AB350 Compatible Cooler for Ryzen 7 1700x

SOcean
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

Note that its the AM4 socket being issue, not mobo or chipset. If your case has space, go  for tower cooler instead of down-draft. 212 is good one, H7 would be even better. Or Pure Rock if you pay bit more.

I've been putting together a build over the past few days and need some advice on a compatible CPU cooler. I initially was planning on using the Hyper 212 but PCPartsPicker said that it may not be compatible with the motherboard so I selected a Pure Rock Slim. Can anyone look at the build and see if you have any suggestions for alternative coolers or if I should just stick with the Pure Rock?

PS: Already bought 1700x at a great price otherwise I would've gotten a 1700 and used the stock cooler :)

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zR8Jjc
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zR8Jjc/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($21.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - M500 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($299.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card  ($249.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1231.4

Both the cm 212 evo and the pure rock will be fine. If the 212 doesnt come with am4 mounting hardware you can get it free or extremely cheap from their website. Also go for the 212 instead of pure rock SLIM or get the original pure rock 

Suggestion: you don't need 850W PSU. Something like 600W would be plenty.

That motherboard is on very low end and not exactly recommended for 8c Ryzen.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

For the cooler, would this 212 EVO be a good option then? I figure if I change the motherboards, I'd probably have a compatible one for the EVO as well so wouldn't need the mounting hardware.

And also, any suggestions for alternative motherboards? Not really sure what I should be looking for.

on an off-note, the cooling of the VRM on the 250 series can be a concern with the high-end ryzen SKU's (especially X as the pre programmed voltage requirements for XFR).

and if overclocking is planned, i'd research for a beefier x370 board. your choice can support the CPU pretty much stock, but any attempt on OC, you'll meet some thermal problems and squirrelly difficulties

as to the HSF, for stock, the wraith or aftermarket coolers are effective. any OC needs, you'll need more (after a motherboard upgrade). 

Note that its the AM4 socket being issue, not mobo or chipset. If your case has space, go  for tower cooler instead of down-draft. 212 is good one, H7 would be even better. Or Pure Rock if you pay bit more.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

24 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thanks so much for the H7 suggestion, Newegg had a deal that included a free AM4 kit so I pulled the trigger on that.

1 hour ago, airdeano said:

i'd research for a beefier x370 board. your choice can support the CPU pretty much stock, but any attempt on OC, you'll meet some thermal problems and squirrelly difficulties

I'll look into the x370 thanks! Are all of the versions roughly the same or should I go for a specific brand over another?

if looking for OC capability with that CPU, there are many, but the ASUS CH6, 370 prime pro, arous 370 gaming 5 or 7 (giggy not my thing).

not really a simple answer depends on needs, budget and aptitude. since you already have the 1700x (must be content creator/streamer), try and not OC voltage past 1.4v and a H7.