speed question.

pato.llaguno

I've got a motherboard that has 3gb and 6gb sata ports for drives, and it might be a dumb question but what is the diference? if fastest ssd wont get near 3gb? what are the 6gb ports for?

6 minutes ago, pato.llaguno said:

I've got a motherboard that has 3gb and 6gb sata ports for drives, and it might be a dumb question but what is the diference? if fastest ssd wont get near 3gb? what are the 6gb ports for?

Those are 6 and 3 gigaBIT per second SATA ports. The numbers tell how much data can be transferred over it at a time. gigaBITS are not the same as gigBYTES.

6 gigabit / second  is about 600 megabytes / second and the fastest SSDs are limited by this, so there is definitely a reason for it to exist.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

It's important to note the difference between Bits and Bytes. There are 8 bits to a byte and there for 8 Megabits to a Megabyte. 

SATA 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s are maximum bandwidth measured in Gigabits per second. SSD transfer speeds are measured in Megabytes per second. It's not uncommon for SATA SSDs to exceed 500Megabytes per second, which is 4000Megabits per second, or 4Gigabits per second, which is 1Gb/s more bandwidth than SATA 2 (3Gb/s).