Rampage IV Gene Audio Quality vs. Sound Cards

wpirobotbuilder

Wow. A lot of hate on soundcards here.

TBH, I will never buy a soundcard, but the reason has nothing to do with it's performance

It's just because onboard is good enough for the most part, and external is usually better than soundcards, so paying extra for soundcard is not particularly smart idea.

But that said, saying onboard is flat out better than soundcard is bit stretching. 

Two revolutionary dance tones

That 10 ohm output impedance is THE main issue. Sure, there's reasons to prefer a soundcard, but audio reproduction is not one of them.

A problem if you have "low" impedence headphones. I do agree that shouldnt be there but if you have 250ohm ones thats a non issue

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Wow. A lot of hate on soundcards here.

TBH, I will never buy a soundcard, but the reason has nothing to do with it's performance

It's just because onboard is good enough for the most part, and external is usually better than soundcards, so paying extra for soundcard is not particularly smart idea.

But that said, saying onboard is flat out better than soundcard is bit stretching. 

It's not really a stretch, it's measurable.  And I have yet to meet anyone pick the soundcard as being better in a blind test.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

A problem if you have "low" impedence headphones. I do agree that shouldnt be there but if you have 250ohm ones thats a non issue

There are very few headphones that have 250 ohm or higher impedance, and even then, you know run in to the issue were you need an amp to drive them. 

It's not really a stretch, it's measurable.  And I have yet to meet anyone pick the soundcard as being better in a blind test.

As I said, onboard is good enough - implying that you won't hear the differences.

However, apart from impedance, soundcards are not particularly bad.

But again, I do use 250 ohm headphones...

Two revolutionary dance tones

Most headphones are not high impedance, so that's not a non issue.

Nothing, your onboard is more than enough.

In general, I mean.

Like what equipment would allow a 598 to reach its full potential (assuming original sound quality is not a problem)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Most headphones are not high impedance, so that's not a non issue.

True, no but you are right and most people dont really do research to see problems like that.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

In general, I mean.

Like what equipment would allow a 598 to reach its full potential (assuming original sound quality is not a problem)

A fiio or an objective2.

I bougth the Creative Soundblaster Z in the believe that i would get better sound/mic quality.

But after a day of use i could feel that the only thing it did, was to make my headset louder and get me some fancy software.

Funney enough my mic got louder which was okay, but the interferens got worse.

Thanks to a few really awesome guys in the audio section i got alot clever. But damm if i had the same knowlagde that i have now, i would have saved 100 bucks.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I bougth the Creative Soundblaster Z in the believe that i would get better sound/mic quality. But after a day of use i could feel that the only thing it did, was to make my headset louder and get me some fancy software. Funney enough my mic got louder which was okay, but the interferens got worse. Thanks to a few really awesome guys in the audio section i got alot clever. But damm if i had the same knowlagde that i have now, i would have saved 100 bucks.

Holy shit, so it's confirmed what we are saying isn't bull shit  <_< .

Could have save some cash if you read the audio FAQ or asked us :P

MayflowerElectronics

It was before the forum and audio FAQ. So that would have been pretty difficult.

Every review site and "audiophile" back then, was like buy a soundcard that will fix everything.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

MayflowerElectronics It was before the forum and audio FAQ. So that would have been pretty difficult. Every review site and "audiophile" back then, was like buy a soundcard that will fix everything.

Ah, sorry to hear that. You can always sell it if you don't want it?

Ah, sorry to hear that. You can always sell it if you don't want it?

Ye im proberly going to do that. I will soon get a pair of prober headphones, and maybe the dac/amp you're selling, though Ill make a topic about twomorow.

I got my sound card cause it had optical in for my ps3, literally only reason as my V Gene has an amp powerful enough to drive my headphones, which I got for massive size mostly due to shattered cartilage in the ears :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

What would be a match for 598's? Out of curiosity.

Your onboard is fine, if you really want to upgrade, the Objective2 amp is a great choice. I use these with mine.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy