how to improve air flow for my case

Linus Tech Tits

I found the area below graphic card get so hot until I can't touch the case. GPu running at 83(which is the temp limit) when I play games. I wanted to install another exhaust fan at rear to push the hot air from the card out the case but there is no spot for me to mount it anymore.

Should I mount it at the top of cpu cooler instead? 

20171122_073617.jpg

Hole in the side panel

Or faster fans / better ones

Or better heatsinks

Or get a case that has actual airflow

Where are the front fans getting air from? It looks like they're sealed in

:)

remove the air dam from the front of the case, temps will drop quite a bit because your case will suddenly have airflow

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

On 11/21/2017 at 5:48 PM, seon123 said:

Where are the front fans getting air from? It looks like they're sealed in

On 11/21/2017 at 5:51 PM, Cyracus said:

remove the air dam from the front of the case, temps will drop quite a bit because your case will suddenly have airflow

The air actually flow from the gap at the front. I am afraid that thing will go into the case and destroy the pc if I remove it

On 11/21/2017 at 5:47 PM, Turretgaming said:

Hole in the side panel

Or faster fans / better ones

Or better heatsinks

Or get a case that has actual airflow

Will a heatsinks help to improve gpu tempt? was going to get one but used up the money for a ssd

15 minutes ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

Will a heatsinks help to improve gpu tempt? was going to get one but used up the money for a ssd

Arctic Accelero 4

43 minutes ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

Your using a Zotac card right? Non reference card?
Pull off that plastic front cover and your temps will drop, easy done.

As others stated, your case doesn't have proper airflow.  Those front fans are getting very little air.  On average a fan loses 50% efficiency for every 90° turn that the air has to take.  In your case the air is entering through the small slits in the side, then has to bend forward to clear the fans and make a 180° turn to go through them.  That basically reduces your fans' efficiency to almost nothing. 

Turning the rear fan around probably won't help much as the case will then be exhausting all hot air through the holes in the rear.  That air will just get sucked back in by the fan. 

So basically your only options are:

- remove that front panel

- get longer screws and some spacers so that you can move that front panel around 5cm forward

- buy a case that has proper airflow. 

13 hours ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

I am afraid that thing will go into the case and destroy the pc if I remove it

what thing? it's just a plexiglass cover, take it away and airflow will improve.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Seriously, he can easily rip the shroud off the Zotac card and let it breath a bit. The card is infamous for being a stuff bag due to that ugly shroud.

14 hours ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

The air actually flow from the gap at the front. I am afraid that thing will go into the case and destroy the pc if I remove it

Remove it because it's restricting airflow heavily and add fan grills and try not to get anything near it.

On 11/22/2017 at 8:14 AM, Bcat00 said:

Seriously, he can easily rip the shroud off the Zotac card and let it breath a bit. The card is infamous for being a stuff bag due to that ugly shroud.

I need to find hexagon shaped screw driver (dont know what is it called) to remove it and one set of those costs 50 bucks. Zotac card thermal is crap actually , even hotter than founder edition...

On 11/22/2017 at 7:36 AM, Sierra Fox said:

what thing? it's just a plexiglass cover, take it away and airflow will improve.

Like finger? Will try to remove it before fans

.....have the computer off when you remove it. And don't stick your fingers in it. Surely curiosity won't get the better of you.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

Zotac card thermal is crap actually , even hotter than founder edition...

Your high temps are due to the lack of airflow through the case and not the card itself. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.