Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB - Should I?

LordTaylor

Hey Guys,

So... I'm in a unique position where I have legitimate access to Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB and valid licensing. My current setup is a Threadripper 1920X, ASUS Zenith Extreme, 32GB RAM, EVGA 1080 FTW, 250GB Samsung 960 EVO. I've got Windows 10 Pro installed currently however I get terrible stuttering even when closing a program or game and moving to a separate window? It's a little strange. I also really hate the way Windows 10 decides to update on my machine.

I understand LTSB obviously doesn't receive feature updates (which I'm more than fine with) and is lovely and lightweight as I'm using this as a Windows VM on a parallels install. I understand it receives just essential security updates but am concerned over software compatibility. Does anyone here know of any obvious concerns I should have over this (i.e. nVidia software won't work or perhaps some other common app won't)? I also have no intention on using the Windows App Store, I realise this isn't available on LTSB.

I plan to rebuild the PC tonight and will be putting on LTSB (providing no issues).

In company I work for, we have 15 hyper-v VMs running win 10 LTSB version.

Everything seems to be working just fine. Except Remote Desktop app that isn't included with it. Had to mess around a lot to get it working.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

What sort of software are you running on those VM's? Have you encountered any sort of Windows version compatibility issues?

You're basically missing out on bleeding edge features, which aren't really that game changing. Most things are Windows Store and UI related. Not really something that would break regular win32 applications.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thanks NelizMastr. I thought as much. Just wanted to double check with the community just incase there was a stark reason not to do it. Think I can live without Paint 3D & Edge xD 

My guess would be that whatever is messing with your gaming performance will remain same as OS rarely is sole cause of those issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I’d advise against it - was at TechSummit 2018 for Microsoft about 2 weeks back and they said it was very much ill advised to use LTSB unless absolutely necessary: from what I understood it missed out on quite a few things including some security related features. 

Looked it up, it receives all security updates, just no feature updates of any kind. I'm running it now and it's a massive improvement for me in terms of general performance. I'm sure it's not advised though however.