13 AM, penmaster33 said:

for $35 I think you should

So now I'm facing a dilemma. The 3GB model is on flash sale, so now it's a $65 difference ($200 vs $135). Is it still worth it?

3 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

So now I'm facing a dilemma. The 3GB model is on flash sale, so now it's a $65 difference ($200 vs $135). Is it still worth it?

mmmm get the 3 gb version

The Honor 6X is a whole cm taller than the Redmi, and 3mm wider, hardly a phablet... though it does have more than a cm more screen price. I'd say get the 3gb version based on the chip. 4gb isn't needed if you're more worried about price than getting a good SoC

On 11/25/2017 at 5:04 AM, IAmAndre said:

and I don't like phablets

I would probably stick to the 3GB version unless you need the extra storage as well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 hours ago, penmaster33 said:

mmmm get the 3 gb version

4 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I would probably stick to the 3GB version unless you need the extra storage as well.

Thanks. I placed the order. Can't wait to get it :)

On 25/11/2017 at 11:10 AM, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

Thanks

In australia i know if the phone isnt over 1000aud in value u wont get extra duties. Not sure how other countries do this.

but you can request them to declare the actual value on the gift pack so u avoid hassles later on... i know amazon usa fid this when i order a gtx 1080 ti from there to here in Aus and didnt get charged cos <1000aud value. What u see is what u pay for

also with android overall its better to have more ram. iphone doesnt need so much altho a few speed tests has a bit of eyebrow raising when they pitted the iPhone x vs note 8 & note 8 ecking a win... but the iPhone 8 plus seemed to do fine(?) weird 

source: phonebuff for the above speed test comparison on youtube

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers