LTT Official Discord!

jakkuh_t
15 hours ago, dizmo said:

Really? The times, they are a-changing.

Haha, yeah that probably has something to do with it :P "What's something they all use already...oh I know, Discord!"

So, what's the point of this? You can all talk amongst each other? Is this what the kids use these days instead of ICQ?

Or is it voice based? I'm guessing it is.

Are there any alumni from The University Of British Columbia ghosting around here? In the late 80 to early 90s, there was student rag called the Discord published in the Student Union Building (SUB).  I think it was published by CITR... Heh.

37 minutes ago, PrometheanCat2 said:

Are there any alumni from The University Of British Columbia ghosting around here? In the late 80 to early 90s, there was student rag called the Discord published in the Student Union Building (SUB).  I think it was published by CITR... Heh.

Haha I'm not quite that old ;):P

I've been to UBC for a few classes and many concerts though. 

56 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

yeah ... i dig it. used ICQ when i started getting that whole internet thing.

I was a little late to the party and only joined because my uncle handed down a 28k modem (8 bit ISA slot, dip switches for IRQ and stuff instead of PnP drivers) 

napster was already gone, but i used various other iterations of p2p software ... limewire and all the different names i can't remember ... various p2p tools and protocols shooting out of the ground like mushrooms just to die about as quick. 

interesting times... 

been using ICQ all day up 'till 2010 or so but nobody really cares about it today... 

Oh man Limewire was great. I almost preferred it to Napster though I'd have both running at the same time a lot of the time. ICQ was around all the way until 2010? I think I switched to MSN around 2003. 

11 hours ago, hoboX10 said:

Alright I'll post a different issue that is very on topic. My intent was never to argue, it just always gets to me when people disregard real issues and try to pass them off as "it's only me" or other nonsense. I apologize for my side of it.

BE WARY LINKING YOUR PHONE NUMBER TO DISCORD. Personal friends of mine have had a sharp increase in spam calls after doing so for other communities they are a part of. I refuse to do it personally.

@ LTT Staff - I hope you guys can look into replacing the phone number requirement with something else eventually, but I understand the need for a serious restriction on accounts joining the channel as it is a huge community.

Remember! - Discord is free, they had no income until they released Nitro, but that can't sustain them - they make money through other methods. And they have access to everything you ever say, type, or share through discord. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Thats kind of what I figured. They should be able to do the same thing through an email address. One of the reasons I'd never do it. 

You should tag some of the specific people, there's a staff list at the top. 

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'd like to have AOL and Yahoo! Messenger to be great again

Haha, those two were never very big in Canada. The former for obvious reasons, the latter just sucked compared to the other two IIRC. 

I still remember getting those AOL discs along with the game demo discs in my PC Gamer magazines. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

ICQ was around all the way until 2010? I think I switched to MSN around 2003.

it might even be possible that the servers are still online to this day. the website is still online, and i did not hear anything about the messenger service being shut down. 

from my observation, the bigger problem is that nobody cares about icq any more ... so, even if you can technically still send and recieve messages over icq, i don't think there will be a lot of people online to talk to.  

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

it might even be possible that the servers are still online to this day. the website is still online, and i did not hear anything about the messenger service being shut down. 

from my observation, the bigger problem is that nobody cares about icq any more ... so, even if you can technically still send and recieve messages over icq, i don't think there will be a lot of people online to talk to.  

What in reading is "exclusive platform"  :P

Hahah, yeah, last time I was on there no one was on. I can't imagine a decade+ has done anything for it. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Haha I'm not quite that old ;):P

I've been to UBC for a few classes and many concerts though. 

Oh man Limewire was great. I almost preferred it to Napster though I'd have both running at the same time a lot of the time. ICQ was around all the way until 2010? I think I switched to MSN around 2003. 

Thats kind of what I figured. They should be able to do the same thing through an email address. One of the reasons I'd never do it. 

You should tag some of the specific people, there's a staff list at the top. 

Haha, those two were never very big in Canada. The former for obvious reasons, the latter just sucked compared to the other two IIRC. 

I still remember getting those AOL discs along with the game demo discs in my PC Gamer magazines. 

Kids nowadays especially in this forum will never know the struggle of using dial up internet that’s why every program back then comes with a CD. I remember being charged by the hour with our dial up internet. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

23 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Kids nowadays especially in this forum will never know the struggle of using dial up internet that’s why every program back then comes with a CD. I remember being charged by the hour with our dial up internet. 

yeah ... i remember those times as well. somewhen 2004-ish when downloading a pirated album would take forever and (thanks to pay-per-minute internet) cost about as much as going to the corner store and simply buying the CD.

but then i remember buying resident evil 5 on steam a seond time when it was on sale somewhen mid 2014 or so even though i already had it on disc.

why? because with my new cable internet it was faster to install it over steam download than to install it from the fucking disc.

we sure have come a long way. 

I get to shitpost in real time, nice. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Haha yeah! And my parents yelling at me because I'd been on it too long. You didn't even get that many hours with plans, and there was no way to hide your use. Unless you were one of those baller families with a dedicated phone line for internet. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Ugh... discord is turning floatplane into a Youtube comment section. 

17 hours ago, Djole123 said:

rip the unofficial LTT discord :(

It most likely will not go away since it was setup for StarCitizen players like myself.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha yeah! And my parents yelling at me because I'd been on it too long. You didn't even get that many hours with plans, and there was no way to hide your use. Unless you were one of those baller families with a dedicated phone line for internet. 

I tried Discord once and I felt too old for it. :dry:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I tried Discord once and I felt too old for it. :dry:

I feel the exact same way with Twitter. Snapchat. Instagram, Tinder, Live.ly, Tumblr... :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I don't see what I am getting from this except for an extra server I will never use :D

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

7 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

What? 

I don't know.xD Impulsively tagged you cause you started our discord. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

what happens to the old one. The one run by the arabs?

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

I just need to ask a question.Obviously to join the LTT Discord group you need to verify your phone number, can random people see your phone number after that? the reason I want to know this is because like an hour ago I got this text from (0771277908) which is a UK number and it said "hey babe" at first I thought someone got the wrong number but literally 2 minuets later this number started ringing me repeatedly (I declined all times). This was an obvious troll who was trying to prank me and a troll who I think doesn't understand technology because as everyone knows the number comes up on the screen, I just copied the number into my blocked numbers and I haven't any trouble since.  

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

15 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I just need to ask a question.Obviously to join the LTT Discord group you need to verify your phone number, can random people see your phone number after that? the reason I want to know this is because like an hour ago I got this text from (0771277908) which is a UK number and it said "hey babe" at first I thought someone got the wrong number but literally 2 minuets later this number started ringing me repeatedly (I declined all times). This was an obvious troll who was trying to prank me and a troll who I think doesn't understand technology because as everyone knows the number comes up on the screen, I just copied the number into my blocked numbers and I haven't any trouble since.  

Only people that see your number is Discord and I highly doubt (what everyone else says) they sell the data on. 

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the previous post about this, my bad.

If I verify with my phone number, will it make it public to anyone? I don't really care if the LTT admins see it, but I kind of don't want everyone else to be able to see it. My assumption is that it's not publicly available, but better safe than sorry.

Dude, that's some MIGHTY NICE integration with Discord and other platforms. Did someone on the Linus Team do that custom or is it part of Invision?

I linked my Discord to my Floatplane and I'm still locked out.... sadly doesn't seem to be working. 

5950X | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 | ASUS Dark Hero | EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3090 Hybrid | ASUS PG27UQ & PG279Q | Dual Samsung 970 Evo+ 2TB | Corsair AX1600i | Corsair H150i Pro Capillex | Corsair 1000D

On 11/22/2017 at 7:12 AM, PrometheanCat2 said:

I go to The University Of British Columbia a lot because I have siblings who go there. And because it's a transit hub.

Not a alumni tho

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Wait, can we have like some voice chat rooms for people to play games that aren't locked?

Like a game room 1 and game room 2? 

Beyond mainstream acceptance, what does Discord offer over mIRC? Just voice? With thousands of people is voice really relevant?