Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SolidRedIron

Which Mobo Should for Ryzen and enough to last 3 Generations of Ryzen?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am deciding between the ASUS Prime B350-Plus or the ASUS Prime X370-Pro.  I've heard good reviews from the B350, but I'm not sure if it will handle a Ryzen 3600.  I am not sure if the X370 will have a similar story or it will be able to handle it ad is more expensive.  Which one should I get?

8 minutes ago, SolidRedIron said:

I am deciding between the ASUS Prime B350-Plus or the ASUS Prime X370-Pro.  I've heard good reviews from the B350, but I'm not sure if it will handle a Ryzen 3600.  I am not sure if the X370 will have a similar story or it will be able to handle it ad is more expensive.  Which one should I get?

It's questionable if any B350 board can properly handle a current Ryzen 7, eight-core processor due to the crappy VRMs. When overclocking, the VRMs get too hot and often require the addition of a fan to blow across the VRM heatsink. I shudder to think of B350 boards handling anything in the future. If I were planning for something like that, I'd go top-end x370 (crosshair 6 hero, taichi), just to make sure. But your choice of x370 board is also a good one.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600  Board: ASRock AB350 Pro4  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0  SSD: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Acer GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz

Current Overclock: CPU at 3.8GHz at 1.35v  Temps: 30c idle / 61c load / 22c ambient  My PCPartPicker Build

13 minutes ago, SolidRedIron said:

Prime Pro all the way for more budget overclocking boards, otherwise you might as well get a $75 ASrock Pro 4 and slap a fan on the VRM

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

17 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Prime Pro all the way for more budget overclocking boards, otherwise you might as well get a $75 ASrock Pro 4 and slap a fan on the VRM

Sorry for the incredibly late response but will the Prime Pro be good enough to last 3 years worth of upgrades, or I should consider the $200 options?

17 hours ago, Streetguru said:

75 ASrock Pro 4 and slap a fan on the VRM

least futureproof  (and pretty dumb) solution

Strix RGBuild:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.9GHz 1.3625V (LLC5 flatline)

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX1060 6GB OC

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X370-F

RAM: Corsair LPX Vengeance 16gb kit 3266MHz, 16-16-16-35 1.375V

Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4

Storage: HyperX Fury 120GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Case: Phanteks P400S Tempered Glass

PSU: Corsair RM650x (80+ Gold, Fully modular)

Case fans: 2 BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 120mm PWM & 2 Pure Wings 2 140mm PWM

There's never enough RGB

4 minutes ago, SolidRedIron said:

Sorry for the incredibly late response but will the Prime Pro be good enough to last 3 years worth of upgrades, or I should consider the $200 options?

They have newer chipsets that add some features on new chips, but by and large you should be able to go up to Ryzen 3 on a board like that, especially with the solid VRM.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, SolidRedIron said:

prime x370 pro is a solid board, decent efficiency and parts

6+4 CSD 87350Q5D

Strix RGBuild:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.9GHz 1.3625V (LLC5 flatline)

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX1060 6GB OC

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X370-F

RAM: Corsair LPX Vengeance 16gb kit 3266MHz, 16-16-16-35 1.375V

Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4

Storage: HyperX Fury 120GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Case: Phanteks P400S Tempered Glass

PSU: Corsair RM650x (80+ Gold, Fully modular)

Case fans: 2 BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 120mm PWM & 2 Pure Wings 2 140mm PWM

There's never enough RGB

Just now, dave_k said:

least futureproof  (and pretty dumb) solution

As proven, it works "Fine"

Besides that's $50s saved towards your future CPU or motherboard upgrade.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, dave_k said:

prime x370 pro is a solid board, decent efficiency and parts

6+4 CSD 87350Q5D

One more thing, will the GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5 work fine for the future?

2 minutes ago, Cyborgsmith said:

BUILDZOID did a pretty good overview of the "best" boards in each category and he touches on which ones help with getting good stable memory overclocks.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcqu-9Ejf60

I saw it, but it doesn't show all the options and the Gigabyte one in the is only for amazon prime members, which I don't have.  So I was considering other options, but I don't know much about it.