Intel issues security alert for processors vulnerable to remote attack

Intel has issued a security alert that management firmware on a number of recent PC, server, and Internet-of-Things processor platforms are vulnerable to remote attack. Using the vulnerabilities, the most severe of which was uncovered by Mark Ermolov and Maxim Goryachy of Positive Technologies Research, remote attackers could launch commands on a host of Intel-based computers, including laptops and desktops shipped with Intel Core processors since 2015.

The company has posted a detection tool on its support website for Windows and Linux to help identify systems that are vulnerable.

Intel has finally issued a security alert telling users and manufacturers that there is a security flaw in the Intel Management Engine firmware versions 11.0 through 11.20.

I recommend everyone go to the detection tool on Intel's support website (linked above) to download and test their machine for vulnerabilities. If you own an Intel Core processor (including Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7) that is Skylake or later, an Intel Xeon processor (including E3-1200 v5 & v6 Product Family) that was released 2015 or later, you may be vulnerable to remote attack. This attack also extends to some Atom and Apollo Pentium/Celeron processors used in IoT devices and mobile devices.

I also recommend checking your motherboard manufacturer's website to download any UEFI flash updates that may be needed to remedy these issues.

Source: ArsTechnica (https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/intel-warns-of-widespread-vulnerability-in-pc-server-device-firmware/)

Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 FE @ 1683MHz •  16GB DDR4 @3200MHz

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/QuintonAjStevens/

(Removed)

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

13 minutes ago, Armakar said:

It would be useful if their shitty program worked.. rather than just a command prompt that closes 8 seconds later

You have to use Intel-SA-00086-GUI.exe in the DiscoveryTool.GUI Folder.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

is this new info enough? o_o

anyways: the way they mention the Core CPUs:

• 6th, 7th & 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family

Does Broadwell-E fall under the 6th, or technically under the 5th (because Broadwell mainstream was 5th)?

I found it to not quite speak more of the security flaw so much as they just spoke of the detection tool. My post/article focuses more around the flaw itself than the detection tool.

Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 FE @ 1683MHz •  16GB DDR4 @3200MHz

15 minutes ago, Armakar said:

It would be useful if their shitty program worked.. rather than just a command prompt that closes 8 seconds later

Did you not notice that after closing it creates a txt file that is a log of the output? Try double clicking on that and you will see the system vulnerability analysis result. They aren't going to make some pretty wizard that walks enterprise security analysts though holding their hand. This is meant to be widely deployed in enterprise and as such has to be light weight and have the ability to be automated.

So after I downloaded the latest Chipset driver ( Version 11.7.0.104020 Released at 17/11/01 ) the tool says that my system should be safe.

Here's a picture of the tool:

Spoiler

Intel-SA-00086-GUI_2017-11-22_19-49-11.png.c04168e03cae138eef7d69b62d920275.png

Just go to your Motherboard's support page and check if there is an Update to your Chipset driver.

Spoiler

chrome_2017-11-22_19-50-42.png.88bd1e1b84b39525685aad13941bc780.png

38 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Yeah gonna answer my own question:

So I had a look at intel's processor PDFs and:

Title: 6th Gen Intel® Core™ X-Series Processor Family Datasheet, Vol. 1

Page 7; Section 1: Introduction:

I know the HEDT CPUs were usually numbered a year apart, but I didn't know it's product literature canon ._.

I believe Broadwell-E is 6th generation since the processor names begin with the number 6. (E.g. i7-6800k) 

according to Intel’s naming scheme that would make it a 6th gen processor. 

Not sure if that necessarily means it’s vulnerable but it sounds like it might be and should be checked. 

Hey Intel, remember how you have an OS and a web server installed in your CPUs? Did you not stop to think for a nano-second that maybe it was a bad idea?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Haswell is vulnerable as well.

Edit: OK, which do I believe, the command line or GUI version?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

They are the same.

The GUI version is just more user-friendly.

6 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

They are the same.

The GUI version is just more user-friendly.

Well the command line version said that my computer is vulnerable, while the GUI version said its not...

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Well the command line version said that my computer is vulnerable, while the GUI version said its not...

Interesting what CPU and MOBO do you have? If there is a fix for the chipset might as well update it.

26 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Interesting what CPU and MOBO do you have? If there is a fix for the chipset might as well update it.

4790K+Z97 Sabertooth MKII. I have however installed the update from the 17/1 this year.

PMSL

25 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

4790K+Z97 Sabertooth MKII. I have however installed the update from the 17/1 this year.

I can't see a fix on Asus's website for your MOBO so you will probably have to wait.

However, I highly doubt that any of us is in danger because of this.

RIP

rip.thumb.PNG.58b4001246c131db4fded11bf36eed10.PNG

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Haswell is not vulnerable.

9 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

is this new info enough? o_o

anyways: the way they mention the Core CPUs:

• 6th, 7th & 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family

Does Broadwell-E fall under the 6th, or technically under the 5th (because Broadwell mainstream was 5th)?

BWE is part of the 6th generation in terms of the product line grouping. However, I believe the LGA 2011-3 CPUs don't have this issue.

1 hour ago, TheCherryKing said:

Haswell is not vulnerable.

Running the tool on HWE isn't going to mean anything. HWE is a rebrand and firmware change of Xeon E5 processsors, which aren't on the list of affected processors.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

"This system is vulnerable." -_-

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

X99 Haswell-E and Z77 Sandy here, so not vulnerable.  I ran the tool on the X99 machine just to make sure.

The laptops are an Ivy and a 2008 Atom, so those should be good too. 

Ran the tool on my i7-7700HQ Dell XPS 15 9560 system: It's vulnerable. Thankfully, Dell has announced BIOS firmware 1.6.0 will be released in December, so I'm not too far out for a fix. Although personally I believe that Intel should be 100% responsible for this and have a ready-to-go solution available for download today right now as who do you think I'm going to blame should my system get exploited between now and December? :) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Based on the analysis performed by this tool: This system is vulnerable.

MSI has yet to release one to me via live update, and I doubt they will actually do it...

16 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

MSI has yet to release one to me via live update, and I doubt they will actually do it...

Get in touch with MSI's support, they're usually quite fast and always accurate when replying to my technical questions. 

ima check on my home system as well but that SHOULD be safe seeing as its only 4th gen

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Am I safe to assume mobile skylake is also vulnerable?

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.