How to convert coaxial to RJ45 port to plug into new router

Aadi
Go to solution Solved by Aadi,

I did a bit of searching and found this article...

Check it out, it's actually pretty good http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#12506

Currently, I am using Verizon Fios inside my house. They supplied me a router to use and did the installation. However, I am now looking to upgrade my router to a newer Asus wireless AC router. Is it possible to convert the coaxial input in my house to the RJ45 needed to plug into the new router's internet port? The picture below shows the coax cable going into the verizon supplied router

post-1930-13866097400149_thumb.jpg

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

Btw I did some researching and it looks like the Verizon Routers both act as a modem and a router. Would I have to buy another modem or something like that?

That is very similar to the Superhub 2 that we get from Virginmedia here in the UK, that router acts as a Modem and a router. 

If we want to use an after-market router we put the Superhub 2 into modem mode, I assume the Verizon one has the same feature, check the settings. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

does it not have a ethernet port on it? most modems do

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives

It does. Should I connect the new router to it's LAN port then? The problem with that is that I will have two wireless networks running concurrently, the Verizon and the Asus

If I find a "modem mode" in the settings, and I enable it, then do I just plug the new router in the LAN port?

if there is an option to turn off the verizon wireless then yes do that.

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives

Tried looking around for a "only modem" mode or "bridge" mode. No such luck. If I buy another modem will the signal come through properly?

Just speak with your ISP and tell them to put it into bridged mode since you have a third-party router.

It does. Should I connect the new router to it's LAN port then? The problem with that is that I will have two wireless networks running concurrently, the Verizon and the Asus

Yes. Just buy the new router and plug the RJ45 from the Verizon modem into the WAN port on the router. 

Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 FE @ 1683MHz •  16GB DDR4 @3200MHz

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/QuintonAjStevens/