Buyer Beware, Microsoft says Surface Book 2's Power Issues is the product working as intended and will continue to ship inadequate wattage charger

AlTech

OMG.. shocking news, just like the Surface Pro 3, 4, the new one, Apple MacBook Pro, and any other high performance non-workstation, non-gaming laptop. And no one complained....

Let me remind you all:

Surface Pro and Book power adapter: about the size of your palm of your hand. Small, easy to carry:

surface_book_i7_brick_720-100692681-orig

Gaming laptop and workstation power supply:

Bigger than your face, and weights in as much as a big fat rock where you pretty much need 2 hands, and some laptop requires 2 of them:

f45c67357622c31d6c1b01b85dd4b5e3_XL.jpg

If you want a gaming laptop, buy a gaming laptop. Simple as that.

People want small power supplies. Laptops with big ones are highly criticized due to their size and weigth. Heck, the Surface Pro 1 and 2, with its small power supply that was smaller than most laptop, was still criticized that that it was still too big, because Apple one was smaller'ish (and as a result, lower rating). So make up your mind.

Many laptops do this. No big deal if you aren't maxing the hardware, which I doubt the realistic audience will.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

, Apple MacBook Pro

Uhh, no.

The USB C bricks charge MacBook Pros faster than a mother f*cker under any load. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, tsk said:

It wouldn't be a problem for Microsoft to build a very similar port that could deliver 120W, it would porbably be slightly bigger and require some changes to the power circuitry, but that would break backwards compatibility, which I'm assuming is the reason they stuck with the current one.

Edit; The USB-C spec allows for max 5A@20V which gives 100W, so there's no going around that if you wanna call it USB-C.

Qualcomm obviously has no problem breaking spec for Quick Charge 3. Microsoft could probably do so as well if they so choose.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Uhh, no.

The USB C bricks charge MacBook Pros faster than a mother f*cker under any load. 

The 87W brick goes pretty damn slow when I'm playing Slime Rancher. It's not a godsend charger by any means.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

The 87W brick goes pretty damn slow when I'm playing Slime Rancher. It's not a godsend charger by any means.

But it is charging the computer......

And when in "normal" use it chargers extremely fast. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

But it is charging the computer......

And when in "normal" use it chargers extremely fast. 

I put my MBP at full load, like what it takes to get the highest spec SB15 to not charge, chances are, it won't charge either.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

I put my MBP at full load, like what it takes to get the highest spec SB15 to not charge, chances are, it won't charge either.

which MBP? 

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not charging is fine, draining the battery on the other hand can be problematic. I can see not including the beefiest charger because that's not what most people want/need, although there should be an option for a better charger (again, assuming it is draining the battery--simply not charging under extremely heavy loads or charging slowly is fine).

But regardless it is going to be a niche issue.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

which MBP? 

2017, 7700HQ, Radeon Pro 555.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Not charging is fine, draining the battery on the other hand can be problematic. I can see not including the beefiest charger because that's not what most people want/need, although there should be an option for a better charger (again, assuming it is draining the battery--simply not charging under extremely heavy loads or charging slowly is fine).

Again, under realistic use, the SB15 will see little issue with the charger. It's pushing the machine to its limits that the issue crops up. And it is a problem nit unique to the SB15.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

You should test it not make a hypothetical argument and make a post about it on the Forum. 

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Again, under realistic use, the SB15 will see little issue with the charger. It's pushing the machine to its limits that the issue crops up. And it is a problem nit unique to the SB15.

I understand it's a niche issue, and my comment wasnt specifically targeting the SB15. Any laptop when put under extreme load shouldn't be draining the battery while plugged in -- if it is, then there should be a secondary charging option that you can buy if you fall into that niche category.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I understand it's a niche issue, and my comment wasnt specifically targeting the SB15. Any laptop when put under extreme load shouldn't be draining the battery while plugged in -- if it is, then there should be a secondary charging option that you can buy if you fall into that niche category.

Unfortunately, many manufacturers are moving towards USB-C or proprietary, and they hit the limit of the port. If Microsoft figured out a method of implementing a second charge port on just the tablet half of the SB, there would be a viable solution to the 'issue'.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Unfortunately, many manufacturers are moving towards USB-C or proprietary, and they hit the limit of the port. If Microsoft figured out a method of implementing a second charge port on just the tablet half of the SB, there would be a viable solution to the 'issue'.

Considering the rmbp can be charged from any of the usb-c ports (albeit one at a time), I can't see why there couldn't be a board/circuit to allow for two chargers and just limit the max power that can be pushed into the battery.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Considering the rmbp can be charged from any of the usb-c ports (albeit one at a time), I can't see why there couldn't be a board/circuit to allow for two chargers and just limit the max power that can be pushed into the battery.

Too complex and large to be built in without some serious R&D. With the port being the limiting factor, can't have an external solution like some gaming laptops.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Plugging in 2+ chargers will break the ports.....

(I think, haven't watched it in a while)

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Plugging in 2+ chargers will break the ports.....

Yes, in a product with no intent or requirement of having more than a single charger, which djd pointed out you can only charge with one port at a time. There are still laptops available which do allow (and requires) more than one power connector, so it’s something that has worked before and can be implemented.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

"Guys, why not, you know, TURN OFF, YOUR LAPTOP, AND, LET IT, CHARGE. Like what dad used to do for their knockias?"

nokias never had this problem :P

3 hours ago, tsk said:

The surface charing port maxes out at 100W, they kept it for compatibility. The port is the problem, not the charger.

I can't think of any reason for that. Compatibility with what? Surely a higher tolerance port wouldn't have any problems with a lower power charger?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

the macbook pro I use for vid capture does the same thing... 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Yeah this is so odd, like charger being limiting factor like so for no reason. Like come on just why. We get that with just battery you don't want machine running max but with power cable yes. 

Though it's really a great machine and specs are great. This is what I actually expected from Surface Laptop as far as spec wise. I guess we'll see one even better. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Compatibility with what? Surely a higher tolerance port wouldn't have any problems with a lower power charger?

Chances are that a port that could accept more wattage would be physically different, likely longer or wider. The charger would follow suit with that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened.  Shield tablet could easily suck down more juice than the charger provided leading to it draining while plugged in.

Not that the fact it's happened before is in any way an excuse... it's not, this is just stupid.  But it is worth noting imo.

======

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Uhh, no.

16 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

the macbook pro I use for vid capture does the same thing... 

well obviously someone is wrong :P

=====

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

[...] People want small power supplies. [...]

As for the size of the bricks, I'm pretty sure they could pack enough power into the size they wanted if they really tried.  @iamdarkyoshi has experienced some very high power density bricks before 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*begins a 3d render overnight*

*wakes up to find laptop is dead and render failed."

Me: "Dammit!"

Microsoft did write that it would never die while charging (because it will throttle when at low battery) . Still sucks though 

21 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

-_-.

On Surface devices there's already the issue of not being able to cap CPU usage in Power Management and the inability to create proper power plans.....

because the proper modern multicore cpu technique for cpu power control is thru cpu affinity and cpu priority as with all the OC software floating around windows power management has limited control the same way windows 3d manager is limited control to nvidia/amd/intel 3d managers

so try checking for your mobo thermal and power control software to see if that where power control is