Rampage IV Gene Audio Quality vs. Sound Cards

wpirobotbuilder

What sound card (say, Asus brand) comes closest to matching the audio onboard the Rampage IV Gene?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

The onboard sound is somewhere between the Xonar DGX and DX.

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DX

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

None, onboard is better then soundcards. 

Are you serious?

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Are you serious?

Onboard audio sucks ass in comparison to sound cards...

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?

Go read the FAQ and learn yourselves something useful instead of blindly giving bad advice. 

Go read the FAQ and learn yourselves something useful instead of blindly giving bad advice. 

I've read it and I understand, but objectively speaking, if someone has 300 dollars to spend on a audio setup and he buys a HD 598 and plugs it into his onboard should, rather than buying a M50 and a 150 dollar amp + DAC, which will give a better experience?

The OP has not specified what is he going to use his sound card so you cannot flatly say that onboard sound is better. 

Personal Rig

I've read it and I understand, but objectively speaking, if someone has 300 dollars to spend on a audio setup and he buys a HD 598 and plugs it into his onboard should, rather than buying a M50 and a 150 dollar amp + DAC, which will give a better experience?

The OP has not specified what is he going to use his sound card so you cannot flatly say that onboard sound is better. 

Measured, the 598's will give the better experience per dollar. Its the simple fact that audio is simple and soundcards are not while onboard easy. And its ALWAYS better to not over complicate issues. 

I beg to differ.

On what grounds? The fact that you have a soundcard and you think bloated bass and rolled off treble is better? That isn't better, numbers...Cold. Hard. Irrefutable numbers. Say that onboard is better. 

Measured, the 598's will give the better experience per dollar. Its the simple fact that audio is simple and soundcards are not while onboard easy. And its ALWAYS better to not over complicate issues. 

Could you kindly clarify as I don't seem to understand. Thanks.

Personal Rig

On what grounds? The fact that you have a soundcard and you think bloated bass and rolled off treble is better? That isn't better, numbers...Cold. Hard. Irrefutable numbers. Say that onboard is better. 

Show me these number then.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

Well, although the sound signature may be different or inferior, dedicated sound cards have better components and provide more detailed sound with a higher signal to noise ratio.

Personal Rig

Show me these number then.

Go read the FAQ, I'm in class and not a fan of redundancy anyway. Why say whats already been said better? 

You should follow your own advice, since you're the one blindingly giving advice, lots of sheep around here

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

That is highly subjective as it depends on what you like in headphones. Dollar for dollar, the HD 558 is a better buy. I don't like sennheiser though, but most people do.

beg all u want ur still wrong

Could you please elaborate or we cannot get a constructive debate over this issue.

Personal Rig

You should follow your own advice, since you're the one blindingly giving advice, lots of sheep around here

There's only one sheep? That's @ShearMe

But really, all advice we give is backed up by science and measurements. It's all objective. You would know if you read the FAQ.

That is highly subjective as it depends on what you like in headphones. Dollar for dollar, the HD 558 is a better buy. I don't like sennheiser though, but most people do.

Highly agreed that my scenario is flawed but I think I got my point across. (My dad also dislikes Sennheiser too though)

Personal Rig

Could you please elaborate or we cannot get a constructive debate over this issue.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/18617-the-audio-boards-frequently-asked-questions-pre-answered/ 

second question

soundcards are only viable if u need a better amp to drive headphones. most z87 boards can drive pretty much all consumer worthy headphones.

if your onboard is too noisy then an external dac/amp combo might be worth looking into. something like a fiio e10

Well, although the sound signature may be different or inferior, dedicated sound cards have better components and provide more detailed sound with a higher signal to noise ratio.

Not really, 93SNR is about the highest you need and the components are no different, electrically running your signal through more components reduces fidelity and introduces other goodies like higher high output impedance, impedance mismatch, and L/R imbalance. 

Highly agreed that my scenario is flawed but I think I got my point across. (My dad also dislikes Sennheiser too though)

Good! Someone else who agree's with me. I thought I was the only one ;)